Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Does your Micro 21xx drain line hit the driveway?

Looking at a 2106DS. I notice the gray/black drain outlet is fairly low and near the back of the unit. I'm concerned about it hitting ground when backing the trailer into the driveway.

Have you had any issues with it? Do you have to put 2x4s at the foot of your driveway to boost the trailer to keep things from hitting when going into / out of your driveway?

I currently have a Drop 1710 and the rear stabilizer jack pad will kiss the edge of the driveway if I'm not careful with my angle. I'm concerned the 2016DS will be worse with the longer rear overhang.
k.darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2106 and have kissed the pavement with the tank drain once in 2 1/2 years. It was on an unusually deep dip at the entry to an uphill driveway. I could see the problem coming when I saw the angle of the driveway and the depth of the dip so I was extremely careful and caused no damage as I could see the drain from my mirror. I live in Florida so this situation is unusual. If you lived in the mountains, it might be more of a problem.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I'm not in mountains but my town is hilly, and being in a non-snow area, they don't think twice about making steep hills.

My concern is the dip going from the crown in the street to my ever so slightly uphill driveway. Again, I've touched the rear stabilizer jacks on the Drop and I fear the 2106 will be worse.

I just need to go back to the dealer with a tape measure and figure it out.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I am looking at a 2108 and I noticed the drain seemed low as well. Of course the salesman assured me it would not be a problem but I don't have much faith in that statement since after 2 days of research I knew the Winnebago product line better than he did. We did rent a Forest River last summer and the drain dragged the ground on a couple of occasions. If it turns out to be a problem I wonder about making it detachable for travel? With the low height of the mini I don't see how they could have made the drain any higher. Subscribing to this thread to learn more.
Have you tried the Murphy bed in the DS? I am concerned about it's narrow 54" width and I want to look at the FBS, also I heard the queen mattress is more comfortable than the Murphy.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Probably the best option if you are concerned about the drain is to life the trailer. The MMs come with axel brackets that contain 3 mounting holes so that the height of the trailer can be raised. Of course, this creates some issues with the entry step height and makes the trailer more susceptible to crosswinds. Pick your poison, I guess.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I am looking at a 2108 and I noticed the drain seemed low as well. Of course the salesman assured me it would not be a problem but I don't have much faith in that statement since after 2 days of research I knew the Winnebago product line better than he did. We did rent a Forest River last summer and the drain dragged the ground on a couple of occasions. If it turns out to be a problem I wonder about making it detachable for travel? With the low height of the mini I don't see how they could have made the drain any higher. Subscribing to this thread to learn more.
Have you tried the Murphy bed in the DS? I am concerned about it's narrow 54" width and I want to look at the FBS, also I heard the queen mattress is more comfortable than the Murphy.
The full size works just fine for us. We really wanted the dinette so it was a no brainer but again that's just us. We have a California king at home so even the queen would have seemed small by comparison and the six inches between queen and full really isn't much when you get right down to it.
Bhfromme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1as View Post
Looking at a 2106DS. I notice the gray/black drain outlet is fairly low and near the back of the unit. I'm concerned about it hitting ground when backing the trailer into the driveway.
My driveway isn't a problem it's speed-bumps I seem to have trouble with. I've knocked the cap off of the sewer drain twice. Thank god it has a tether.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhfromme View Post
The full size works just fine for us. We really wanted the dinette so it was a no brainer but again that's just us. We have a California king at home so even the queen would have seemed small by comparison and the six inches between queen and full really isn't much when you get right down to it.
We have a California King as well at home. I am 6'3" and the wife is 5'11" and we are not exactly the tall, thin couple we were in our youth, we are a bit rounder now. I think the Queen bed will work better for us.

I actually went online last night to see who had a 2106 FBS in stock since my dealer said they didn't and lo and behold I found that they did have one. I called them with the stock# this AM and a couple hours later they called me back and said they found it! Why do I even need a salesperson??
Old 04-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

We have a flat drive but we haven't had problems backing into campsites with uphill entries. One thing that has caused us problems is being on a site where the sewer hook up is uphill from the holding tank outlet on the trailer. Due to that I call any campground where we are making reservations ahead of time to be sure they assign a site with the sewer lower than the outlet.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We just ordered a 2108DS. Due to the low position of the sewer drain, we opted for the off-road option which includes 15” wheels instead of the standard 14” wheels. I’m hopping this extra height will reduce the chances for the drain to drag. Also, there are more options for 15” tires than there are for 14” tires which will make it easier to find new tires when the time comes.
ArkTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTraveler View Post
We just ordered a 2108DS. Due to the low position of the sewer drain, we opted for the off-road option which includes 15” wheels instead of the standard 14” wheels. I’m hopping this extra height will reduce the chances for the drain to drag. Also, there are more options for 15” tires than there are for 14” tires which will make it easier to find new tires when the time comes.
Do the 15's fit right on there with no mods to the fenders etc? What size tire are you getting on the 15" rim? I am wondering how much it will affect the total height of the rig as I need to stay under 10 feet to clear my garage door opening.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I'm not sure of the exact fire size. However, as blueridge-fl stated earlier, the axel height is adjustable and our "original" salesman, believes that the off-road option moves the coach up one notch in addition to going to 15" tires. This probably adds about 2" to the stock height which is 9'-8".

Looking at Winnebago's site they have this language in the spec section; "The height of each model is measured to the top of the tallest standard feature and is based on the curb weight of a typically equipped unit. The actual height of your vehicle may vary by several inches depending on chassis or equipment variations. Please contact your dealer for further information."

Based on that language, a conversation with a dealer may help to really answer your question so you don't wind up with a 10'+ trailer.
ArkTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Thanks ArkTraveler, somehow I missed blueridge's post
Old 05-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Hitting buttom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
My driveway isn't a problem it's speed-bumps I seem to have trouble with. I've knocked the cap off of the sewer drain twice. Thank god it has a tether.
I just picked up my micro 2106 fbs I too was concerned about dragging so I ordered the high lift with the 15 inch tires. Gives me extra clearance.
dmoritz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I just picked.up.my micro 2106fbs. I ordered the high lift and 15 inch.off road tires
Raised my camper up.for.better clearance
I also.drove from CO to the Dave Arbogast RV dealer where the price was too good to pass up.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Yes indeed I did just that.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoritz2 View Post
I just picked.up.my micro 2106fbs. I ordered the high lift and 15 inch.off road tires
Raised my camper up.for.better clearance
I also.drove from CO to the Dave Arbogast RV dealer where the price was too good to pass up.
Thanks for the info.....I need to contact Winnebago to see if that lift will still keep it under 10 feet.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:28 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoritz2 View Post
I just picked up my micro 2106 fbs I too was concerned about dragging so I ordered the high lift with the 15 inch tires. Gives me extra clearance.
And extra wind resistance.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #19

No but I installed drag wheels anyway.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:50 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

OK, I have my 2106DS home now. No lift, 14" tires. The rear stab jacks and drain pipe look low, BUT, I am able to get into and out of my driveway with no issues. There is actually a tad more clearance than my Winnie Drop had.

My 2106 is new enough that lifting is just a matter of pulling bolts and remounting the axle in lower holes, plus reinforcing the space created at the top. I may still do that but for now I'm gonna live like a Low Rida!