Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2023, 02:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Onan Energy Command 30 Auto Starts when connected to Shore Power

2008 Winnebago Itasca Horizon 40 KD
8,000-Watt Onan Quiet Diesel

This is my 1st Post on this forum.

Onan Energy Command 30 Auto Starts even when connected to Shore Power.

Onan Energy Command 30 Information
Safety is set to Ignition
HVAC Run Request tested fine with Basement A/C.
Tested for Shore AC power and it shows it is working.

When plugged into 50 Amps and the Onan Energy Command 30 is set to Auto Start it starts up the generator when the A/C Thermostat is turned on. Temperature inside is 97 Degrees, outside temp is 113 degrees.

When the Onan Energy Command 30 is set to Maunal, the A/C kicks on using Shore Power.

I checked all the breakers & they are on & seem tight.

I tried to search online & have read everything I could find remotely related. I tried to provide all the information that I thought you might need, but if I left something out, please let me know.

Any help is appreciated.
IRestore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 08:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't have my manual with me but there is a command for the generator to come on when it is set to auto for AC Demand. I'll wager it can be shut off. Sound like it is on.

Also, call Coleman and see if they can help.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 07:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your reply Wayne, it does have an HVAC Run Request but I don't see a way to turn it off. I did test it and it tested fine. I would think though that when it senses Shore Power that would overide the Generator kicking on? I tested it to ensure it is detecting Shore AC power and it shows it is working.

Thank you
Old 08-06-2023, 08:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Operations/Installation manual Page 5

The sensor could be bad or missing. Not supposed to start when plugged into pedestal power.
Old 08-06-2023, 10:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Wayne, I a guessing you are referring to the sensor in the Energy Command 30? It passed the test to confirm it was detecting shore power which is part of my confusion.
Old 08-07-2023, 07:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Guess it's time to call Coleman!
Old 08-07-2023, 12:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Wayne, you keep saying Coleman, but do you mean Cummings?
Old 08-09-2023, 05:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRestore View Post
2008 Winnebago Itasca Horizon 40 KD
8,000-Watt Onan Quiet Diesel

This is my 1st Post on this forum.

Onan Energy Command 30 Auto Starts even when connected to Shore Power.

Onan Energy Command 30 Information
Safety is set to Ignition
HVAC Run Request tested fine with Basement A/C.
Tested for Shore AC power and it shows it is working.

When plugged into 50 Amps and the Onan Energy Command 30 is set to Auto Start it starts up the generator when the A/C Thermostat is turned on. Temperature inside is 97 Degrees, outside temp is 113 degrees.

When the Onan Energy Command 30 is set to Maunal, the A/C kicks on using Shore Power.

I checked all the breakers & they are on & seem tight.

I tried to search online & have read everything I could find remotely related. I tried to provide all the information that I thought you might need, but if I left something out, please let me know.

Any help is appreciated.
This sounds familiar. I had the transformer in the coach service panel fail. This sends a 12 to 16 volt signal to the EC 30 to tell it shore power is available. The transformer can be AC or DC in the output. See page 22 of this manual: https://www.cummins.com/sites/defaul...-operation.pdf
I got my transformer from Amazon: Newhouse Hardware 16TR Doorbell Transformer
The transformer is mounted behind the service panel. With the shore power off and the breaker open on the generator for safety, remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the panel cover behind the door. Lift the front off. Remove the perimeter screws and pull the distribution box forward. Remove the transformer. Install the new one and out everything back together.
Close the generator breaker and restore shore power. When you turn on a A/C unit things should be as you expect. The Auto Start will not trigger. If it does call Cummins help line.
Blessings.
Rick
Old 08-09-2023, 08:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Wayne, you keep saying Coleman, but do you mean Cummings?

Energy Command 30 by Cummins. (For generator)
Coleman makes an EC-30 thermostat, (For Air Conditioner)
Sorry for the confusion, and at least I got the link right!
Old 08-09-2023, 10:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Ah, makes sense Wayne! Thank you.
Old 08-09-2023, 10:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Rick, great information. Thank you. If the transformer is bad, though, would the EC-30 indicate that Shore AC power is available when I test it though? The test performed as expected indicating it recognized it was connected to Shore Power.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Leave that switch set to manual until you find the solution. All ATS's have the generator as the priority for 120VAC power, #2 is shore power, so something is not recognizing shore power.
Have you tried switching off your main breaker before connecting to shore power, then switching it back on to see what happens? While on the subject, have you insured all electrical connections inside the main panel, and inside the ATS are clean and tight?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 06:27 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Rick, great information. Thank you. If the transformer is bad, though, would the EC-30 indicate that Shore AC power is available when I test it though? The test performed as expected indicating it recognized it was connected to Shore Power.
So, you have run the tests and found shore power present. That sends me into thinking about the EC 30 Auto settings.
In the "Setup Auto" menu find "SP sense". Try changing it to "Before and Auto".
This is a strange setting. There is not much information on it. Before infers the sensing power source is before the transfer switch. Does the transformer need to be wired that way? I have not found any good explanation. What does "Auto" do? Again, no clear explanation.
Checking for loose connections is a great suggestion. I can't tell you how many times I have found loose connections in the ATS and burnt wires.
I am keeping an eye on this thread. I want to know what your fix is. Great stuff to know.
Rick
Old 08-13-2023, 08:03 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Ray, I will try to turn off the main breaker before connceting to Shore Power. Is that something I am suppossed to do each time or is this something you are suggesting as part of the troubleshooting process? If so, what would that tell us if it works after I do that?
Old 08-13-2023, 03:03 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Follow up for Ray, I turned off the main coach breaker before connecting to Shore Power, then turned the main back on and tested it with the same results..... The generator kicked on when i turned on the thermostate & called for A/C.
Old 08-13-2023, 03:12 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

jerichorick, thank you for your reply. I searched the online manual for the words "Before" & "Sense" but do not see an option to change it to "Before and Auto". Here is the link to the manual that I searched these words in. https://www.cummins.com/sites/defaul...-operation.pdf Perhaps I am not understanding your suggestion?
Old 08-14-2023, 05:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
jerichorick, thank you for your reply. I searched the online manual for the words "Before" & "Sense" but do not see an option to change it to "Before and Auto". Here is the link to the manual that I searched these words in. https://www.cummins.com/sites/defaul...-operation.pdf Perhaps I am not understanding your suggestion?
Your link is broken but that is OK. Have you tried removing the EC 30, unplug the connector (real pain), wait a short bit and reinstalling it?
What version is your EC 30?
If you can figure out the connector pin count, pin #13 is ground and pin #14 is +12 or the 16vac signal. Your test says the SP signal is there but is it?
Last option is a bad EC 30.

Tags
onan, power, shore power