Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-10-2020, 10:25 PM   #1

Back In Rock Point * Part Vacation * Part Body Shop Work + Winnebago Roof Maintenance

In June-2020 I took the advice of a fellow Winnebago/Itasca owner and made a 1200 mile trip from Texas to Rocky Point, Puerto Penasco, Mexico to have have my cargo doors repaired and my rear cap repainted.

This turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made, and in the height of "Covid" there was no better place to be than The Reef RV Park at Rocky Point, because no one was staying in the park!

You can read all about that trip here:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ew-358003.html

So now I'm back at The Reef, in mid-September, and the weather is very nice, but there can be waves of heat and humidity, which is why most people wait until October to come.

I'm spoiled... no one is here again; and frankly I don't know if I would like it as much after this Covid thing goes away! And with all the RV parks in the USA being full, I am very surprised people are not flocking to Rocky Point? ...Of course, those who live in Tuscon and Phoenix know all about Rocky Point, but the mostly go to the condos and party near the harbor. The Reef RV Park is on the far north side of town... right on the beach! ...And it's quiet out here, but you have 2 very nice restaurants next to the RV park so you don't even need your tow car if you don't want to bring it!

When you are "on the beach" at $50/nt, or one-row-back, because no one is here, it really makes no difference, and at $26/night with full hook-ups, who can complain about that! ...The ocean is just 50 yards away!

SO WHY DID I COME BACK?

I returned to The Reef so Carlos & Pablo can perform the annual roof maintenance which Winnebago says you are supposed to do annually, but I do every 3 years depending on the condition of the sealant.

This time I plan to use GeoSeal "Pro Flex RV" clear and I hope it lasts longer.

And in my mind, there is no better place to get some R&R while you get your RV repaired "on the cheap." And when you consider that Carlos and Pablo only do first quality work, you know you will be satisfied when they are done!

...And if you are like me and want to do some other maintenance while these guys do the heavy work, then you know why I have to "tell a friend!"

To do the roof maintenance right it will take 2 people a full day. This includes removing the old sealant meticulously by hand, going back over it again to clean the channel out with mineral spirits, then lay done some blue tape for a "clean look," and then re-glue.

And for $300 (labor only) Carlos will also re-glue and add screws to the front cap (driver's side only) that tends to pull away.

You just need to bring the materials:

* 1 tube Quad Max Clear for under the front cap (driver side)

* 5 tubes Geocell "ProFlex RV" clear for the roof channel

* 1 quart mineral spirits

* 3/4" blue tape

* 2 plastic putty knives

* A few telescoping (cheap) razor blades

* A box of latex gloves

* And 1 Watermelon, because Carlos loves watermelon.

To reach Carlos you just need to send him a "What's App" text and include some pictures of what you need repaired. Carlos will then meet you at The Reef RV Park. And while he understands English pretty good, he will bring a translator with him to make sure you know exactly what work he intends to do and what price you will pay.

Carlos' prices are excellent, but The Reef charges him a 20% fee to work in the park. So it's customary to tip 20% if you are 100% satisfied with the work he does. ...And I'm sure you wlll be!

Carlos also took car of my tow car dents, and rock chips, and on my RV he painted my Oasis Awning over my front door for an extra $50, which is excellent! ...Convenient! ...And the best quality paint work you will find anywhere.

Entering Mexico is no problem so don't worry about that if you are a first timer. Just bring your respect and you will be treated very kindly. And as for the following the roads, you just need to print out a google map route before you come, because your GPS will not work in Mexico if your GPS is like mine?

The Reef RV Park is easy to find. (See picture.) Just turn at the Auto Zone and you will be heading in the right direction. Then just follow the signs to Sandy Beach Resorts or just head for the north-end of town.

Note: If you pass the Auto Zone just one more block you will see a Sam's Club and there you can get golf cart (GC2-Batteries) for $70 each; and of course all the other things Sam's Club carries. (Good prices on Tequila too!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 The Reef RV Business Cards.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	174946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocky Point Picture.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	174947  

Name:	Rocky Point Map.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	174948   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200909_143502.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	174949  

Name:	20200909_145750.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	174950   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200910_130832.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	174951  

Name:	20200702_124413.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	174952  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #2

Additional Roof Sealant Comments

Turns out we only used 1 full tube of Quad-Max-Clear under the front cap (driver's side) and 2 tubes of Geocell "ProFlex RV" Clear on the roof seams. However, you should probably have a 3rd tube of ProFlex just in case.

Notes:

* The Quad is a higher bond strength polyurethane sealant that has good elastomeric properties, but like all polyurethane sealants it will not hold up in the sun for more than 1-2 years; so on the outer front cap edges we used the ProFlex sealant thinking it will hold up in the sun better. TBD

I'm also tired of doing this roof maintenance like I'm tired of replacing my house batteries, so I'm going to try something new:

Apparently you can paint the ProFlex sealant, and I think I will do that to see if that helps prevents deterioration under the sun?

...However, like PVC you don't want to put a oil based paint directly on the ProFlex glue, because there will be a chemical reaction occurring over time and that will breakdown the glue.

... So I plan to use a a Krylon water-based spray paint and then paint my coach colors over it.

I guess it depends on how much effort your want to put into the job? ...But here in Puerto Penasco we have a very qualified painter who will only charge another $50 for this option; and by covering the glue with a latex paint and then again with my oil based colors, I hope I don't have to perform another roof radius seam repair for 5+ years, maybe 10! TBD!!!
Old 09-13-2020, 01:36 PM   #3

Directions To The Reef At Rocky Point In Puerto Penasco, Mexico

The first time you do anything takes longer and is sometimes more challenging. To help you find The Reef At Rocky Point In Puerto Penasco you just have to keep this pictures with you when you come to town.

Note: If you bring your tow car, and I recommend you do, you only need Mexican Liability Insurance for 1 vehicle and they will most likely be your RV. You do not need to buy a second policy for your tow car, because your liability insurance covers what ever vehicle you are driving at the time. Just keep your policy paper work in your wallet.

This map will help you find The Reef RV Park. It's easy! ...When you enter Puerto Penasco, just turn right at the Auto Zone and head for the far right side of the tallest condo building you see along the Sea of Cortez.

It's about 1:45 from the boarder crossing to Puerto Penascao. And you can buy your Mexixan Insurance in Why, AZ. You also can leave your tow car at the Why Not Travel Store for $75/week if you don't want to take it with you. And if you carry firearms and ammo then just leave them in the tow car, because you do not want to cross the border with these!

I will post Carlos' phone number so you can send him a What's App request. Then you can communicate with him directly before you come: +52-1-638-105-6894
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Map To The Reef At Rocky Point.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	174986  

Tags
maintenance, winnebago, roof, cat