Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-06-2020, 06:24 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog964 View Post
Another question about the 2020 Ford V10 on a Vista 29V. I've noticed that sometimes when going downhill, it will downshift and use "engine braking". But I can't figure out how to get this to start, nor stop. It seems somewhat random. Any ideas?
Tapping the brake won’t take off the “engine braking”. The engine braking is caused by the “tow/haul” mode that is turned on and off by tapping the button on the end of the gear shift.

What I’ve learned to do is to use the engine braking going down the hill, to save my brakes and then just before I get to the bottom of the hill, I’ll tap the button (turning off the tow/haul), thus immediately turning off the engine brake. This allows me to use my downhill momentum for the upcoming uphill.
Dlvgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:28 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway4 View Post
On all of my gasser trucks and RV I use the SCAN gauge G.
I don't find this product. I find Scan Gauge II, but no G. Scan Gauge II doesn't read trans temp.

?
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:40 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I have a Scan Gauge G and a Scan Gauge II. The 2020 should use the CANSF protocol. You may have to program in the proper TXD RXF RXD MTH codes as per the SCAN Gauge program. There are 4 different combinations for the CANSF protocol and Ford Vehicles. It should show "TFT. The SCAN Gauge G worked for me with a 2000 Ford V10. I don't remember what protocol that was. A V 10 2000 was my last gas RV.

There are some functions which work from the Mercedes on my older SCAN Gauge G, and others I had to program in for the SCAN Gauge II.

Sorry, I failed to recognize that the G has been supplemented by the newer models.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:07 PM   #24
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlvgolf View Post
Tapping the brake won’t take off the “engine braking”. The engine braking is caused by the “tow/haul” mode that is turned on and off by tapping the button on the end of the gear shift.

What I’ve learned to do is to use the engine braking going down the hill, to save my brakes and then just before I get to the bottom of the hill, I’ll tap the button (turning off the tow/haul), thus immediately turning off the engine brake. This allows me to use my downhill momentum for the upcoming uphill.
Ditto. Exactly how I use the Tow/Haul mode...
Old 09-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
I'm a bit worried that in this RV I have no Transmission Temp gauge. .
A $20 OBD-II bluetooth device may give you that information. Ironically they don't on my truck even though I can get that information from the vehicle display.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:43 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
A $20 OBD-II bluetooth device may give you that information. Ironically they don't on my truck even though I can get that information from the vehicle display.
I'm looking now at all the OBDII products available. I hadn't even thought of iusing OBDII for trans temp....DUH! Now that I see what is available, I'm looking at some nifty thing with color screen.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:49 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

I have these two. The one thing they have in common is they both turn off automatically, so you don't need to unplug them each time, but the first you need to push to turn it back on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The second I bought because it has custom downloads for my engine and can track diesel regeneration information. It also comes with a fairly nice app of it's own, although like others you can use the third party apps (e.g. Torque).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But again, for my engine neither gives transmission temps for some reason, even though that is part of the vehicle information on the dash display.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Down shifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo64 View Post
I do not use the cruise control, that makes it much worse. I try and feather the accelerator but likes to jump from OD right to 3rd. Also tried running in tow/haul mode. Maybe it is just designed to run at high rpm, more the noise of the high reving.
So I had the same problem with my 35F and I bought the 5 star tuner and it made a big difference
Dpforza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I'm a bit worried that in this RV I have no Transmission Temp gauge.

We will be leaving tomorrow AM for our Maiden Voyage in this unit. I will be going from sea level to over 4200' on one pass. Not wicked, but worthy of respect.

All my previous RVing was towing a TT with a Suburban.

When I get back, I'm going to try to get a temp gauge installed.
With my gas engine RV I used a ScanGauge » Products which displayed the engine temperature. I just watched the engine temp and as it goes up I geared down. It may be possible for the ScanGauge to be programmed to display the transmission temp. I just never explored that option.

While it is nice to have a transmission temp gauge, I feel just watching the engine temp works very well. The transmission cooling fins are in front of the engine radiator so the transmission tends to heat the engine up.

I never got too concerned on my Ford until the temps got above 212 to 215, which was only once or twice and that was in very hot weather on steep climbs.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:23 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
With my gas engine RV I used a ScanGauge » Products which displayed the engine temperature. I just watched the engine temp and as it goes up I geared down. It may be possible for the ScanGauge to be programmed to display the transmission temp. I just never explored that option.

