Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-24-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Via and similar owners with 1 AC

My Via has a single, ducted 13,500 unit. Have not been through a summer with it yet. Those of you with the Via or similar 25 footers with a 13,500, does it keep up? I know sun or shade makes a huge difference but shade is not always possible. Some of our travels will take us through desert climates not to mention we live in the desert although stored indoors. I'm sure starting the generator and running the coach air a couple hours before making camp should help right?
Old 04-25-2021, 12:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Single AC

My 32 ft intent has a similar setup with a single ducted ac. We also live in the desert. A few things we have done. Insulated the doghouse to help keep the coach cooler while driving and cut reflective insulated foil for all windows when parked. Added Velcro to reflective insulation and place over vent fans. We start the rv genie at 7 am to cool the coach and head out after 10 am. This really helps. We travel with the genie running and powering the roof top ac, while running the coach/motor ac.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I used to have a 29' Thor ACE with one 15,000 roof AC. It was not enough! and I live in the midwest.

The biggest source for heat when parked is the windshield. My wife went to a fabric store and found a see through yet reflective type of material. The base was black with small reflective mirror like pieces glued to the one side. She made a curtain for the front windshield. That helped more than any thing and we could still see out.

I cut a piece of styrofoam to place in the roof vent fan casing. We also used a small rotating fan to help move the air around.

All ways run with the gen. on and the ac cranking if you do not you will never caatch up.

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks, I have a big roll of Reflectix on hand to make a windshield cover and side window/hatch covers. Will see how it goes. Thought about the shade product they sell to cover the roof but it looks like a real pain to put on, probably worth it for something like Burning Man tho.....not so much for a day or two here and there.
https://www.shaderv.com/product-page...-canopy-system
Old 04-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Reflectix is what I used (couldn’t recall the name last night). Just used the pull down shades to help hold them in. Bonus the bedroom no longer has light coming in the morning through the shades. Really like the Magneshade, but couldn’t justify the price tag. Reflectix very inexpensive fix.