Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

How time flies . In checking my service records, the previous owner had the Allison serviced at 30,400 miles in October 2004. I've put 16,000 on the rig since then but that was 2 1/2 years ago. According to the Allison website, the 3000MH tranny should be serviced every 25K miles, 12 months, or 1,000 hours..whichever comes first. Every year seems a bit excessive to me.

Prior owner used Dexron III at the last service (probably was thinking of trading the rig which he did 2 months later).

Guess I should do a service now.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

How time flies . In checking my service records, the previous owner had the Allison serviced at 30,400 miles in October 2004. I've put 16,000 on the rig since then but that was 2 1/2 years ago. According to the Allison website, the 3000MH tranny should be serviced every 25K miles, 12 months, or 1,000 hours..whichever comes first. Every year seems a bit excessive to me.

Prior owner used Dexron III at the last service (probably was thinking of trading the rig which he did 2 months later).

Guess I should do a service now.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

smlranger --

Look at the prior post under 'Transmission Service' in MH General Discussion.

Assuming you are going to keep your coach (??) if you change to TranSynd, you need to change it twice under the current 12mos/25kmi intervals with TranSynd. After that you can go to the 100% TranSynd change interval as specified on the Allison website (see prior post noted above) and it becomes 48mos/150kmi for fluid change, and 36mos/75kmi for filters.

I too allowed my prior coach to go too long for transmission service; now I know I should have done the service every 12mos.

Change to TranSynd -- much better product under heat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I will check that thread. Realistically, we may keep this rig for another 2 - 3 years max (unless I hit the lotto..then, who knows??) I am likely not going to change to Transynd at this point.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Every year seems a bit excessive to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
...and to me too. I fulltime, and do mine ever two years, and even then at less than 25k.

I have no interest in changing to synthetics ...I know many think they are wonderful, wonderful, but my only experience with synthetics was not good so I have no need to spend extra $$ to go there.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...and to me too. I fulltime, and do mine ever two years, and even then at less than 25k. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul:

That's what I'm thinking....every other year at my average annual mileage of 6,000 seem reasonable. I had the Silverleaf system on the coach for a short time (had problems talking to my laptop so sent it back) and tranny temps in hot weather pulling my 4,700 lb Explorer were never a problem.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I recently changed mine and used Dexron III with the new Allison extended life filters(the same ones as used with Transynd). Total cost; about $100 for the fluid and filters. I'm also going to change it every two years unless I exceed 25K miles and then I'll change it then. Inland Truck Parts in Irving, TX is a good source for Allison filters at a reasonable price. If I lived in mountainous country and was towing most of the time, I might consider the switch to Transynd.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

if you're thinking Transynd or no Transynd ... What would Allison do?

Automatic transmission fluid may well be the most important part of a modern automatic transmission. It has been said that the transmission fluid is the "life blood" of the transmission. Therefore, it is very important that transmission fluid have the same performance and durability as any other part in the transmission.

Transmission fluid exerts force to move internal transmission parts. It lubricates internal transmission parts while acting as a coolant to carry heat away from the transmission's clutches, torque converter, and retarder sections. The heat is extracted and the transmission fluid is cooled in the cooling circuit. Various filters, built into the system, keep the fluid clean and free of debris.

Transmission fluids are designed to stay in the transmission for long periods of time. The better the fluid quality, the less you will have to maintain it. Allison Transmission has worked with lubricant manufacturers and their scientists over the years to continuously improve automatic transmission fluids.

Transmission fluids technology has come a long way over the past 5 - 10 years. TranSyndTM and TranSyndTM RD are primary examples of what can be accomplished through advanced transmission fluid technologies. Modern transmission fluids, such as TranSyndTM and TranSyndTM RD are capable of lasting many hours and many miles without the need for change in a wide variety of vocations and applications ranging from school buses to very large mining equipment. Extended drain intervals translate to reduced maintenance and improved productivity.

Among other things, the fluids webpage includes links to a list of approved Allison C4 products, the latest approvals to the Allison TES-295 specification, as well as the TES-389 specification. There is also a link to oil analysis. Oil analysis can be very useful in determining the life of your automatic transmission fluid. Allison has developed a kit that makes it simple and easy to monitor your transmission fluid no matter how many vehicles in your fleet. It's all automatic !!!! Simply purchase the kit, send in the samples, and get the results via mail, email, or the web. It's that easy. Allison's computer based analysis will look at the results and make a recommendation based on the condition of the fluid. (C) Allison Automatic Transmissions
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote