Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2006, 02:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

What are your thoughts on running the AC while at home sitting in the driveway. I have mine set on 85, 95 to 99 outside.
I just don't like the tremendous heat build up in the coach. I know that it gets it on the dealers lot, yet all that heat can't do it any good.
Wife thinks I am wearing out the A/C. Keep the refrigerator off as per Norcold but even run that in the driveway if we will be on the coach.
Thanks for your opinions.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

What are your thoughts on running the AC while at home sitting in the driveway. I have mine set on 85, 95 to 99 outside.
I just don't like the tremendous heat build up in the coach. I know that it gets it on the dealers lot, yet all that heat can't do it any good.
Wife thinks I am wearing out the A/C. Keep the refrigerator off as per Norcold but even run that in the driveway if we will be on the coach.
Thanks for your opinions.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:09 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

It's hot as all get out down here in Myrtle Beach and the inside of the RV is like an oven exceeding 100 degrees from about noon till about 7:00pm.

I'm running my A/C on the motorhome while sitting on its launch pad. I have a good 50A circuit feeding the coach and its backed up w/ a 50A surge suppressor.

I have the thermostat set on 85 degrees. It's too warm to live in but its a lot cooler than it could be and the inside of the rig is dry. The fridge is off however the 12 volt system is on.

I am concerned about my electric bill but since I had the unit recharged yesterday, it should only run for about 30 minutes or less at a clip before it pulls the interior temp down to 85.

When we camp at Ocean Lakes, I have always observed that Mr. Jackson's RV, the owner, is parked in the campground and the A/C is running 24/7. He runs a 45 foot Prevost conversion RDP.

I think that having your A/C up and running has to be better than having the MH sitting there in the heat and humidity stewing away under the hot summer sun.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:29 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Originally posted by DriVer:

I'm running my A/C on the motorhome while sitting on its launch pad. I have a good 50A circuit feeding the coach and its backed up w/ a 50A surge suppressor.

I agree!!! Me too!!

When we camp at Ocean Lakes, I have always observed that Mr. Jackson's RV, the owner, is parked in the campground and the A/C is running 24/7. He runs a 45 foot Prevost conversion RDP.

I hope HE doesn't drive it anymore!!

I think that having your A/C up and running has to be better than having the MH sitting there in the heat and humidity stewing away under the hot summer sun.

Agree!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:34 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I usually open the roof vents and a bedroom window for fresh air circulation. It's still hot though.RV is mostly in the shade out back.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Mine is parked on a pad with 50amp service and also have AC set at 85.

Jim, tell me about Norcold. I leave the fridge on with a few cold drinks inside for when I am up there piddlin' around with the rig. Do they recommend you not do that?

I wondered about that Prevost I have seen at Ocean Lakes....it was in the same spot two years in a row when we were there.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:39 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Our rig is parked mostly in the shade out back so I just open the roof vents and a bedroom window for fresh air circulation.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
Old 07-04-2006, 02:40 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Gary, I can't imagine it'd hurt anything.....do we tell the fulltimers not to use their fridge?

Old 07-04-2006, 02:40 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
I wondered about that Prevost I have seen at Ocean Lakes....it was in the same spot two years in a row when we were there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>He's got a new one now. Same parking space on cement in the HH sites.

Regarding full time Ocean Side camping. My tech, Brian, told me that he recently replaced a basement unit in an Alfa because the aluminum was all corroded from being in continuous proximity to salt air.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:40 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Oh my, lost in outter web space. sorry for the double post.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

DriVer..Spring and Fall is the time to be at the beach altho the scenery is not as green.
Gary, Norcold, I think, (getting senile) recommends turning the fridge off if it is just sitting. Altho I am sure that it can do no harm to run 24/7. What do the fulltimers do??
EL BOB , wish I was going on Thursday,,like you really need that. Drive safe bringing that bad boy home.) Always glad to have your input.
Thanks all,
Old 07-04-2006, 02:44 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

actually my signature picture is at Ocean Lakes front row.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:52 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

EDIT

HERE is pdf manual for my 1200 series unit...
NO mention of anything relating to turning it off there...

I even learned that,for long term storage the doors should be closed and latched....The answer to yet "another" myth maybe?
Old 07-04-2006, 06:45 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

ichn2go: Wife and I had this conversation yesterday. Our coach is parked and plugged in the backyard, AC set to go on at 95. I think it is a good plan.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:50 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Ours is on 24/7. Set the thermostat to 90. Keeps it cooler than it would otherwise and keeps the inside dried out. It is on gravel under a cover so the AC doesn't really run that much. Figure maybe $15 per month when its hot to keep it cool, also keeps batteries charged. Leave the rfrigerator on all the time too. Keeps my beer cold.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hi Ichin,
Long time since I had chance to post you! We could do it more often if you still had the "old" coach.
My "old" coach is in a semi-enclosed shelter, I run the A/C at 85 degrees because Savannah is always hot and humid, It helps keep the humidity down to under 60%. I also have a de-humidifier running in the Winter months because of the high humidity.
I have to protect my "old" coach, it is my last one!
I never got around to expanding the dining area table, Mommy decided she liked it better as a bed! Sorry you had to get up in the middle of the night to measure yours....
Hope you are doing well.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:44 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Don, its always a pleasure to hear from you. Your coach will never be "old".
Sometimes I miss my old coach. With your help I learned about RVing and making the mods necessary to improve many things on it.
We are doing as well as can be expected for "old" folks. I have been keeping up with you from the posts you do make...Take care
Old 07-04-2006, 02:18 PM   #18
Administrator Emeritus

Don, GOOD to hear from you....We recently spent a couple of days in Savannah on the way to Disney. Took the trolley tour of the old City and had lunch down on the water,missed reservations for Paula's that day by about one group in line...Maybe next time!

Great to see your posts, come back when you can....