Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2022, 02:12 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Boondocking

We use to camp in a Ford E450 Class C. If it is cold at night be sure and shut your AC control dial vent to off upon parking so cold air doesn’t come in through vent at night. Also hang a blanket or piece of vinyl down from the upper bunk closing off the cab interior from the living quarters. Makes a big difference. Enjoy your trip. Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 02:17 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravatoJohn View Post
We use to camp in a Ford E450 Class C. If it is cold at night be sure and shut your AC control dial vent to off upon parking so cold air doesn’t come in through vent at night. Also hang a blanket or piece of vinyl down from the upper bunk closing off the cab interior from the living quarters. Makes a big difference. Enjoy your trip. Travato John
Thanks. Where/what is the AC control dial vent?
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 04:23 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashmaster View Post
Thanks. Where/what is the AC control dial vent?
I've never heard of such a "control dial vent." Not sure what he is referring to. Maybe he means on the dashboard vent of his previous Class C??????
Old 10-23-2022, 09:19 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Regarding inverters: If you boondock "a lot," it's easy to justify a larger inverter. I just do it a bit, and I've found that the only things I really require AC for (when off the grid) is the entertainment center and my computer. My "middle ground" is an 800w hard-wired inverter (very small and simple) feeding the TV/computer full time (dedicated AC lines). It does not tie into my existing AC outlets. I've still got an outlet available for misc use, should I need it.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:27 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I found a 1000Watt inverter on clearance at Camping World and bought it. Looking at it over the weekend, I am trying to figure out how to run the cables from the batteries under the step to a location inside the RV. I am not clear about how to do that.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:35 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Since you need to keep these runs as short as possible, my solution was to drill a hole up from the adjoining basement storage. Not very elegant, but functional. Remember to run that negative through your shunt.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 08:18 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Great topic. You will be just fine. Like in the other post mentioned, think camping. We love boondocking! After several years we splurged to 2 Lithium and 2 solar panels.

For Thanksgiving, consider a just a turkey breast on the bone, bake on top of a dish of stuffing in the gas oven in the RV or on a dutch oven outside. Once you try it you won't go back to the full bird again. Enjoy your trip. A great Thanksgiving memory!
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote