Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

My CW experience

Last January we purchased a toilet at the Phoenix CW. We didn't need it and went to return it. No problem. But, we went on back to their service department for help. The people in the service department didn't even get up from their chairs. When I answered that it was a Winnebago DP, they told me to go to La Mesa RV.

Recently I got a notice about an RV for sale from RVT.com. Well, it was obvious that the listing was wrong, that it was not the model listed in the ad. It was from CW in St. Augustine.
I sent them a message just to let them know.
I got email, phone calls, and text messages. All indicated that they had never even read my message. When I explained the situation over the phone, the saleswoman said not a problem, happens ALL the time.

Two weeks later I got another notice for the same RV. They still had not corrected the ad.
calendarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:50 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I've used a few local RV repair shops this past few months. Not really happy with any of them. One thing they both said to me: "We have a severe shortage of trained RV technicians." Both outfits had LONG waiting lists to get in the shop. One shop held my RV a week to what was 3 hours of labor.

Not to be rude, but the "look" of the guys they are calling technicians is, well, not inspiring. So, I believe their story on that front.

I try to do everything myself within my capabilities. Some work is simply too heavy for my old age, like mounting the sway bars, or installing shocks. I had to farm that out.

I have three new vent-fans on the way from Amazon right now. I will attempt to do them myself. If I can't, there's a "mobile RV dude" we've used a few times for small repairs and I will try him.

Last week, I spent $295 for an alignment on the E450. I consider that a LOT to pay. Yesterday, I was under the chassis and carefully inspected the entire front end. I am convinced he did not adjust anything, but discovered the alignment was ok and just charged me anyway.

I'm convinced because ever single metal surface under the chassis has a mild coat of rust. Every nut, bolt, exposed thread, cotter pin, washer, rod, etc has uniform brown rust. I know dang well you can not back off a nut on a rusted bolt without disturbing the rust on the bolt! You can't remove a rusted cotter pin from a castle nut, and then put it right back without something showing that it was removed. So, the entire front end looked exactly like no wrench had ever touched, loosened, adjusted or removed anything.

I would go back and confront him, but with so few shops available to work on RVs, I feel I just have to suck up the loss.
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:12 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I finally got my water heater today! Six weeks late (2nd day delivery upgraded to overnight, a WEEK ago). And, wait for it....

CW shipped the wrong unit.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:24 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

East, West, No Matter it seems with Camping World

I only know it's not a good place to go. I had a problem with my fridge. Brought it to them and they gave me a reallyy high estimate on replacing the cooling unit. I said no. I think they were going to get an OK and then trouble shoot it.That was after waiting weeks for an appointment.
I would suggest pay them what you do owe them, find a new guy, maybe a local mobile guy you find on yelp.While your on there check out CW. I don't know about Jersey but in ST George all the reviews are 5 Stars (Family & friends) or one star (customers).

I have no clue why Winnebago recommends them.
Good luck..
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Marge View Post
I am having a real BIG problem with Camping World Bridgeport NJ service department. Any body else having this? I am doing my best to work it out on my own, but it does not look good. I will keep you up to date soon.
Out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:10 AM   #25
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
I'm glad you had a good experience with them. Not everyone can say the same.
Another avenue is registering complaints with BBB and if more serious issue such as a dangerous repair or unethical issues bring in the attorney general. Of course you give the owner of the business an opportunity to properly address the issue. If no results, move it forward. If enough complaints...reputation will reduce their business. It’s a shame that we are dealing with businesses who loose sight of their bread and butter...their customers and the revenue importance. The owners become disconnected...through various reasons.... great companies get the significance of customer satisfaction....repeat business...longevity......happy customers......cycle that works.....
Lette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:10 PM   #26
Old Journey

Finally have time to post!! Done. I had a little fire in my MH hydraulic pump area . Took it to Camping World for repair. Had an appointment 2 weeks in advance. Got there and the shop manager came out and inspected my coach. Looked over my roof and all body seams. Told me they all needed to be redone. Even some seams that Winnebago does not recommend doing. After about an hr. Not even looking at my pump I was told they could not look at my MH today. Made another appointment for later the next week. Came back with car in tow. Got there and was told they would get to it today. After going to lunch and calling them on phone, we were told they would not get to it today. Drove home (left MH there). After a day or two we got an estimate of $12K for repair. Sent it to insurance co. My insurance adjuster stopped by to look at damage. MH was parked so close to other MH he could not inspect it. Asked them to pull it out to lot, and was told they did not have time. After a couple of attempts ,and days, and was denied both times, he asked me to call them to see what was going on. After a 2 week battle to get this done and a breakdown of price, I got a call from my ins. man that I had to remove my MH from Camping World property!! I did ASAP! Took it to my local hydraulic shop. After a big fight to get parts (because he was not an RV repair shop) and a few weeks, DONE new pump, controls, and lines it was done. $4k. Insurance adjuster was concerned how many times this happened, because they deal with CW often. I still buy from store, but I will never go to them for repairs. Happy Travels
Large Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #27
Site Team

Hi Marge,
Well, we can tell one thing for sure, and that is you replied back to your original posting from 15 months ago faster than Camping World repaired your motorhome!
Glad you have it fixed now.
Eagle5

Tags
camping