Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2022, 04:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dare I pull in?

Does anyone know of an app or site to find out which has gas stations that are RV friendly ( room to move around ). When im on the road I cringe at times getting gas where there's no room. Between our RV. And pulling a car we are at 50' plus in length. Always seem to get by some how.
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:51 PM   #2
Site Team

I don’t know of any general app that does this. Some branded truck stops have their own app that lists RV Friendly. Pilot/Flyin J does I know.

What I do is plan out my gas stops the day before we travel and use the Gas Buddy app to find stations on my route and current pricing. When I find a likely candidate I the use Google Maps satellite image to look at entrances, exits and pump locations. But even then it can be a crap shoot until you get there. So have a backup plan.

We got a Pilot/Flying J discount payment card. It saves $.05 per gallon and doesn’t cut off the pump at a preset number like $75-$100. You connect it with your checking account and they bill you once per month and you debit the payment manually from your checking acct.

So we use their app to find the RV Friendly stops.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:57 PM   #3
Site Team

I always try to find a Costco for gas, if I can, as they tend to be RV friendly. I still check the entrance and exit with Google Maps.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Even the best planned stop can go bad on you, so we do lots of slowdown look before going any place we can't see the full path to get out. Co pilot has to jump and run look at times!
Things that look good on the early view can get really messed up if the fuel truck has the path around back totally blocked!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:25 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Creativepart pretty well nailed the approach to this issue. I mostly hit Flying J's with dedicated RV lanes and pumps. I may have a different Flying J RV card as I am getting 7 cents per gallon off at Pilot and Flying J. Its an actual gas credit card and its somehow links to Good Sams membership???

The only thing I'd add is that when I Google locations for non Flying J sites I use aerial and street views to seek out stations with easier access and pump islands parallel (rather than perpendicular) to the adjacent highway as maneuverability is often better. All that said , parallel fuel islands can clump up with congestion sometimes making them a pain.

One thing I don't like about Flying J is that its my understanding it is not a Tier one fuel.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:34 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
I always try to find a Costco for gas, if I can, as they tend to be RV friendly. I still check the entrance and exit with Google Maps.
That’s the one place I never go to gas up my RV. Their low price makes them so crowed. In fact, I avoid going to Walmart gas station most times for the same reason. These places are crowded with shoppers even if the price isn’t the lowest.

We’re in Tucson right now and gas is about 3.39/ gal here. The lowest price here according to Gas Buddy is 3.09/ gal. There is a QT station near us that is that price and we needed gas in our toad. We tried to fill up there but it was so chaotic with people desperately trying to queue up that we gave up.

It’s the same with the RV. We don’t want to pay the highest price but we’ll pay $.05 - $.10 over the lowest price in an area if it’s an easier time filling.

We usually fill at 1/2 a tank - 40 gals. So paying $.05 more is only $2.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Wow, I need to start checking ahead. We pulled in to gas station selling diesel in Florida along the Gulf coast. Had plenty of room to get around with my tow until the fleet delivery truck pull in and blocked my exit path. I polite asked if he could hold off a minute and let me pull out. He suggested I back up to which I replied not with a tow attached. He rudely suggested I should of brought a better tow package and proceeded to block my exit path with his delivery hoses. I kept my cool went inside the store and ordered sandwiches and waited 30 minutes. Yea I much prefer a truck stop over a gas station these days.
Sparky19053 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:38 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
One thing I don't like about Flying J is that its my understanding it is not a Tier one fuel.

I assume you mean Top Tier fuel? I try to only use a Top Tier brand whenever possible, Gas Buddy used to have a "Top Tier" sort option but dropped it a few years ago, that made searching so much easier. I haven't tried the AAA app yet, but I assume you have to be a member to use it. Two of the Flying J's here in Wyoming are Conoco stations, but the only way I've found to know that for sure is to look at the awning over the pumps for a brand name in Google street view.

We've driven through Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico with the motor home, and generally find that the exits a little away from town have gas stations with 20' awnings and enough room to maneuver, and always at least one Top Tier station like Exxon/Mobil, Shell, Conoco or other. Sometimes we need to wait to get an end spot to make it easier to get out. Even if I'm down to 1/4 tank and need a 60 gallon fill, I'm not going out of my way to save $0.10/gal. I'm on vacation, and convenience and simplicity are easily worth an extra 6-7 bucks on a fill.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I don’t know of any general app that does this. Some branded truck stops have their own app that lists RV Friendly. Pilot/Flyin J does I know.

What I do is plan out my gas stops the day before we travel and use the Gas Buddy app to find stations on my route and current pricing. When I find a likely candidate I the use Google Maps satellite image to look at entrances, exits and pump locations. But even then it can be a crap shoot until you get there. So have a backup plan.

We got a Pilot/Flying J discount payment card. It saves $.05 per gallon and doesn’t cut off the pump at a preset number like $75-$100. You connect it with your checking account and they bill you once per month and you debit the payment manually from your checking acct.

