Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2023, 08:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Questions... Considering an Adventure 35F

Been reading through many of the threads in this section looking for answers to some questions I've got regarding the 35F. Didn't have much luck so figured I'd ask directly.

We're coming from towing a 37' Jayco FW the past 4 years with Duramax Chevy's. Now, we're looking for a change and these units are a potential option.

So, here's my questions.

1) I have low expectations as to handling. It's a giant box on leaf springs, but how is this one out of the box. I see they already have Sumos, but will I need to do the CHF, shocks, stabalizer bar etc to make it bearable?

2) The gas A's that my current brand puts out have issues with the Onan 5500 quitting while driving once the outside temps climb(90's F). That one is mounted in a different location(front side) but wondering if that's an issue with these. That would be a deal breaker as I would assume the F53 dash AC is pretty useless in this application.

3) I live in Texas, and while we generally avoid anything local from mid June to October, how is the heat managment with one 15K and one 13.5k AC. My FW has two 15K units, and while it has a hair more length and a taller ceiling, it doesn't have the big front window that I would assume gets pretty hot sitting in sun even with the shades down.

4) I'm on my third unit now, so I understand how things are going need tinkering and fixing here and there. Rare for me to do a trip where the tools don't come out. Part of the hobby and all that. Overall though how has your experience been with reliability and workmanship?

5) Like a millions others out there, we'd like to drag a 4dr wrangler behind us which would come in just under the 5K tow limit. Can the 7.3 motor handle this in headwinds or if we run up to CO. I know I'll be the slow guy in the right lane which is fine, but just wanting to know if that's too much for it. We travel pretty light with just one kid and a couple dogs, so I'd assume I'd be able to keep it under the GCVWR.

I think that's it. Thanks for your input. Sorry in advance if I didn't search enough for all this.
Boxer1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 07:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

So, not your model, but probably very similar results so here you go...
1) We just put in a rear Trac bar. Handling is no worries. Includes high winds and passing semis. No gas MH likes bumps...just slow down..
2) No problems running the generator, including traveling route 66 across your panhandle last August.
3) You'll struggle in high heat to stay cool based. But I think all do. The ACs only reduce the outside air by 20 degrees or so. Think of 80 as your afternoon temp, but drops nicely when the sun goes down.
4) Some problems, but would buy one again no question.
5) Tow a Bronco so a bit heavier, but we go slow up and down. Been up as high as 8600 feet in Angelfire. No issues. Just the spark plug wire thing.
Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230805_202411.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	186894  
Old 08-06-2023, 08:24 AM   #3
Site Team

Scott covered it all well. We have a 2017 Adventurer 37F.

Handling is mostly fixable, ride however is lousy and bad roads seem to be everywhere. We go 63 mph and limit driving to lees than 300 mi per day. OR you can spend $25k on a Liquid Spring upgrade and drive happy.

Dual A/Cs are fine up to ~95 degree outside temps. We’re in Texas, too. We just camped in 104 degrees and with all shades drawn, and starting with the coach at 69 degrees inside in the morning all was fine until about 2pm when the inside started to climb. By 6pm it peaked at 83 inside and just starting to drop a little. By bedtime we were back down to 72 inside.

Like you we don’t go camping between mid-June and late September. But needed a weekend away this past week.

We tow a 4400# toad. It’s no problem. We have the V-10 and average 6.4 mpg but that figure isn’t based on miles alone. It also includes all generator running and all idle time as well. And you idle while operating jacks and slides, so it’s not nothing.

We have 6-years and just under 50,000 mi on our coach purchased new in 2017. No major issues, a few minor expenses. Never bought a Service Contract and never needed one either. We would have wasted that money had we gotten one.

Hope this helps. We had three TTs before and a Class C, but this Adventurer has been a real nice final RV.
Old 08-06-2023, 06:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the reply’s. All useful stuff. The one I’m looking at comes from the factory with Sumos and Safe T Plus steering stabilizer so maybe handling won’t be too bad. We may see about a test drive tomorrow. Also, I’m confused on the AC. Some things I’ve read say there’s two 13.5k, the dealer spec sheet lists it at 28.5 total so that led me to believe it’s a 15 and a 13.5. Something I can look into at a dealer. One more thing. How’s the gen noise outside when parked? Think it would be louder than my Champion 3400 dual fuel inverter gen? Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2023, 07:50 PM   #5
Site Team

If you told us the model year we could give you a link to the brochure which will tell you about the A/Cs.

The generator isn’t real quiet inside or outside. It’s not terrible but we all want to use our generators as little as possible. I don’t know how noisy your Champion is. But it’s 3400w and the motorhome generator is 5500w. Big difference with two A/Cs.

Adding bigger beefier roll bars really helps with body tilting on turns and road transitions.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks again for all the info. They must be loud as I’ve never heard one running on a gas C or A unless I’ve been at a gas station or rest stop. We’ll go test drive this morning and check it out. If we did this, there’s some sacrifice going from a FW to this platform. Of course it’s more costly to operate and purchase, but also I’ve been spoiled by the quiet and relatively smooth ride in my truck as well as the ease of fueling at truck stop pumps. It’s about compromise I suppose. Sacrifice those items and the nicer interior space/comfort for being self contained and more space for pets/kiddo when underway. I’ll report back on my impressions.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:27 AM   #7
Site Team

We've never had a 5er, but compared to towing a bumper-pull travel trailer we find the Class A much superior. We love the huge window, the high floor/seating, the ease of setup and break down, the all on one level floor plan, etc.

Yes, it bangs and thuds on rough roads and bridge transitions, but once you get the hang of driving it, and learn to respect the sizable tail swing behind the rear axle in close quarters parking lot turns it's better over all in my book.

I used to own a 31' sailboat. I remember the first time I steered it. I thought I'll never be able to master this thing. But soon after I was backing it in, with one hand on the wheel and the other on a cold drink.

When you do your test drive you'll feel like everything around you is just waiting to jump out into your path and a feeling of eminent doom. This too shall pass.
Old 08-07-2023, 01:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Well, we went and test drove a 2023 35F and looked over a 2023 34 something(W?) inside. Very nice units. The driving was pretty easy. Not at all overwhelming coming from my FW. Took to that pretty well. Did a couple highway runs at 65 and some time on the rougher frontage road. Did get some sway as I was passed by a fast moving Ford Ranger. Sure an 18 wheeler would be pretty pronounced. Very little body roll or at least nothing like
I expected. The hardest part was just the constant steering inputs but I’m sure I’d relax overtime as I got a feel for how much I could safely let it wander.

The product has some really nice features. Lots of nice details on the interior and things outside that added to the convenience of it. The one we drove was probably not representative of the brand overall. Missing a part that latches the front grill. The front end letters just said GO as all the others fell off in transit do the dealer. Also, the slide topper over the LR slide was gone. Just sealant goo left from the brackets. All fixable I’m sure.

All that being said, we decided we’d really miss the interior of the FW and nice ride/handling. More home like than camper like. I knew the difference going into this, but it was good to let my family see it and give their impressions. We did love the giant front view while driving. Front seats were great too. That was cool.

Thanks again for all the insight. Very nice RV’s but just not our flavor….for now. May revisit this again when the pet count decreases, and it’s just the two of us.
Old 08-13-2023, 09:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

2019 Adventurer 35F

No front end upgrades (except bilsteen shocks). No issues driving. Changed shocks to limit porpoising). Sometimes have to double hand it when being passed, but not every 18 wheeler.

No issues with generator stopping or noise. Rear mounted in 35F. Front A/C works well on most days, unless you have passengers in the back. On very hot days had to run generator and roof AC.
eaglelen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent