Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-01-2022, 07:46 PM   #1
New to this....

How much do you believe you bring with you?

Just curious, how much weight do you think you add to your travel trailer when you go on a trip?

Just trying to get an idea.

Whats your trailer length?
How long of a trip?
How many people?
How many days food?
Clothes? Etc?

We’re planning at least a two week to and fro. 4 people and dog.
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Micro Minnie 2100 BH with four people and one dog.

All stuff in exterior storage compartments: 223 lbs.
Interior stuff (contents of all interior cabinets and bedding/pillows): 200 lbs.
Total weight of all modifications: 83 lbs.

Total was 506 lbs added for everything needed except water, clothes, and food. This 506 lbs stayed in the trailer always. The water/clothes/food was added just prior to each trip.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:45 PM   #3
Site Team

The only true way to tell is to load up fully for a camping trip. Put water in the tank and drive to a CAT Scale at the nearest truck stop and weigh it.

This is a time consuming but vital thing to do. Overlooked by many because it's a hassle. To simplify the process say you're leaving on Wednesday, have everything loaded and ready the day before and take it to a nearby truck stop for weighing.

No guessing required. Now you not only know it's real world, fully loaded weight but you have it on paper.

There are plenty of guides online for how to weigh your TT or Motorhome effectively at a CAT Scale. Oh, and get the "weigh my truck" app for your smart phone and create an account online at home before you go to the truck stop. This makes it super easy.
Old 01-02-2022, 03:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

On any RV we have owned, it would vary a whole bunch as each trip is different depending on lots of small points.
When we were younger, we often loaded much heavier due to kids and then as they got older the type of stuff we hauled changed, sometimes much heavier, sometimes lighte.
Where we are going dictates what clothing and how much. If we are going for a beach trip, it is much lighter than if we are going for a wedding, etc which requires many more clothes like different shoes and apparel.

I would start out with the idea that I will not ever run things very close to the limits. Life works better if I don't blow a tire!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:17 PM   #5
New to this....

Well when I created it, I thought it seemed to be a simple enough question.

But thank you for replying
Old 01-03-2022, 04:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Micro Minnie 2106DS
10 nights
2 people, 1 dog, & 1 cat

I was up to a little over 1000 lbs from listed base weight. Listed dry weight was 3895 lbs, weighed at CAT scale and was 5065 lbs.

I do have 2 12v FL batts and 2 - 20 lbs propane tanks

We had probably 5-6 days of food and drink.

Water tank had about 10 gals + 6 Gal in the HW tank.

I also carry it the trailer some of the special tools I need for the trailer (large wrenches, torque wrench and sockets, and tire tools.

Chevrolet Silverado RST Z71 Duramax 3.0l
Blacktoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

On a late summer 3 week trip to Maine, our 22ft Micro Minnie weighed in at 4650, 350lbs under GVWR. We do carry one extra Reliant 7gal fresh water jug under the dinette, and full fresh tank. Likely our weight will increase by 100lbs or so on our upcoming 2 month sojourn. Wife/husband and a cat.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:53 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Recently completed a solo (+ 9 lb. dog) 3000 mile, 2-month trip to FL in my 22' MM.

As Creativepart mentioned, weighing in at a CAT scale is an invaluable tool. I've done it 4 times in the last year, each instance prior to getting new gear and/or customizing a trip. I'll weigh in the night before at a CAT scale with all water tanks empty, no cold food, no generator, full tank of gas and a recent e-bike addition. I considered this a bare minimum.

Trailer Axle was 4500. GVWR was 200 lbs. under, however rear GAWR was 120 lbs. OVER. This was primarily due to carting the e-bike with me (70 lbs.) in the truck bed. I do not have a WDH, and although it towed just fine, this latest weigh leads me to believe that I'd be a candidate for one.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I think you'll find that this is highly individualized. Some people are loaded with everything possible including heavy BBQs, tools, fishing gear, repair parts, books, camping equipment (lanterns, chairs, sunrooms, etc.), bicycles, lots of pots and pans, etc., while others are much more conservative and pack like they're loading up a car for a trip.

It's not so much the clothes and food that add up, it's all the other stuff, mainly what stays on board between trips, along with water and LPG. Two 6v golf cart batteries will weigh in at 120 lbs or so, vs. a single Group 24 "RV" battery at about 45 lbs. Note that the LPG and batteries are all tongue weight.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:18 AM   #10
New to this....