So we use their app to find the RV Friendly stops.
I take a similar approach when I plan my trip entire trip. Once I have it set I see what stations are at my exit or near and decided based on that. I have several apps for Pilot/Flying J, Sheetz, Gas buddy etc... then I check prices because I've seen a station at my exit being 70 cents more than the exit before or after it. I google the area and run it to street level to make sure it is wide open now that I have a 45' DP towing our car I want to make sure. I find it easier on the highway though more expensive even with the discounts from the big names. A difference in price can add up IMHO but if it's not an easy place to get in and out it's not worth it. Another thing about truck stops it has the large flow pumps so you can fill up a lot quicker.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:08 PM   #10
2018 22M

I'm with Creativepart.....

I'm similar to Creativepart. Even if the gas is not as good at Flying J, that is my top pick due to the ease (I find that to be almost always true) of using their RV lanes and I also have the Pilot/Flying J Charge card. I get 6 cents/gal off due to being a lifetime Good Sam member (gonna call about 7 cents now! haha). The RV pumps are outdated, often no receipt, and no cover - yet I can live with that better than getting stuck. If it isn't crowded, I'll go over to the regular covered area pumps and already be headed out with no chance of obstruction. Otherwise I always look at the Google maps aerial and street views. Many Pilot Travel Centers say RV Friendly that are NOT. There's not enough room to maneuver, in many cases, due to cars parked in front of the 'storefront' and so pulling forward to get out can be problematic or impossible. I flat tow too (ie no backing up) so I'm pretty OCD about checking ahead. Good luck!
dnta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

When I'm traveling through unknown territory I use Google Earth to look at potential fueling sites inconjunction with looking up truck stops.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:10 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I use Gas Buddy. Approach slow, look for an exit route, then look for the diesel pump. It is usually on the end island. Not hard and cheaper than truck stops.
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:11 PM   #13
2018 22M

Good point BVT! I also do my searches for Truck Stops and go to Love's and etc when I don't have a Flying J on route.
dnta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

There's a book and an App called Next Exit

Both the book and the app cover the Federal Interstates and list all the services for each exit in both directions. The entries for the gas stations tell you if they have RV-friendly pumps. We traded down from a 32 foot Class A and Toad to a 23 foot Class C that doesn't require us to tow just for this reason. Good luck!
Bomba Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:46 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks

Thanks to all....
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:09 AM   #16
WinnieAdven38

Far to many gas stations around, as well as far too many RVing configurations, to really provide any commonized recommendations.

However - such is app really not needed as there are many good tools already available. After using our Gas Buddy and/or Allstays app to ID best prices, and preferred gas stations (prefer Flying J or Pilot) at stations along our desired travel route I then use Google maps to plan out a route as well as their satellite and street views to assess access. I find that ingress access to often be better than egress access, as many stations place their pumps perpendicular to the main building - often very close, with some not allowing sufficient space for pulling through after filling up. Having an exit plan is far more important than an entry.

That is why I prefer Flying J because they often have dedicated RV lanes which are pull-thru as well as often having water, propane and a dump station right there.

But I also use Google Satellite view to look at far more than gas stations. I use it to look at campsite access, and even Walmart parking lot access, as have found some which are very tight. Also good to plan head for a Walmart overnight to find any good spots along the perimeter of their lot. For LP Gas fill-ups Google is essential, as many LP stations do not have easy or adequate access for RV fill-ups. Even U-Haul does not always offer RV friendly access as each station is different.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:51 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

BLUF:
Avoiding being blocked or difficult entry and exits is a high priority and so is saving money too but planning ahead is the best answer. Use of Your favorite mapping tool with satellite views helps but won’t show an entrance or exit you drag while driving through. So we plan two fuel stop locations giving us a plan B.

I reviewed the Next Exit App and it has horrible reviews and it is not free.

Enjoy the ride!
Rickb33952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:21 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Wife pulls out discount card , fines station, Goggle earth the station. As we get close will make the go/no go, pull in or next one. Never less than a 1/3 tank.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:29 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Open Roads Program

There seems to be a combo of gas and diesel users giving opinions on what they do.

We are diesel (45RL Grand Tour) and always use the truck lanes without any problem.

I highly recommend the TSD Logistics fueling program that offers great discounts, for example Love's travel centers discount is 28 cents a gallon ($0.28/gallon). We have gotten higher discounts from smaller regional provider's. We really like it and never had issues with getting in/out of anywhere.

The program is called Open Roads and they have their own app which provides pricing on a map in your area.

https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/

As for gas guzzling units, I wonder if toggling the "truck Stop" box in the sort menu on gas buddy would help you guys looking for more room??
weirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:59 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

This isn't an ap but a good tip. I avoid gas stations where you have to pull in verticle to the store. I prefer stations that have pumps that are horizontal to the store. When you are facing the store, anyone can suddenly pull into a storefront space and block your exit. Also, Bucees has so many pumps that there are always several that are RV friendly. Their prices are usually very competitive to other area stations.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote