Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-31-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Transmission shifting

I have a 2015 Vista 31 with Ford V-10 and 5 speed transmission.

Have heard of an update you can install to the computer that will get a little more power but help constant downshifting. Goes from OD to drive to 3rd all the time, wish I could at least hold in drive so its not spinning 4000+ rpm all the time.

Anyone tried one?

Thanks Brian
Old 08-31-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
https://5startuning.com
or
https://www.bankspower.com/?gclid=Cj...IaAmSZEALw_wcB

are two you'll see mentioned on the forums. i have no experience with or interest in either.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I actually called 5 star and sounds like they can help, $550.00
Old 08-31-2020, 05:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Or you could get your foot out of the carburetor (oops, fuel injectors these days) or turn off the cruise control when approaching a hill or overpass and then drive the RV up the hill or overpass and ease off on the accelerator to keep it from downshifting and jumping the RPMs way up.

That is what I did with my 2 Fords gasers, but I generally didn't drive over about 60-62mph, many times I drove between 56-58mph. Better gas mileage.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:37 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo64 View Post
Thanks, I actually called 5 star and sounds like they can help, $550.00
I looked at their own video (5 Star). Watched THEIR videos, and those of others.

Even then... I have no problem spending money on things, but I’m not convinced spending $$ on their system will make an appreciable difference. I suggest you watch their own testimonial video (and that of others), and decide for yourself.

Hint...there’s no Majic pill...
Old 08-31-2020, 11:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Or you could get your foot out of the carburetor (oops, fuel injectors these days) or turn off the cruise control when approaching a hill or overpass and then drive the RV up the hill or overpass and ease off on the accelerator to keep it from downshifting and jumping the RPMs way up.

That is what I did with my 2 Fords gasers, but I generally didn't drive over about 60-62mph, many times I drove between 56-58mph. Better gas mileage.

That's exactly what I did on our Alaska to the Lower-48 trips. It requires constant attention to both your RV operation and the road, including the road ahead so you can anticipate what action is necessary to prevent or minimize those radical downshifts and resulting fuel guzzling.

In hilly areas and when road conditions permit, I will allow the speed to increase quite a bit on the downhill so it will be easier to get up the other side while keeping the momentum as much as possible and when necessary backing off the throttle slightly to prevent or at least delay the downshifts.

I also frequently cycle the cruise control on and off as needed to help make these methods work without over taxing the engine/transmission.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I do not use the cruise control, that makes it much worse. I try and feather the accelerator but likes to jump from OD right to 3rd. Also tried running in tow/haul mode. Maybe it is just designed to run at high rpm, more the noise of the high reving.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo64 View Post
I do not use the cruise control, that makes it much worse. I try and feather the accelerator but likes to jump from OD right to 3rd. Also tried running in tow/haul mode. Maybe it is just designed to run at high rpm, more the noise of the high reving.
Are you absolutely sure it goes all the way to 3rd and not from 5th to 4th?

I'm pretty sure if you are doing 60-65mph the computer will not allow a down shift to 3rd because it would over rev the engine.

I have driven the Ford 5 speed for over 50,000 miles on small hills, large hills, very steep mountains (7%-10% grades) and have never had it shift from 5th to 3rd without going to 4th first.

That is unless I manually shifted from 5th (OD) to 3rd. This transmission has no way for the driver to manually shift into 4th gear. Only the computer can select 4th based on driving conditions such as how hard a person pressing on the accelerator.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Are you absolutely sure it goes all the way to 3rd and not from 5th to 4th?

I'm pretty sure if you are doing 60-65mph the computer will not allow a down shift to 3rd because it would over rev the engine.

I have driven the Ford 5 speed for over 50,000 miles on small hills, large hills, very steep mountains (7%-10% grades) and have never had it shift from 5th to 3rd without going to 4th first.

That is unless I manually shifted from 5th (OD) to 3rd. This transmission has no way for the driver to manually shift into 4th gear. Only the computer can select 4th based on driving conditions such as how hard a person pressing on the accelerator.
He's sure, mine does the same thing. Sure it passes through 4th gear, for maybe a second, then it goes to 3rd. So technically I guess it doesn't shift directly to 3rd, but it spends so little time in 4th that it doesn't really count, in my opinion.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Another question about the 2020 Ford V10 on a Vista 29V. I've noticed that sometimes when going downhill, it will downshift and use "engine braking". But I can't figure out how to get this to start, nor stop. It seems somewhat random. Any ideas?
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I bought the 5-Star with a coupon from Motorhome magazine for $400 + tax. Works as advertised for me, especially the HP boost. We went through the Ozarks in July and had no issue with the grades there. I'd do it again. BTW - I still use Tow/Haul mode.
winston74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #12
RVCalypso

Thumbs up

Quote:

Exactly right! That is how I drive, it makes for a very happy engine, tranny and wife!
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog964 View Post
Another question about the 2020 Ford V10 on a Vista 29V. I've noticed that sometimes when going downhill, it will downshift and use "engine braking". But I can't figure out how to get this to start, nor stop. It seems somewhat random. Any ideas?
The engine braking is more aggressive when in towhaul mode, which I expect is a button on the end of the shifter. You can tap the brake to get it to downshift one gear.

Mine will also do that when using cruise control and going down a hill that will cause the RV to get too far over the set speed.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:02 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Lambo,

The 5-Star tune will likely do exactly what you want. I installed mine several years back, and no regrets. It seems like the rig now likes 4th gear for most hills, where in the past it liked to go directly to 3rd at even a slight incline.

Too bad you have to spend the $$$ to get it shifting right, but I guess Ford had to program the tranny for bread trucks and everything else under the sun. They chose a bad compromise, IMHO.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:00 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

While on the subject of the 2019 Ford V10 transmission, we recently returned from a 3200 trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons in our MW 22M motor home and noticed when going up steep grades at around 65 MPH in the heat, the transmission would downshift as you would expect, and on occasion, would be briefly accompanied by a loud vacuum/whirl like sound. Has anyone else noticed this on the newer V10 5-speed transmission?

To be clear, I’m almost certain the sound is not coming from the transmission itself but from the engine system. I’m wondering if the Ford engine has some kind of fuel injection hyper-assist mode it goes into at higher speeds and heavier loads, or that a high volume fan is momentarily kicking in to help with dissipate heat. Just guessing on my part as I know little about truck engines/transmissions. Other than this, the engine/transmission appears as expected under all other driving conditions and speeds.
tesscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:41 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

REF: 2004 E450 V10

So, when taking hills, am I better** to maintain the RPM that delivers the most torque, or the RPM that delivers the max HP? Or, just the highest gear that will maintain the MPH that I want?

**For the motor and trans
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:10 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I would prefer the highest gear that would maintain speed, but if not, the RPM with the highest HP.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

I view going up a mountain this way. #1 I don't want to overheat the transmission/engine. #2 I want to make as easy as possible for the engine and transmission to get us to the top. #3 I don't care what my speed is, I want to take care of #1 & #2.

I listen to the engine and if it is loading down, I down shift and increase my RPMs.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:30 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I'm a bit worried that in this RV I have no Transmission Temp gauge.

We will be leaving tomorrow AM for our Maiden Voyage in this unit. I will be going from sea level to over 4200' on one pass. Not wicked, but worthy of respect.

All my previous RVing was towing a TT with a Suburban.

When I get back, I'm going to try to get a temp gauge installed.
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:44 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I'm a bit worried that in this RV I have no Transmission Temp gauge.
On all of my gasser trucks and RV I use the SCAN gauge G. I prefer the Banks for a diesel, but with the Mercedes Sprinter chassis the SCAN gauge has custom codes and works well.

I feel it is worth watching all of these perimeters. I have the gauges right below my level of sight out the windshield, so I can just glance down, instead of hunting for information. On my current Mercedes I have two of the SCAN gauges stacked, so I have 8 different pieces of information right there.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote