Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-17-2020, 08:55 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Easy question but complex answer.
Heat the major killer of tires. UV just does surface cosmetic damage and in 40 years as a tire design I can say I have never seen a tire "fail" because of UV damage.
I had a boat sitting on a trailer for years in a dark garage--probably in excess of 12 years. The tires eventually disintegrated just sitting there!
Old 09-18-2020, 02:20 AM   #42
Winnebago Owner

I live in the moderate but high (5400') altitude dry climate of Prescott, Arizona and the UV here is very intense and destructive. If you spend more that 30 minutes in the sun without protection, expect a good sunburn. I didn't cover my previous Monaco La Palma Class A that was gel coat with painted graphics that replaced the vinyl graphics that were totally cracked and destroyed. I also buffed the gelcoat on it every year I owned it, which is much more work than buffing base coat clear coat full body paint. The painted graphics on it had to be repainted after 5 years due to clear coat damage, which I redid myself. I now have a 2005 Winnebago 38R Adventurer with beautiful full body paint. I bought it in February of 2019 with just 12,000 miles and it had always been kept inside or under a roof its entire life prior to me. It is in perfect, like new condition inside and out and I intend to keep it that way. I do all my own maintenance and keep it waxed and buffed, and I have coated the roof with pure silicone Tropi-Cool coating for radiant heat reduction and protection of the gel coat roof. It has the added benefit of being easy to clean and no more waxing. I would love to spend $60,000 on a RV garage but the wife and my budget dictate a $500 ADCO RV cover for now. Although the cover is a pain, I will use it to protect it because I would never want to repaint nor could I afford to repaint this motorhome. Although I am 68 I am in pretty good shape so I can haul the cover up and install it by myself with no problems. Before I install the cover, I place a 10' by 40' billboard sign heavy vinyl sign cover to protect the RV cover from all the sharp edges and abrasion of the RV cover. The RV cover is holding up very well, with no rips of tears although I can see it is fading and deteriorating from the UV, but it will probably need to be replaced in another year or two. I have had some rubbing marks on the front and rear caps but they buff out without too much effort. I have looked at many motorhomes over the years in Arizona and almost all have clearcoat damage or gelcoat deterioration after after a few years. Once the clear coat is damaged, its a $8,000 to $10,000 to repaint it and it may never be as nice as the original paint. My cover is the only way I can protect the paint on my motorhome, so its worth it to me.
deucehotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:00 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucehotrods View Post
I live in the moderate but high (5400') altitude dry climate of Prescott, Arizona and the UV here is very intense and destructive. If you spend more that 30 minutes in the sun without protection, expect a good sunburn. I didn't cover my previous Monaco La Palma Class A that was gel coat with painted graphics that replaced the vinyl graphics that were totally cracked and destroyed. I also buffed the gelcoat on it every year I owned it, which is much more work than buffing base coat clear coat full body paint. The painted graphics on it had to be repainted after 5 years due to clear coat damage, which I redid myself. I now have a 2005 Winnebago 38R Adventurer with beautiful full body paint. I bought it in February of 2019 with just 12,000 miles and it had always been kept inside or under a roof its entire life prior to me. It is in perfect, like new condition inside and out and I intend to keep it that way. I do all my own maintenance and keep it waxed and buffed, and I have coated the roof with pure silicone Tropi-Cool coating for radiant heat reduction and protection of the gel coat roof. It has the added benefit of being easy to clean and no more waxing. I would love to spend $60,000 on a RV garage but the wife and my budget dictate a $500 ADCO RV cover for now. Although the cover is a pain, I will use it to protect it because I would never want to repaint nor could I afford to repaint this motorhome. Although I am 68 I am in pretty good shape so I can haul the cover up and install it by myself with no problems. Before I install the cover, I place a 10' by 40' billboard sign heavy vinyl sign cover to protect the RV cover from all the sharp edges and abrasion of the RV cover. The RV cover is holding up very well, with no rips of tears although I can see it is fading and deteriorating from the UV, but it will probably need to be replaced in another year or two. I have had some rubbing marks on the front and rear caps but they buff out without too much effort. I have looked at many motorhomes over the years in Arizona and almost all have clearcoat damage or gelcoat deterioration after after a few years. Once the clear coat is damaged, its a $8,000 to $10,000 to repaint it and it may never be as nice as the original paint. My cover is the only way I can protect the paint on my motorhome, so its worth it to me.
The Adventurer is very nice, sounds like you found a deal. My RV was also stored inside at a Dealer's lot. But I keep it outside in the Texas heat with temperatures going over 100 degrees for days. So far I spend about 2 hours a month washing / wax and treating decals.

Covering your RV is certainly an option and no one says you should NOT. I think we just pointed out with some surprise that covers are NOT recommended by Winnebago and they said doing so is at the owners risk. Sounds like for you your rewards exceeds the risks.

I have few questions.

1. You mention you buffed your older RV every year, but concern was with the graphics. Did you buff the graphics too? Wax can help destroy the graphics, so unless you were treating the graphics with a protectant, you probably did pretty good to get 5 years.

