Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-03-2021, 08:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Fiberglass Roof Conditioning

So, this is my first class A and my first Winnebago with a fiberglass roof (2003 Journey).

The previous owner had had some roof repairs with silicone--ugh. I used to build wind turbines and can tell you, silicone should never be used for this purpose.

I watched the video often posted here and ordered some of the correct product. I had found a leak when ripping mirrors off the bedroom wall and traced it back to failed silicone. That area was fixed but I didn't have the time to do the whole roof.

Time time of year, I started getting ads for "roof conditioning". I googled it and it seems that it is something that should be done twice a year BUT I did not find anything specific for the WB Fiberglass roofs.

I figured it is better to do it than not especially since I don't know when it was last done and it would give me an opportunity to inspect for any areas that need attention.

I did a through wash using RV wash and wax I already had lying around. I know there are roof washes specifically for this but it seemed like overkill. The next day once it had dried, I repaired one section where the silicone had failed at the front cap. I then wiped the entire roof with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth (I made up this step but wanted to remove any residue from washing) and then applied 303 Marine (see link) and wiped with a microfiber.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AY1W1...roduct_details

This left a nice looking matte finish and this morning water is beading on the roof. Anyone use this method or am I doing it wrong?
Maddmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It looks like a good choice. I don't see why any quality product made for boat fiberglass wouldn't be OK.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
It looks like a good choice. I don't see why any quality product made for boat fiberglass wouldn't be OK.

Yeah the reviews do have a lot of people using it on RVs. Seems like both a boat and an RV roof live a rough life exposed to UV and the elements. I plan to treat my boat when I winterize her this weekend too.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:32 PM   #4
Site Team

I use 303 on my roof and I'm please with how it holds up. I expected to need to do it every six months but find it lasting more like 9-months. I use the 303 Aerospace UV Protectant rather than Marine. I'm not sure what the difference is, I've just always used the Aero version. Maybe it's just different packaging.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I use 303 on my roof and I'm please with how it holds up. I expected to need to do it every six months but find it lasting more like 9-months. I use the 303 Aerospace UV Protectant rather than Marine. I'm not sure what the difference is, I've just always used the Aero version. Maybe it's just different packaging.

Glad to hear someone else is using it and that it holds up.

I believe they are the same product as this one says Aerospace on the bottle but it is being marketed for marine use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-03 161920.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	181224  
Old 11-07-2021, 05:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

303 rocks (for many things). A word on the silicone sealants: I'm with you, I nearly never use silicone, unless I'm sure it's something I will be disassembling regularly. Silicone leaves a residue which is nearly impossible to remove. However, our roofs flex to an incredible degree. You can't use 3M 5200/4200 for lack of flex and difficulty of removal. Sikaflex makes some very good sealants with up to 17% flex, but I finally decided on a good marine silicone (not Home Depot) since I figure I'll be doing this every 2-3 years.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Well Maddmike,
The subject of how to best protect and or preserve a fiberglass roof has been brought up on here, oh, maybe a few dozen times in the last 10+ years. Is there a RIGHT way or a WRONG way to do it? Well, it's all a matter of opinion. Some owners paint them, some coat them with stuff like 303 and then there's me. I look at a fiberglass roof as the same as the sides of a fiberglass motorhome.

My way is very similar to yours in the first part, washing it and prepping it. But, I do it differently to preserve and protect it. Once mine was all washed with good soap, some cleanser and water, I let it thoroughly dry and then, I got out the DeWalt pro buffer with a wool pad and went to work with some 3M machine polishing compound. I've posted these before but, just for info for you, here the results of how it turned out. That was done several years ago and the roof, while not near as shiny as it first was, is still in great shape. I'm about ready to do all of it over again.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0549.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	181269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	181270  

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	181271   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	181272  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My roof was horrible (as was the etched-in graphics). With six decades of experience with Pettit Ezpoxy single part polyurethane paint on boats, I did four coats before installing my three solar panels (which I knew would never be exposed again).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210901_144507.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	181273  
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2005 Sightseer that no longer has a fiberglass roof. Too late I found out that "twice a year" one is supposed to inspect and repair the sealant that runs down those channels high on each side where the fiberglass terminates. If that is not done, the roof may blow off!

It did exactly that for us. And it was just a typical gusty day.

I was still learning about this, my first RV when this happened. I thought maybe you should know about this maintenance task.

The insurance company turned down the claim -- they knew all about the maintenance required for those sealant tracks.

A full repair of the fiberglass was estimated at about $30k -- we couldn't do that on a 15 year old RV, so we went a different way.

Good luck with the maintenance and document it!

John Lindsay
jdlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof