Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
ymi
Winnebago Camper

OK - I dropped a film card from my digital camera - where did it go? Right onto that floor vent under the pull out table. With my little fingers I managed to turn it just enough........so that is slipped between the metal vanes and plunged down to....?????? Not in my hot water heater compartment. Not in the bay behind that. Has anyone climbed under the coach to see if there is space above the hot water heater compartment as seen from the frame rail? - I have time and more cards - this one was empty (whew). I am looking for input before tearing things apart (the distaff side gets nervous when I start opening up things that came CLOSED!
Old 01-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
ymi
Winnebago Camper

OK - I dropped a film card from my digital camera - where did it go? Right onto that floor vent under the pull out table. With my little fingers I managed to turn it just enough........so that is slipped between the metal vanes and plunged down to....?????? Not in my hot water heater compartment. Not in the bay behind that. Has anyone climbed under the coach to see if there is space above the hot water heater compartment as seen from the frame rail? - I have time and more cards - this one was empty (whew). I am looking for input before tearing things apart (the distaff side gets nervous when I start opening up things that came CLOSED!
Old 01-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Could you get a vacuum in the area? Might try cover the nozzle with cheese cloth to allow air to pass through, see if you can suck the card up. Might even try using a smaller hose if you need too. Good luck!
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Maybe I'm not understanding but why not unscrew the vent cover and look down in the area/hole? Some of our vents are flat just like in a house and some do have a rather deep hole but I think in all of them we can reach and see with a flash light.

We replaced all the vent covers with the kind that open and close to help control the heat and also did not screw them down. It's been a year and have had no problems with them not being secured down. Makes it easy to pull them up to clean down inside. Also you can buy a little pad like thing that fits in the vent so that "little" things won't fall thru. We have cats so they are handy for us.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

From your description I'm guessing yours is a gas coach. If it is, the register is a cold air return for the in floor heater(The heat is supplied by the Motoraid coil on the water heater and there's a 2 speed fan switch on the dash) just behind the dog house.

I believe the 35 and longer coaches have a removable panel on the bottom of the compartment just behind the water heater. You have to crawl under the coach to find it.

If it doesn't have the removable panel the only way in the compartment is to either remove the water heater, or have a small enough double jointed arm and go down the duct.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ymi:
OK - I dropped a film card from my digital camera - where did it go? Right onto that floor vent under the pull out table. With my little fingers I managed to turn it just enough........so that is slipped between the metal vanes and plunged down to....?????? Not in my hot water heater compartment. Not in the bay behind that. Has anyone climbed under the coach to see if there is space above the hot water heater compartment as seen from the frame rail? - I have time and more cards - this one was empty (whew). I am looking for input before tearing things apart (the distaff side gets nervous when I start opening up things that came CLOSED! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 2001 Adventurer 35U and the vent does not lead to a storage compartment but into a duct as I recall. For best access you would have to remove the floor vent and then reach in and feel for the card or try to vacuum it up. You may have to unscrew the flip up table from the wall to get floor vent off or to get a better view of things. I would be reluctant to try pulling ductwork out from below unless the card or its contents were extremely valuable.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Yep it is a cold air return to the motor aid heat system in a gas coach. You may have to take the small table off the wall above it,(easy to remove), if your coach has one. Remove the register cover and some one you know should have a small enough hand and arm to carefully feel around in the duct for your card. The duct is basically flat, card probably would not travel far inside it. Good Luck.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
ymi
Winnebago Camper

Yep - mine is a gasser and yes the table is there and the space where the vent is, is almost right on top of it so no room for my fat arm to make any turn or get a vac in (although that was a great idea)---it is a tough call - an empty $20 card VS the wrath of the NAVIGATOR - and it is the backup camera I'll probably make some attempt but not to pull the table off. It never occured to me that it was the motoraid return - thanks for the help.......love this forum stuff!!!