Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Should we cover our motorhome

We have a Winnie Sunstar 32YE and are debating to cover it or not. We currently store it outside in the elements at an RV storage lot. There are very few RV's covered so I'm assuming the census is not to cover but I'm curious what the forum here thinks and what Winnebago recommends.

Thoughts?
jsands72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I cover my trailer if it is going to sit a long time. Sun is very damaging to surfaces.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We cover ours when its parked at home for extended periods (3+ weeks). We also cover during leaf drop periods -- especially when the pine needles come down and pine sap runs here in GA
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I did not have good luck covering my class A in the Kansas winds. The cover would come loose and do damage. If I had checked more often mmaybe I would have had better luck.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I wouldn't do it if I was going to be using the RV periodically, too much work. Covers can also trap damaging moisture unless there are adequate provisions for air circulation:

https://www.your-rv-lifestyle.com/rv...#39;s%20finish.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:14 PM   #6
Site Team

If you research this topic on a number of RV forums I think you’ll find the vast majority not only don’t cover their RV, but advise against the practice.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Winnebago says AVOID COVERING Painted Surfaces.

It is in my manual Section 11 titled Maintenance and Storage

Reasons...

1. Water may appear between cover and motorhome due to rapid temperature changes
2. Water may vaporize and migrate into painted surface
3. Can result in blisters and/or bubbles in the paint
4. None of the above is covered under warranty
5. Use of cover is at owners risk, not to mention a lot of work

With that said, I could see in certain situations for temporary cover, but NOT for storage. I had planned to buy a cover before actually getting our RV. Now that I have one and I have been up on the roof a few times, It is ZERO chance I ever use a cover. I will continue to wash and wax. It is only a year, but my surfaces looks good . Just waxed the roof for the first time this past weekend. It took my son and I about 40 minutes, we did it all by hand. I bet it would take me an hour to get a cover out; put on on the RV, strap it down, and then to take it off, put it back up to drive someplace That would get old quick.
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:29 PM   #8
Site Team

Here is how I cover my Class C, and it works very well.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:45 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
If you research this topic on a number of RV forums I think you’ll find the vast majority not only don’t cover their RV, but advise against the practice.
I agree. There is micro-abrasion, a constant rubbing of the fabric, even if it is advertised as to be 'paint and finish' friendly. I just use a good high quality UV-diminishing wax product, after a wet-wax/wash soft nylon brush Winnie Wash, twice a year...and check for debris upon the roof, every two weeks sitting upon my driveway. A quick step ladder with hose and hand sprayer in hand, takes care if anything is sitting up there. Having typed that...I do agree that if a trailer or R.V. is going to be subjected to falling evergreen needles, that might present a PITA problem for roof maintenance, so in that case...one might wish to cover the rig.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I can't even imagine how I would get a cover over my RV. I was barely able to put car cover on! ��
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Much appreciated.
jsands72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
No, particularly if there is any wind. Abrasion will "eat" through the paint.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

As much as you might be well intentioned to think about covering - don't. Have had my 09 Journey uncovered in a storage lot for 11 years and you couldn't tell the paint from brand new. Have watched others who have covered repairing significant paint damage from blowing and flapping covers where the winds were stronger than the attachments. Good luck
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

The correct answer is cover it. I personally wouldn’t want to stand outside naked for a whole winter. Neither does your RV.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:16 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I have a 32V and cover it every winter.
My coach is mostly gel coat with stickers on it so no abrasion worries for me.
It secures pretty well with minimal flapping plus it has vents to allow air to escape when it’s windy.
It is bulky and not my favorite job but after doing it a few times, I’m pretty good at it.
One big thing I did was buy a can of fluorescent orange parking lot line paint and after the cover was settled in place, marked every vent, sky light, antenna and such So I don’t step through a vent cover or solar panel. I also marked each corner. This makes placing it accurately so easy when putting the cover on.
The cover is designed with zippers to gain entrance when needed.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
The correct answer is cover it. I personally wouldn’t want to stand outside naked for a whole winter. Neither does your RV.
Do you cover your house too, or make it stand naked

Isn't that House discrimination. Only difference is your mobile house has wheels. You put nice coats of paint on the house to protect it from the elements and that is all you need to do for your mobile home (nice coats of wax).

We may have 3 kinds of owners.

1.Those that regularly wash and wax; so no worries about outdoor elements, nor a faded looking coach in 2 - 4 years
2. Those that use covers in hope that it protects while in storage but oblivious to actual surface damage being done by cover. (We may need Mythbusters to really prove it)
3. Those that neither use covers or wash & wax regularly. You see all of the posts with a owner asking why is my RV doing this after few years and basically blaming the mfg about the poor gel coat.

I guess a 4th could be those that store under a structured cover, or indoors as that works too.
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

For most RV's the best choice is a shed type of cover.. For example one which has the tubular arms and steel or aluminum sheeting. This gives shade, sun and snow protection, but allows air circulation around the RV

We tried covering one in fL and it seemed to cause more mildew and issues than prevented. So we just keep it well waxed. At another house the tubular frame shelter worked beautifully.

I have an almost new cover for a 30' RV=free for the cost of shipping if anyone wants one.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:39 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Hi! I would never ever cover the RV!

1. You risk mold and rust etc. due the humidity cannot evaporate. Even if you use those modern "let your vehicle breath" covers (they are only expensive but rubbish)
2. Your RV is made of fiberglas (walls & roof) and there are several layers of paint on it, so there is really no need to cover it, especially not against rain etc.

More important than covering is the point that your vehicle is standing on a paved spot and not on the grass (min 3ft distance).

The only "cover" which makes a certain sense are shelters with open sides and fronts, like carports. Portable shelters cost sbout $600-1500. So you protect the roof from snow & ice. But don't buy a "tent" for your vehicle. And if you parked your RV in the desert, you should cover the wheels against the sun.

But please: Never ever cover an entire vehicle, you will kill it and you also risk health issues due to mold etc.

During winter, you should open once or twice per month door and windows (on a dry sunny day) for about 10 minutes. The day before you restart your new camping season you let the furnace run up to 75F interior temperature to get this "old, cold & humid air" out.

Living in Idaho several years, we never covered our RV, it stayed in the rain, in ice and snow and there was never any issues due to humidity (even it's 30 years ago where affordable RVs had rubber roofs etc.)
cj_calva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:43 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsands72 View Post
We have a Winnie Sunstar 32YE and are debating to cover it or not. We currently store it outside in the elements at an RV storage lot. There are very few RV's covered so I'm assuming the census is not to cover but I'm curious what the forum here thinks and what Winnebago recommends.

Thoughts?
At least cover the tires to protect from UV and use a white cover or on Class-A a flat screen mesh is OK as white or mesh will keep temperature down by as much as 40F.

Remember heat can kill rubber and you can end up with belt separation.

Proof was published in my blog years ago.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
My concern is more about the summer, and this summer I wasn't using it so it was easy to leave covered. I have trips planned into October so it probably won't be covered again until sometime next summer if I have a dry spell. It's enough work that it's not worth it unless it's going to be covered for at least 3 weeks.

Tags
motorhome