Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

The nice chap that does the Driver's Confidence Course at Lazydays cautioned us to test our emergency windows to make sure they worked. In the deep recesses of my mind I seem to recall that this was a bad idea since it would jeopardize the waterseal and there was not much (anything) that would impede the exit anyway...esp if one was motivated .

Any thoughts on this? Steve
Old 10-01-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The nice chap that does the Driver's Confidence Course at Lazydays cautioned us to test our emergency windows to make sure they worked. In the deep recesses of my mind I seem to recall that this was a bad idea since it would jeopardize the waterseal and there was not much (anything) that would impede the exit anyway...esp if one was motivated .

Any thoughts on this? Steve
Old 10-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">not much (anything) that would impede the exit anyway...esp if one was motivated </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My thoughts exactly!! I've been tempted to break the seal on the emergency exit window, but have resisted.

Most recommendations I have heard along that line focus on how you are going to get over the window ledge and all the way down to the ground -- concern with how you will physically do it rather than whether or not the window will open.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I also remember reading that very same thing some time back, so have chose not to open mine. I feel we could get out one way or another if need be. I just don't believe its that important.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I check our bedroom emergency window regularly which is a swing out and have never had a problem. I am extremely safety concious and I also have fire extinguishers in the bedroom, kitchen and the front living area. If this coach catches fire I want my wife and I to know we can get out in a hurry in an emergency and not have to try and use it and find out it is stuck closed. In an emergency, seconds count. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Just my take on this subject
Bob O
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Some of the stationary emergency windows are a one shot deal. On my old coach you pulled a tab to break the seal, pushed the window out and it fell to the ground. You had to get a new gasket and window afterwards.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob O:
I check our bedroom emergency window regularly which is a swing out and have never had a problem. I am extremely safety concious and I also have fire extinguishers in the bedroom, kitchen and the front living area. If this coach catches fire I want my wife and I to know we can get out in a hurry in an emergency and not have to try and use it and find out it is stuck closed. In an emergency, seconds count. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Just my take on this subject
Bob O </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Bob O, I have posted this question for some time now, but I am afraid to replace my window cause of the cost. Been there, done that, already, but thats another topic. See, my coach is the sister coach of Neil V. I'd rather fall to the ground and break an ankle than BURN to death. So I guess I'll spring for the new window and gasket.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bobpie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob O:
Thanks Bob O, I have posted this question for some time now, but I am afraid to replace my window cause of the cost. Been there, done that, already, but thats another topic. See, my coach is the sister coach of Neil V. I'd rather fall to the ground and break an ankle than BURN to death. So I guess I'll spring for the new window and gasket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob,

If if falls to the ground and self destructs whenever you test it then the test is kinda moot. We have the swing out model on our current coach which we accidently test on occasion when we close the shade in the bedroom and catch the two handles however on my old coach if you tried to test the escape window you destroyed the gasket and window itself. You would end up replacing the window after every test.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We use the emergency window in the bedroom for installing and removing the washer/dryer. It is a three person operation with one person inside, and two outside with one on the outside just holding the window open.

I installed additional weather stripping (1/2" foam) around the window frame because them darn lady bug beatles entered the coach through the window frame.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:47 AM   #10
paz
Winnebago Camper

We attended a fire safety seminar put on by Mac McCoy (Mac the Fire Guy) at a Life on Wheels seminar. He strongly recommended testing the escape window. Fire can spread very rapidly in an RV, and you may not have time to play around with a stuck gasket or figure out how the latches work.

Mac did mention that some windows are designed to release from the top hinge and drop to the ground when opened past a certain point (about 45 degrees). Therefore, if you don't know whether or not your window will be released from the hinge, don't open it more than a crack. Give your motorhome manufacturer a call. They should be able to tell you whether or not your window will release or if the gasket will be damaged if you open the window.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bobpie:
Thanks Bob O, I have posted this question for some time now, but I am afraid to replace my window cause of the cost. Been there, done that, already, but thats another topic. See, my coach is the sister coach of Neil V. I'd rather fall to the ground and break an ankle than BURN to death. So I guess I'll spring for the new window and gasket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob,

If if falls to the ground and self destructs whenever you test it then the test is kinda moot. We have the swing out model on our current coach which we accidently test on occasion when we close the shade in the bedroom and catch the two handles however on my old coach if you tried to test the escape window you destroyed the gasket and window itself. You would end up replacing the window after every test. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am talking about the window that just has a red pull tab connected to a piece of wire or nylon strapping that cuts through and destroys the pressed in window seal all the way around the windows so that it is incapable of holding the window in the sidewall any longer. If you pull the zipper then you are committed and there is no 45 degree angle to push it out to before it comes off, it just falls out. There is no look and see on these unless you are about to replace the window and gasket anyway.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I don't know any thing about a PULL tab, I have the 2 red handles that you lift up to unlock the window and then push it out.It apears to have a hinge at the top of the window so I would say that the window just pivits out and stays intact. Thanks for the clearification.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have the 2 red handles that you lift up to unlock the window and then push it out.It apears to have a hinge at the top of the window so I would say that the window just pivits out and stays intact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is the same setup mine have. I have opened and closed them on several occasions with no ill effects to the window or seal.

I would probably be hard pressed to check them if I had to replace them afterwards.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote