Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-17-2022, 09:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

First time really boondocking

I have a 2003 Class C 31' Minnie. We are taking a 10 day trip for Thanksgiving and at the start of it we will be boondocking for 4 nights before we are at a state park with power. Either in a Cracker Barrel parking lot or a harvest host location. What can I expect to be able to run for the four nights/days? Unknown if I will have any access to electrical at the harvest host locations so I am assuming nothing available.

I have the standard 2 FLA batteries and a portable jackery explorer 500. Lights are all converted to LED.

I know we will need the fridge (propane mode), lights, heater (propane), water pump

We are driving about 5 hours each day, does a 2003 31C Minnie charge the house batteries while driving?
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 10:02 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Mashmaster,
Does your built-in generator no longer work? Your refrigerator draws very little electrical. Your furnace could draw up to 5 amps, but that isn't super-high. Certainly, your house batteries are recharged by your E-450 alternator when traveling down the road. I do not see any problems, as long as your batteries are still holding a charge.
Have fun on your trip & Happy Thanksgiving,
Eagle5
Old 10-17-2022, 10:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The generator works but was trying to see if I could do it without running it.

The batteries are pretty new. I am in the process of thinking about how to upgrade to Lithium and solar for doing this more often and working more from the road. But that is another thread...
Old 10-17-2022, 10:17 AM   #4
Site Team

Hi again,
Your Minnie Winnie is designed for what you are doing, and can do so without any issues. I would leave the portable generator at home. The Lithium Battery replacement is complex and costly. I am not planning upon changing my Lead Acid Batteries or my charging system, and I am plenty happy with the stock system. For most folks, it works just fine.
I like turkey! Be sure to get plenty of cranberry sauce too.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 10-17-2022, 10:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

LOL, thanks!

The portable generator will be for my laptop or the tv for football :-)

I am thinking about how I am going to cook my thanksgiving feast in the great outdoors. Maybe I will smoke it prior.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:27 AM   #6
Site Team

... another thought would be to install an inverter (from 12 VDC to 120 VAC.) Mine has that, and it can be used to run TVs & computer chargers.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

hmmm, maybe a thought. How many Watts does your have? And just run it to a couple of dedicated outlets?
Old 10-17-2022, 10:40 AM   #8
Site Team

Mine is a 1,000 watt unit, and it is designed to feed 3 out of 6 outlets. When not running the inverter, all six outlets are driven by shore power or the built-in generator.
For your needs, a portable 400 watt inverter that plugs into a 12 VDC power port would work just fine.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:02 PM   #9
Site Team

There is one thing that you really need to do what you plan on doing... and that's install a shunt battery monitor.

The voltage battery meter in your mothorhome is really kind of no-help in really knowing your batteries state of charge.

If you installed a Victron SmartShunt battery meter it's an easy DIY project and the device costs $130. You simple connect all negative DC load cables to the Load side and then run a new same sized cable from the battery side of the shunt to your main negative battery connection on the battery bank. There are plenty of videos on YouTube about this process.

Then, with the free Victron Connect App on your smartphone you'll be able to see exactly how much charge your batteries have and how much power you're using and how long you can continue at that current rate of usage.

For what you plan, the heater will likely use the most power but if you drive between nightly stops you should be able to charge right back up.

You'll likely be just fine - but you'll have much more complete info and peace of mind if you install the SmartShunt.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, I know I am just stressing myself out
Old 10-17-2022, 12:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
There is one thing that you really need to do what you plan on doing... and that's install a shunt battery monitor.

The voltage battery meter in your mothorhome is really kind of no-help in really knowing your batteries state of charge.

If you installed a Victron SmartShunt battery meter it's an easy DIY project and the device costs $130. You simple connect all negative DC load cables to the Load side and then run a new same sized cable from the battery side of the shunt to your main negative battery connection on the battery bank. There are plenty of videos on YouTube about this process.

Then, with the free Victron Connect App on your smartphone you'll be able to see exactly how much charge your batteries have and how much power you're using and how long you can continue at that current rate of usage.

For what you plan, the heater will likely use the most power but if you drive between nightly stops you should be able to charge right back up.

You'll likely be just fine - but you'll have much more complete info and peace of mind if you install the SmartShunt.
I have and am planning on installing a basic battery monitor shunt. It doesn't have the fancy blue tooth monitoring but I have had it for a year now and I can't return it. So, that will have to do the job.
Old 10-17-2022, 04:24 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashmaster View Post
I have and am planning on installing a basic battery monitor shunt. It doesn't have the fancy blue tooth monitoring but I have had it for a year now and I can't return it. So, that will have to do the job.
That will do the job fine. Being able to check your batteries in bed after a cold night of running the heater is super convenient... but certainly not a necessity.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

One of the most effective (and it's free) things you can do is think "camping", not "RVing" when boondocking. That means turning off non-essential lights, minimizing TV watching, etc.

Hopefully you have a propane stove. Use it to make coffee rather than running an electric coffee maker off an inverter.

I agree with the comments about not rushing into Lithium, or more specifically, Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries.

I know I'm probably in the minority but I pretty much never use an inverter.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:44 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I know I'm probably in the minority but I pretty much never use an inverter.
That’s just it… we all have a different idea about what is enjoyable and what is less so. For instance, we wouldn’t RV without internet, TV and cell service. If that requires specific equipment and expense then so be it.

Not everyone feels the same way and that’s perfectly fine.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Mashmaster,
For this Thanksgiving just check your battery fluids, charge em up and chill. Use your generator if you must. Then please invite me over for Turkey, gravy, dressing, and potatoes. Stressing not required unless you get stranded somewhere.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:11 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone. I am a planner :-) Y'all have helped ease my mind and not think about changing batteries. I can see switching from Marine deep cycle batteries to golf cart batteries in the future from my little bit of research from the comments in the other thread. But I will see how this trip rolls. I tested the generator and will use that if needed.

I will install that battery monitor prior to the trip and check the battery fluids. For tv, I will power that from my jackery which I have a solar panel to charge it. I probably won't watch too much, but I will some. I am thinking about adding an inverter at some time, but not yet.

Propane stove inside and external so I can make coffee.

Thanksgiving, we will be at Fall Creek Falls State park in Tennessee. We will have power/water for Turkey Day :-) The other days are us making our way to Memphis and Nashville. I have never been to Tennessee but it supposed to be beautiful.

@Marine359, you ever been to that state park? You aren't far from there.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:56 AM   #17
Site Team

One thing to know about camping at Thanksgiving… it’s super popular and campgrounds will be packed with families to overflowing. I’m sure you already have reservations everywhere but I thought I’d mention this just in case.

We’re going the day after TG for 4-days to a favorite Texas State Park. We had to get reservations 6-months in advance and even then only a few sites were available for Friday and Saturday.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:39 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
One thing to know about camping at Thanksgiving… it’s super popular and campgrounds will be packed with families to overflowing. I’m sure you already have reservations everywhere but I thought I’d mention this just in case.

We’re going the day after TG for 4-days to a favorite Texas State Park. We had to get reservations 6-months in advance and even then only a few sites were available for Friday and Saturday.
Yep, we have reservations at the park and harvest host locations. The first and last night we are doing Cracker Barrell parking lot.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:10 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

TN thoughts

Quote:

Thanksgiving, we will be at Fall Creek Falls State park in Tennessee. We will have power/water for Turkey Day :-) The other days are us making our way to Memphis and Nashville. I have never been to Tennessee but it supposed to be beautiful.

Tennessee is a beautiful place to visit. Fall Creek Falls is a great place, although I'm assuming the falls (there are 4 of them, I recall) will likely be pretty dry in November.

Smoky Mountains NP isn't too far from there. Haven't been there that late in the year but I can't imagine it would be too crowded other than perhaps a few days right around Thanksgiving.

You mentioned Memphis. If you haven't visited Graceland it's something you might want to do. We weren't huge Elvis fans but enjoyed the visit, glad we did it.

One thing we do in our Class B is use sleeping bags. We just roll them up when we aren't using them. Eliminates dealing with the heater and propane when there is no AC available.

Safe travels!
Old 10-18-2022, 10:58 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

No, haven’t been there yet, but it’s on our list of State Parks we want to visit in Tennessee The other is Cumberland Falls State Park. We’d like to witness the Moon Falls. Waiting on a buddy in Knoxville to get healthy again so our two families can meet there. Have fun on your trip and keep the shiny side up.