2. I can't visually what you are doing with a 10' X 40' billboard sign in relation with cover? Can you clarify or picture?

3. How long does it take you to cover the RV and to remove? One or two people?
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:34 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
The Adventurer is very nice, sounds like you found a deal. My RV was also stored inside at a Dealer's lot. But I keep it outside in the Texas heat with temperatures going over 100 degrees for days. So far I spend about 2 hours a month washing / wax and treating decals.

Covering your RV is certainly an option and no one says you should NOT. I think we just pointed out with some surprise that covers are NOT recommended by Winnebago and they said doing so is at the owners risk. Sounds like for you your rewards exceeds the risks.

I have few questions.

1. You mention you buffed your older RV every year, but concern was with the graphics. Did you buff the graphics too? Wax can help destroy the graphics, so unless you were treating the graphics with a protectant, you probably did pretty good to get 5 years.

2. I can't visually what you are doing with a 10' X 40' billboard sign in relation with cover? Can you clarify or picture?

3. How long does it take you to cover the RV and to remove? One or two people?
I bought my used 2002 Monaco La Palma from Denver, Colorado in 2014. It was clean and nice inside but the original vinyl graphics were in bad shape and cracked, especially the dark brown colors that absorb heat and UV in that high altitude climate. The fiberglass gel coat was even damaged and cracked under the dark brown graphics. I used a heat gun and plastic putty knife to remove all of them and had a body shop repair and repaint the graphics with base coat clear coat paint in the same pattern and colors. It cost about $1000, which was less than the $2500+ estimate for new vinyl graphics. After the repairs I had them buff the gel coat for another $400 but I wasn't happy with the job they did, so I rebuffed it myself after that and again every year. Most of the graphics that were repainted survived the next five years, but some of them and the front and rear lower cap that were repainted in gold at the same time as the graphics faded and the clear coat lifted along with the original gold painted areas behind the windshield. I had already bought the Adventurer in February of 2019 so before I sold it I decided to repaint it myself. It took me about two months to sand it all down, do the body work, prime and repaint the damaged areas in base coat clear coat. I had experience spraying single stage before but this was the first time with base coat clear coat. I did it all outside, which was a challenge, due to trying to paint in the shade out of the sun to lay it on wet without orange peel. It turned out pretty well for my first try, although I had to cut and buff some of clear that dried too fast to get good gloss out of it.

I sold it in three days to the third person that looked at it so it looked pretty good. That was good because a few weeks later we took the Adventurer on a 7000 mile, nine week trip up to Victoria, BC Canada and then across the country to Minnesota before returning to Arizona. Great trip, fully loaded, pulling an Aluma 18' open trailer with my '32 Ford pickup on it. No incidents or problems, so I was thankful for that for the first trip with a new and untested motorhome.

The billboard sign covers are a heavy vinyl tarp with the graphics on one side and solid color on the other side. The independent contractors that put them up for the sign companies sell the old ones for $40-$60 when they replace them with the new signs. They are tough as hell and are still in good shape even after being on a billboard for months. They come in all sizes, although the big ones are a bit harder to find and I bought mine locally off Craigslist. I just lay it down on the top of the motorhome with the graphics up just so it covers the whole roof and all the protrusions like the TV and folded down radio/CB antennas, vent covers, satellite dish, etc. It is just big enough to just cover the sharp edges on the awning and slide out awnings, so its about 9" wider than the roof on each side. Any extra length in front or back you just fold back so it doesn't rub on the paint too far down.

I roll up the billboard cover on my driveway and carry it up the ladder and then roll it out from back to front on the motorhome. I do the same thing with the ADCO RV cover. It is much heavier so I tie a tie down strap around it and then use another tie down strap to tie to that one that I use as a sling to carry it on my back as I go up the ladder. It is a tough haul and test of my strength but I can get it up there. I may use another method the next time since I have a five foot retaining wall between the driveway to my shop and where I park the motorhome and I can park the motorhome within a foot of it so I may just lift the cover to the roof from the driveway on top of the retaining wall before I back it into its parking spot. I sometimes park it there to buff of the upper sides of the motorhome from there so I don't have to use a ladder. I install the cover by myself and it takes about an hour to take it off or put it on. I'm retired so fast isn't my goal, just doing it safely.

I realize covers don't work for everyone but in my situation its the only way to protect my paint because I learned the hard way with the Monaco. Different climates may be too wet and humid to use a cover. My motorhome is parked beside my shop which somewhat protects it from the wind and the afternoon sun but it still gets full sun exposure on the east and south sides. My neighbor down the street has a new Class A that he put a Camco cover on and it was destroyed in about 6 months. I keep a close eye on my cover and its holding up well so far. The cover seems to stay an inch or two off the sides so the UV and heat doesn't get to it as much and the ladder helps keep some airspace on the back that faces the south. Like I said I'd much rather have an RV garage but it would cost much more that the $39,000 I paid for the Adventurer, as my wife reminds me!

Taken by Crater Lake, Oregon in July 2019.