I do understand that how much one brings is individualized. As I said in my op, I’m just trying to get an idea.
Every RV is individual, every trip can be individual as well. I was also hoping there were more people similar to 4 persons, and a dog.
I’m starting to see this forum isn’t largely used.
And yes I understand it is a Winnebago forum.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 w/ 4:10 Gear Ratio 2.5" Receiver. Z82 Package.
2022 Winnebago 2301BHS, w/ Victron Solar System
Old 01-04-2022, 12:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
I’m starting to see this forum isn’t largely used.
And yes I understand it is a Winnebago forum.
I'm not sure what you mean by this comment. You had eight responses in four days.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 01:55 PM   #12
New to this....

Nothing negative, just not as busy as I had hoped. Or lurkers like on most forums
Old 01-04-2022, 05:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I’d guess you’re looking at 800-1200 lbs of gear+water+clothing+food if you really focus on controlling weight.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:53 AM   #14
New to this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I’d guess you’re looking at 800-1200 lbs of gear+water+clothing+food if you really focus on controlling weight.
I’d imagine when you say gear, your meaning equipment necessary to the trailer. To include tools to fix things, etc?

My trailer can hold up to 2000 lbs of cargo, I don’t imagine needing that much stuff.
I’ll find out soon enough how much we get up to as we are taking delivery tomorrow. Just bringing enough to get us through a night of course.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Gear being things like camp chairs, leveling blocks, wheel chocks, x-chocks, extension for 50-amp cord, adapters, EMS unit, water hoses, water filter, pressure regulator, dump hose and accessories, electric heater, bucket, axe, marshmallow sticks, broom, mop, flashlights, cups, plates, silverware, pots, pans, oven mitts, bedding (and mattress toppers), trash cans, plastic bags, dog bowls/chains/toys, bug spray, sunscreen, matches, board games, puzzles, deck of cards... it goes on and on and on.

I kept the tools and firewood in the truck.

I hope delivery goes well and you love your new toy!
Old 01-09-2022, 08:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
.................We’re planning at least a two week to and fro. 4 people and dog.
I don't know what kind of tow vehicle you have, but if it is a 1/2 ton truck and you travel with four people and a dog you biggest concern should be your TV's payload.

Four people, dog, tongue weight of your trailer, weight of your WDH and whatever stuff you haul in the bed of your truck???....do the math as all this counts against your payload.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:58 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Well when I created it, I thought it seemed to be a simple enough question.

But thank you for replying
It’s not simple. Some people are minimalists and carry very little. Others need to bring everything. That’s why I have a truck that has way more capacity than I need. It also why I have a trailer with a high cargo capacity. Some trailers limit you to less than 500 lbs. decide what you want to carry and estimate the weight. Get a trailer that can carry it and get a big truck.
When we move to another state a few years ago we had a national moving company handle this for us. They estimate the total weight and boxes needed. They were within I believe 200 lbs. If they can do it you can do it. Firewood is heavy. Bikes, chairs, tools, grills, canned goods, weight lifting set, it all adds up.
I can’t do it for you. You need to do the work yourself. Start with paper and pencil and start listing everything. When you’re finished you will have a list that is for you. Not for or from someone else. It’s yours. Add up the estimated weight and voila! you’ve got the number you seek.
See how simple that was ?
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:33 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Always thought we were over weight

As my husband can’t go anywhere without every tool imaginable, and every other thing too, I always thought we had to be over weight.

We finally stopped at a closed weigh station just to see, and found we were actually under weight!

Do look for and take advantage of closed weigh stations. Although closed for the day, not the permanently closed ones, most still have the scales operating and the reader boards also. It’s a great way to check without worrying that you’ll get ticketed before you can adjust and remove stuff if you are over weight.
Joette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:48 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Many who are new to rving, and especially, new to trailering, find it difficult to figure out what/trailer combo works for you. Making a mistake can be very costly. That’s why we’re here to advise; folks who’ve got a lot of miles trailering and motorhoming. Personally, I don’t buy the “get a big truck” as an absolute. I favor, “get the appropriate truck for the trailer you want”. There are many reasons to opt for a truck that isn’t “big”. One reason might be that your better half won’t drive a big truck. Another might be fuel economy. Another might be accessibility to small spaces, and parkability. And still another might be, which vehicle fits you best as a daily driver. Of course, I’ll eat those words should we decide to get a bigger trailer in the future, but for now, a “big” truck doesn’t make any sense for us.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:32 PM   #20
New to this....

While web forums can be helpful at times. With advice from the many on them, they can also be very frustrating when an answering party reads into the question.
As far as my question here goes, it was meant to be very simple question.

How much stuff do you feel you bring with you?

It wasn’t so I can gauge how much stuff I can bring. I was just genuinely curious as to how much stuff people are bringing on a trip. Everyone has their reasons why they bring what they do.

I’m not upset about it, I will be joining other forums as well, just to get a wider range of information.