Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-02-2024, 07:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I found a part of my RV on the driveway! ....

2007 Aspect is currently at the mechanic getting a good once over, in advance of this year's travel season -- oil change, new ball joints, new engine belt, etc. I went out to my other car this morning to retrieve something from the trunk, and spotted this bit of metal (bracket?) on the RV pad, in the space where the front 1/4 of the RV sits (like engine or back of engine area, maybe a little further back). We've already sent these photos to the mechanic for him to look into, but does anyone know what this is? Eek! (For scale, it's about 4" long.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	188429   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	188430  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	539.7 KB
ID:	188431  
Old 03-02-2024, 07:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Googling the part number brings up an "adapter, crutch holder" for a Quickie Wheelchair but no pic.

If not that, I would guess it's a bracket that attaches to a body panel or cap but this doesn't seem real likely as it only has fasteners at one end and no evidence of epoxy anywhere..
Old 03-02-2024, 07:50 AM   #3
Ted & Lynne

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...07/7wf726a.pdf
i tried to look it up
Old 03-02-2024, 08:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Fyden View Post
Yeah, that part number doesn't appear in any of the Winnie catalogues or manuals I have. It could be a chassis part. 2006 Ford E450.

If this post belongs instead in the "Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires" section, perhaps an Admin can move it.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:08 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Rodimus View Post
If this post belongs instead in the "Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires" section, perhaps an Admin can move it.
As this part is still somewhat of a mystery, I believe it is just fine in this general maintenance and repair category.
Eagle5
Old 03-02-2024, 05:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I don't think that bracket came off your MH. If it did, about the only thing I can think of is a holding tank support/hold-down bracket.
This caused me to remember back when I was still in high school and working at my uncles service station part-time. The mechanic there would occasionally walk by and toss a bolt on the floor where I was working. I once spent 2 hours looking for where it went before he finally began laughing, then told me.
Have you a practical joker in the house, or neighbor?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 07:04 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Have you a practical joker in the house, or neighbor?
I was thinking the exact same thing!
Old 03-02-2024, 07:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

It might be a joker or it might just be somebody who found it in the street and tossed it as far off the street as you found it!
Looking at the parts and searching for that, I feel it is more likely a part off a wheelchair than an RV!
Maybe life is giving you advance notice of what to look for in the future?/
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
It might be a joker or it might just be somebody who found it in the street and tossed it as far off the street as you found it!
Looking at the parts and searching for that, I feel it is more likely a part off a wheelchair than an RV!
Maybe life is giving you advance notice of what to look for in the future?/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-03-2024, 08:54 PM   #10
Site Team

Hi Ray,
So, it looks like our mystery part comes from somewhere between the 7th and 9th picture, right?
Very good cartoon.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 03-04-2024, 01:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

If it's a joker -- they'd have to have come quite far onto our property, and well behind our other cars, and crawl under the RV, to do this. I very much doubt that's what happened. The only other option we can think of is it fell off a piece of equipment from the construction company that built the RV portion of the driveway for us -- but if that's the case, it would have been sitting there for 5 months. I suppose it's possible we somehow never noticed it all along, so we are checking with the contractor to see if they happen to recognize it.
Old 03-04-2024, 02:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

YUP! Weird things happen. I just found a football in our front flower bed!
Old 03-04-2024, 02:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

UPDATE: The driveway contractor doesn't recognize it, so not likely a piece of his equipment. Focusing on the idea that it's a holding tank support or tie down bracket....which tank might that be? I suppose it could be something near the back end of the RV and it fell off as we were pulling away. But it was pretty much dead-center of the vehicle left-to-right-wise, not off to either side. Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2024, 05:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I just noticed the Aspect is a class C and I wonder if it is a dog house clip? Since it only fastens at one end, it could be a clip that guides the doghouse into place before securing.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:02 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Using only two pop rivets to hold, it is not likely to be something that held much weight or pressure, so I still go with a place to hang a crutch or a cane!!

Since the part number does show an adapter for holding a crutch, it seems a stretch to assume it is not what the part number says???
If you chase the mystery of how and why it wound up under the RV, that may take some time!
Old 03-04-2024, 08:32 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I just noticed the Aspect is a class C and I wonder if it is a dog house clip? Since it only fastens at one end, it could be a clip that guides the doghouse into place before securing.
A dog house? I assume you don't mean an actual house for a dog, and this is some RV term I'm not familiar with. Please explain?
S.Rodimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:43 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
A dog house? I assume you don't mean an actual house for a dog, and this is some RV term I'm not familiar with. Please explain?
It’s a truck term for a cover over the engine inside the truck. It’s found on trucks with the engine set back from the front of the truck. Like the one on your RV - between the driver’s and passenger’s seats. That hump on the floor between the seats is called a dog house and it is removable to access the top of the engine.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:39 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Sorry, as explained above or also could be called the engine cover, or console.
Old 03-05-2024, 01:55 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

We shall look in there. Thank you!!
Old 03-05-2024, 10:49 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It’s a truck term for a cover over the engine inside the truck. It’s found on trucks with the engine set back from the front of the truck. Like the one on your RV - between the driver’s and passenger’s seats. That hump on the floor between the seats is called a dog house and it is removable to access the top of the engine.
Nope, originally a car dog house is actually the front clip. I'm thinking the term dog house comes from back in the day when a junk yard would have the front clip removed from a car before crushing the shell. The yards wouldn't part out a complete clip or doghouse since it was more valuable as a whole unit. And if there is a junkyard dog around and you look at the clip from behind, you can see a dog using it as a dog house.

Then again, most of you are not old enough to remember junk yard speak.