Here's the Monaco after I repainted and buffed it and put it up for sale.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:49 AM   #45
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucehotrods View Post

Taken by Crater Lake, Oregon in July 2019.

Here's the Monaco after I repainted and buffed it and put it up for sale.
Wow Deuce, you da man. All very impressive

Thanks for taking the time to clarify. You have certainly offsetted and very capable of the effort to thwart, or mitigate concerns that are typically raised with covers.

My coach is only 30'. In my case, I desire to use my coach year around on demand without the efforts associated with removing and putting cover back on. You have indirectly provided me with more motivation by way of the importance of keeping the clearcoat protected from UV. In 30 plus years of washing / waxing boats in same Texas heat, I have not encountered such deformities of clearcoat or graphics. My current RV is only 1 year down. So far it still looks new (waxed twice by hand). It will take me 4 more years to really know. With that said, I have seen people on these forums complain about UV damage with new RVs that may be 2 years old or less? Everytime I read, I am thinking to myself, I bet it has never waxed or decals treated, but they blame the mfg's just the same.

Again thanks for the info, I am impressed.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:02 PM   #46
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the kind words. I like to take good care of my stuff and I can see you do too. I am amazed at how quickly and badly people trash their motorhomes in such a short time from the ones I've looked at over the years. Its rare to find one that's been taken care of. For what they cost new and to not want to protect that investment just puzzles me. Once the clear coat is damaged and starts to show it, its too late to stop it. This will be my last motorhome, so I intend to keep as nice as I can because they are far too expensive to replace. After looking for a replacement for the Monaco for years, the Adventurer was a "one in a thousand" deal. I have driven as far as Denver and Los Angeles only to be sorely disappointed until this one popped up locally. I doubt I could ever replace it with one that was in that condition, with that low miles and the Workhorse chassis that I prefer.

I really like your boat too and would love to have one again since Lake Powell is just a short four hour drive from here. I wish I had never sold my Glastron Carlson CVX-23 that I bought new in 1988. It was still like new when I sold it a few years before moving here. I guess you can't have everything!
Old 09-25-2020, 11:41 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

I cover mine

2003 Winnebago Adventurer purchased in 2006. First 3 years of its life in SE Idaho I'm sure it wasn't covered. I started covering it 2008 with an ADCO cover when moved to NE coast of Oregon. Rain, humidity and winds, big winds gusts to 50+ MPH in some winters. You could watch the cover move in the winds with the stock attachments. One night the big wind got under it and it tore down 30 feet of seam. Insurance replaced cover.
With the new cover in addition to the factory tie downs I put 1/2 inch rope around the MH. Front center and rear. The cover did not blow off again for the next 6 years in Oregon and now in SE Idaho for 3 years. There was probably 4 years of those 9 I did not cover it. Anyway...
I have patched holes with awning tape or eternabond tape over the years from sharp edges but nothing serious. I plan on replacing the cover in the next 2 years.
Neither the roof or side finish has suffered any micro scratches. I do keep it waxed.
Putting on/off is a bit of a hassle but I still climb up there at 72 years and get er done. I hope I'm good for another 4 years doing that. Watch out for the skylite, you can't see it when covered. I believe the protection from UV, weather, sap is well worth the effort. It stores in a large garbage dumpster I bought at Home depot. Takes a lot of stuffing.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:04 AM   #48
Site Team

An article from Do It Yourself RV, with which I agree:
Old 09-26-2020, 06:30 AM   #49
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher0077 View Post
2003 Winnebago Adventurer purchased in 2006. First 3 years of its life in SE Idaho I'm sure it wasn't covered. I started covering it 2008 with an ADCO cover when moved to NE coast of Oregon. Rain, humidity and winds, big winds gusts to 50+ MPH in some winters. You could watch the cover move in the winds with the stock attachments. One night the big wind got under it and it tore down 30 feet of seam. Insurance replaced cover.
With the new cover in addition to the factory tie downs I put 1/2 inch rope around the MH. Front center and rear. The cover did not blow off again for the next 6 years in Oregon and now in SE Idaho for 3 years. There was probably 4 years of those 9 I did not cover it. Anyway...
I have patched holes with awning tape or eternabond tape over the years from sharp edges but nothing serious. I plan on replacing the cover in the next 2 years.
Neither the roof or side finish has suffered any micro scratches. I do keep it waxed.
Putting on/off is a bit of a hassle but I still climb up there at 72 years and get er done. I hope I'm good for another 4 years doing that. Watch out for the skylite, you can't see it when covered. I believe the protection from UV, weather, sap is well worth the effort. It stores in a large garbage dumpster I bought at Home depot. Takes a lot of stuffing.

Are you saying you have had a ADCO cover for 9 years that you expect 2 more years that you have used year around (except 4 years) in Oregon / SE Idaho?

What was going on the 4 years where you did not cover?

Covers certainly can have some advantages, and in harsh conditions they may be warranted, but if the concern is only UV from the sun, there are lots of easier and cheaper ways to keep that coach glossy and shiny. With that said, if you someplace like Oregon where you will be storing for months at time, the effort is a lot less for someone like me that use my coach year round.

Tags
motorhome