Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-06-2022, 01:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dealer pressure test for sealant leaks

So I need some advice from the many people here that are way more familiar to this than me. I stopped by my dealer today to schedule my winterization and also have my slide checked for an unusual noise. They suggested I get the pressurized sealant check done on an annual basis. I did have one done last year on my 1 year anniversary of owning our 2021 22M. They did find a few things that leaked air when they pressurized the unit. Nothing big. So my question is, does this really need to be done yearly, or is this just more of a dealer suggested procedure to bring in more income? On another note, I think I will get the LPG check done to make sure I don’t have a leak on that system.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 04:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Ron,
We would (as a company; not me personally) do sealant checks on the airplanes, but doing it on a Class C motorhome? I guess you could seal-off the HVAC system on the Ford Cab by covering the inlet grill, but oh wow. You would also need to seal-off the vent hood over the range. The area around the water pump would also need to be sealed from the outside too. Did you watch them do the test? How much did they charge, and what did they find?
I just check my roof's self-leveling sealant every time I go up there, and if it is damaged (typically from a tree limb brushing-by,) I clean the area with rubbing alcohol, let it dry, and then apply Winnebago's 131264-03-01A.
Your Propane has a perfume that is added to the fuel, so a leak is very obvious.
I just winterize my 22M myself.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 10-06-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
Site Team

... additional ...
This stuff is good to both protect the slide seals, and to lubricate them as well:
Old 10-06-2022, 05:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Evening Eagle. Thanks for the great response. I’m sure it’s a money maker for the dealer. Last year they did it and found what I consider obvious stuff. Like the entry door. That thing doesn’t seal very well anyway. I think I’ll do what you do and check it on my own. It’s $199 plus whatever they find that needs attention. I do lube the 4 slide tracks and also treat the slide seals. This is why I like this forum so much. There’s an incredible amount of wisdom, information, and first hand experience that I can learn from. Thanks again Eagle. We have 1 outing for a few days next week, then that’s it for this season.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Is this a Honda dealer?
They "give" two free oil changes on our new car but when we took it in the bill came to $298-----until we had the discussion! We had 6,000 miles and they insisted the cabin air filter and engine air filter were "critical" items that had to be changed---until I showed the service manager there was still dust on the clips!
Just free enterprise looking for that little extra profit!

I cannot even imagine trying to pressurize any of the RV we have had! Most of the window have felt seals to cut down the air flow!
The LP leak is even more supsect as it has an indicator or two already. One is the smell which is very noticable and you also have a propane leak detector built in near the floor somewhere. Much like a smoke detector and you WILL notice it if it sounds an alarm!

Then the really big thing on propane is that if there is a leak, the little tank on an RV will be empty pretty fast. I've never had a propane leak on an RV, so never worry it!
If a bigger conecern for you, there is almostalways a gauge on the tank itself, so for personal piece of mind, check and record that gauge reading when storing the RV and then check once in a while or before a trip that the reading is generally the same spot. It may move a bit due to temperature changes as cold gas may read a little less. Not a high tech gauge but if it just keeps moving down, then consider a leak, but I would not expect one.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Richard. I really appreciate your insight. I’m still kind of a newbie in the RV world getting our first one in 2017. I’m always leery of the car dealer offering a “Free Courtesy Safety Check”! I’m thinking the service “advisor” at the RV dealer may be working on some sort of commission.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Leaks are definitely one of the best things to keep an eye on as they can be so sneaky!
But most do it with a personal look at things. There are times when we get caught in a place where we know we drove through some tree limbs and that is a good time to take a look at the roof if we can.
Any missing vents caps, are the fan covers cracked or missing, did anything really big gouge a hole in the top someplace? Those arethings to eyeball, but then once or twice a year, it is good to just have a set of eyes on the seams where body panels fit together and anything like vents or lights that penetrate the shell.

But it doesn't need to be a high tech thing, just a questioning eye to look it over. Most body panels are made like a sandwich with a panel put onm then a seal strip before the second laid on and that seal can often be seen sticking out.
Kind of like the cheese on a cheese sandwich?
If it looks like the "cheese" is still good and not weaterhed to the point of crumbling, it's probably good, but when it gets pits and begins to break small pieces when you rub a finger over it, it may be time to reseal the edge.

Lights are a special problem as they don'talways show sealer on the outside where we can examine it but the seal may be back underneath the body and hard to judge it. Sometimes the best move there is to run a thin bead of somesealer around the outside of the base, alllexcept a small spot at the bottom tolet and water that gets in, also get out!
If you spot water in the cover of a light, do something right away as that is a sure leak coming. If watergets in but can't run down and out, it will fill enough to find where the wire comes through to side and follow that wire back to the first wood, etc and start mold or rot if given time.

Worst case is if it is ignored long enough, it also wets the foam and the inner wood so that it can need a major rebuilding project!

Just looking carefully and asking if it looks like it could leak.
Best of luck and enjoy the tripping!!
Old 10-06-2022, 09:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

That "pressure test" is a very good invention, but not annually IMO.
It's name is SealTech, and when used by a trained technician does locate every potential water leak on the RV.
In 2005 we bought a new 40' 5er, stayed the night in the dealers FHU small CG. That night it rained, next morning I discovered water dripping from a back window frame.
When I told the salesman, he asked us to stay another day. Next day 2 technicians began working with the SealTech attaching the machines intake to a roof vent.
BTW, the mfgr. sales brochure touted their "rain booth" that detected leaks.

The machine pressurizes the RV to approx. 2-3 psi while the other technician was outside on the roof spraying a soap solution with a garden sprayer, then climbed down and sprayed the sides/ends.
After an hour they discovered 3 as yet undetected water leak points in addition to the obvious leak, which BTW was 20' from where water was dripping inside. The leak point was over the entry door, yet water was not seen until it began dripping from the rear window frame.

IMO it was well worth the time and effort; even though the dealer didn't charge me for the procedure, he did say the normal cost was $300.

I recommend anyone with a water leak in their RV spend the money to have the test performed. I would not recommend an annual test, that IMO is overkill and a waste of money.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 03:03 PM   #9
Site Team

I call bullocks. It might as well be a $200 charge for putting nitrogen in your tires.

I've heard of pressure tests when there is an unsolvable leak - but that's just as a last resort when nothing else works. Good luck presurizing a Class C with a big cab with big doors, etc.

After you buy this concept they'll try to sell you $300 tire dressing and upholstery sealant.

As we frequently say around here - if the dealer is talking he's making up a story to get you to buy something you don't need.

You may disagree and feel that this is a good value for a good service and far be it from me to be skeptical. But.........
Old 10-08-2022, 08:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Warranty issues aside, all the more reason to avoid dealers for service. Once you're out of warranty, find yourself a good, independent RV shop for your house issues and a good, independent truck repair shop for your chassis issues.

Pressure testing is a good tool for finding mysterious leaks (if you have one) if all else fails but not as a routine service item. What is important as a routine service, especially when under warranty is periodic inspection (every six months?) of your roof cove edges. This should be specified somewhere in your paperwork.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 09:36 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Warranty issues aside, all the more reason to avoid dealers for service. Once you're out of warranty, find yourself a good, independent RV shop for your house issues and a good, independent truck repair shop for your chassis issues.
^THIS!

Every new Winnebago (any brand, actually) should be given a plaque with these words that is prominently displayed inside the RV
Old 10-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I know that you're not anywhere close to my area but these are the kind of shops you should look for:

https://www.mikeandsonstruckrepair.com/

Mobile RV Service and Parts - Galt California
Old 10-08-2022, 03:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Part of my thinking on the pressure test is just the way I see water run.
Many things are designed with the idea that water will mostly try to run downhill. So that makes it easy to just add a layer to overlap another on the bottom and the water doesn't run up and in.
Looking at your house, most things are done that way.
The whole idea of shingles and roofing are based on the idea that water runs downhill.

But if we add air pressure of any sort, the air may quite often go into a space or hole on the inner envelope, go ten feet in some direction and find a hole to go down a few inches and finally come out in some other spot. The air can quite easily go in any direction to find a path out, while water will run only a short distance if it is required to go sideways and then up to find a way in!

I think there would be a good chance they would find a lot of leaks but not the type which might let water in!
After a few years, most RV doors and windows are the type we could throw a cat out without opening the door!
Old 10-08-2022, 04:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Morich has a good point. I've been in a lot of attics and garages in which you can see bits of daylight all over the roof but they're completely dry with no leaks.
Old 10-08-2022, 04:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Guys, if you haven't experienced the SealTech leak detector results, you don't have a clue, your're just spitting into the wind.
Our new 5er never had another water intrusion after that test and sealing the found leaks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-08-2022, 05:30 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Guys, if you haven't experienced the SealTech leak detector results, you don't have a clue, your're just spitting into the wind.
Our new 5er never had another water intrusion after that test and sealing the found leaks.
Good point, but I do have a couple of questions. Were you aware of leaks before having the test done? Would you recommend this as an annual test at $300 even if no leaks are apparent?
Old 10-08-2022, 08:16 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Spitting in the wind is good when those following deserve it!

A lot of us have had lots of Rv and never had a leak test nor a leak so what does any of that prove? Just spitting in the wind, I'm happy with that !

Lots of folks get sold a lot of BS and it turns out they get should have asked a lot more questions.
Old 10-08-2022, 11:37 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Good point, but I do have a couple of questions. Were you aware of leaks before having the test done? Would you recommend this as an annual test at $300 even if no leaks are apparent?
Yes that one leak I mentioned was quite obvious before the SealTech test. NO, I would not recommend it for an annual maintenance test.
I only used it once when I had a known leak. When the tech found the other 3-as yet unseen leaks I was happy.
The initial leak I knew of___ the source of the leak was approx. 20' from where I found water inside the trailer.
Never had another water leak in that trailer.
Old 10-09-2022, 01:58 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Spitting in the wind is good when those following deserve it!

A lot of us have had lots of Rv and never had a leak test nor a leak so what does any of that prove? Just spitting in the wind, I'm happy with that !

Lots of folks get sold a lot of BS and it turns out they get should have asked a lot more questions.
This is why I asked the question on this great source of information. So many great opinions. I’m going to bypass the leak test. On a side note, the dealer also offered to check the propane equipment for correct flame operation. Wouldn’t that be better checked in the spring in case spiders got inside. It seems they just toss things out there to bring in more service income.
Old 10-09-2022, 02:01 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxel7851 View Post
It seems they just toss things out there to bring in more service income.
Bingo!!

It's like the "Free Brake Checks" that auto shops run. They may not find any brake problems but they ALWAYS can find or make up some kind of problem to charge you for.

Tags
dealer, leak, leaks, seal