Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Vectra, Tour, Horizon and Ellipse (maybe others too) have a problem when parking. Since the storage bays come out with the slide it can be a problem opening the doors with bushes, shrubs and other objects being to close. I have been thinking of getting a stick to use as a quick guage. Then I thought of the Awning Pull Down Rod!!!

When you pull into an RV parking spot you can quickly pull out the Awning Pull Down Rod and place one end against the side of the coach with the slides in. If there is an object within 3" of the end of the rod you will have problems opening the storage bay doors. - Move over and re-park.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Vectra, Tour, Horizon and Ellipse (maybe others too) have a problem when parking. Since the storage bays come out with the slide it can be a problem opening the doors with bushes, shrubs and other objects being to close. I have been thinking of getting a stick to use as a quick guage. Then I thought of the Awning Pull Down Rod!!!

When you pull into an RV parking spot you can quickly pull out the Awning Pull Down Rod and place one end against the side of the coach with the slides in. If there is an object within 3" of the end of the rod you will have problems opening the storage bay doors. - Move over and re-park.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-30-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Adrian
Your always thinking !!
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Also, if the campground roads are really busy you can wrap red tape on the end of the awning rod, wear sunglasses, and take your German Shepherd for a walk and all of the traffic will stop for you.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cruzer:
Also, if the campground roads are really busy you can wrap red tape on the end of the awning rod, wear sunglasses, and take your German Shepherd for a walk and all of the traffic will stop for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny...somehow I think you've tried that!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We get out the yard stick and we use one stick length for the slide to go out and two lengths for the slide plus opening the basement doors.

I did find another use for the awning rod - we have the shade cloth (Patty-O-Shade) that is slid in the A&E patio awning slot; the first time I tried to slide the shade cloth by hand in the groove (and moving the ladder ten times) I decided there must be a better way. I installed two grommets near the top of the cloth at each end and now I can grab the grommet with the awning hook and pull it along the A&E roller. One person still needs to feed the shade cloth from a ladder, but it now takes about three minutes or less to get it deployed.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:55 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

John,when you are using the patio shade do you disable the wind sensor?

I ordered the shade as well,but figured the wind sensor rendered it useless....

The manual does say that "temporarily" winding the shade in with the awning would not hurt anything,they just advise not to store it that way...
Old 03-30-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Bob - oh yeah - I cut off the wind sensor when the shade cloth gets installed. I have found there are very few occasions where the weather is nice enough to put the shade cloth out

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Here's another use. I got tired of listening to the microwave vent banging when the wind was on that side of our coach. I cut a 4 inch piece of foam pipe insulation and put double stick tape on the inside back wall. I put the awning rod inside the foam tape against the sticky tape and then use the rod to stick the foam insulation inside the vent. The awning rod can also be used to remove the foam.

BE SURE TO REMOVE THE FOAM BEFORE USING THE MICROWAVE/CONVENTION OVEN.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
gMw
Winnebago Owner

When we locked ourselves out of the RV, I used my awning rod to 'fish' for the key's I'd left on the dash board. Luckily the passenger side window wasn't locked and provide access. Hopefully don't do that again..
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:12 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:
Here's another use. I got tired of listening to the microwave vent banging when the wind was on that side of our coach. I cut a 4 inch piece of foam pipe insulation and put double stick tape on the inside back wall. I put the awning rod inside the foam tape against the sticky tape and then use the rod to stick the foam insulation inside the vent. The awning rod can also be used to remove the foam.

BE SURE TO REMOVE THE FOAM BEFORE USING THE MICROWAVE/CONVENTION OVEN. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do just about the very same thing. I leave the foam in there while traveling so they vent isnt banging all the time. Actually I leave it in alllll the time, cause my Microwave vents inside and not out so the outside vent is worthless to me anyways!!
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #12
doc
Winnebago Owner

Can use it to push/pull pads under the jack bases

Smash the head of a snake who insists on sharing the campsite

Pull a hot skillet from the campfired grill

Retrieve items the wind blows under the MH

Hold down end of table cloth on windy day

Drag water hose, cable etc under the RV when they are on the wrong side of the site.

are there other uses??
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I have 2" x 12" blocks to put under my jacks when I am parked on surfaces where I think the jacks will "sink in"

I have drilled 5/8" holes through the blocks so that I can move them around without crawling under the rig ...

Versatile tool those awning rods ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Cruzer has the best idea, course I fell off the road into a ditch once.. The other time I burnt my hand roasting marshmellows...
Only RVers could come up with so many good uses for a metal rod...Good Miles to all,
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:54 AM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

I could ask my wife,but I'm pretty sure after listening to me talk about this coach, she's already thought of a place to put that awning rod....
Old 03-31-2006, 05:32 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Adrian
You've made us all think on overtime
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:00 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I did a survey years ago on IRV2 regarding different uses for the awning rod. I think we compiled 26 unique uses for the tool. When I do a walk thru I always tell the customer that pulling down the awning is one use, but there are 25 more, it really gets them thinking....

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:31 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

The Nor'easters know all too well what Capt. Bud uses his awning rod for.Lets see,Penn. a few years ago

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:59 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

We were sitting by some really nice people tonight who have a Meridian and out of the blue he tells me of a use he came up with for the awning rod. I promised him that I would post it tonight and give him credit for the idea.

His name is Dick Hawkins from Washington - this is really a great idea - If you have a 2 piece ladder on the back of your coach and need a place to hang cloths to dry - take the bottom piece of of your ladder - turn it upside down and hang it on the bottom step of the fixed part of your ladder - put the loop part of the awning rod on the bottom step - hold the ladder out level and hook the awning rod on the fixed portion of the ladder - now you have a place to hang cloths to dry- good idea - huh

Idea of Dick Hawkins of Washington

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-01-2006, 02:43 AM   #20
Administrator Emeritus

Good one Adrian....or I guess Dick Hawkins!!

You need to get Mr. Hawkins on board iRV2!!

If you send me an address for him, I'll even send him an iRV2.com sticker for that coach.