While it is nice to have a transmission temp gauge, I feel just watching the engine temp works very well. The transmission cooling fins are in front of the engine radiator so the transmission tends to heat the engine up.

I never got too concerned on my Ford until the temps got above 212 to 215, which was only once or twice and that was in very hot weather on steep climbs.

There was a conversation here on that very subject about a year ago and one member (can't remember his name) said that a ScanGauge can be programmed to read out transmission temp. It wasn't in the user manual that came with mine, but it was said that you can call the company to get the programming code to do it.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:40 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesscr View Post
While on the subject of the 2019 Ford V10 transmission, we recently returned from a 3200 trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons in our MW 22M motor home and noticed when going up steep grades at around 65 MPH in the heat, the transmission would downshift as you would expect, and on occasion, would be briefly accompanied by a loud vacuum/whirl like sound. Has anyone else noticed this on the newer V10 5-speed transmission?
Fan clutch engages.

Going up steep grades at 65? Dang. Can't do that in mine.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:12 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Although every engine/transmission setup is different, my truck's transmission fluid heats up much more, and varies much more, than coolant temp or engine oil temp. Coolant probably only varies 10 degrees, oil 20 and transmission over 50!
Old 09-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

I'm resting at the campground after our first 350 Mike haul uphill. I'm very impressed with the Triton. With outside temps at about 100F, no overheating. It pulls uphill at 62 mph easily in 3rd, at 3200 RPM. Handled really well, could not even feel semis passing me the other way on 2 lane highways.

Downside? 7.8 MPG! Shebang! Going home Friday will be all downhill, so maybe I'll get a bit better. I'll also not do 70mph on the flats. Maybe hold to 65. It cruises nicely at 2300 rpm, about 60 mph.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:37 PM   #34
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
I'm resting at the campground after our first 350 Mike haul uphill. I'm very impressed with the Triton. With outside temps at about 100F, no overheating. It pulls uphill at 62 mph easily in 3rd, at 3200 RPM. Handled really well, could not even feel semis passing me the other way on 2 lane highways.

Downside? 7.8 MPG! Shebang! Going home Friday will be all downhill, so maybe I'll get a bit better. I'll also not do 70mph on the flats. Maybe hold to 65. It cruises nicely at 2300 rpm, about 60 mph.
I’ve tracked our mileage and gas fill ups since we bought our RV, it’s fully loaded, I get on average 7.1 miles to the gallon. So I think you’re doing pretty darn good.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:54 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

I guess was dreaming when I thought I could get 10MPG. LOL
Old 09-08-2020, 07:18 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo64 View Post
I do not use the cruise control, that makes it much worse. I try and feather the accelerator but likes to jump from OD right to 3rd. Also tried running in tow/haul mode. Maybe it is just designed to run at high rpm, more the noise of the high reving.
The other issue with cruise control is some systems will slow the vehicle going downhill. That's good for long stretches, but if you have another uphill right in front of you it can be counterproductive (assuming your speeds don't get excessive going downhill).

But yeah, you should be able to control downshifting better with your foot than with cruise control.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:01 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

I tried cruise control yesterday. It downshifted too early for my taste. I was happy to scrub off 3 or 4 MPH for a few minutes instead of downshifting.

CC was fine on the level ground, but not in hilly sections.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:21 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure what your engine is, but assuming it's gasoline you might consider a diesel next time. Lower RPMs and better fuel mileage. With my truck/trailer combination my concern is more about lugging the engine too much! I tend to stay in tow/haul mode except on very level Interstate to avoid that happening.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:52 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I'm not sure what your engine is, but assuming it's gasoline you might consider a diesel next time. Lower RPMs and better fuel mileage. With my truck/trailer combination my concern is more about lugging the engine too much! I tend to stay in tow/haul mode except on very level Interstate to avoid that happening.
Mine is the gas V10 Triton. At 72, I think this is my last RV! 😃
Old 09-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #40
Site Team

I like to put it on cruise control, but use the coast button to reduce the speed gradually as it goes up a hill or overpass. You can hear the transmission sound change just before it downshifts. That’s when I hit the coast button. It usually only needs to reduce speed 1 or 2 mph to get up a hill. For big hills, I take it out of cruise control and start it again on the other side. It works well for me and allows me to use cruise control more often, especially while in tow/haul mode.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote