Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-04-2023, 02:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Entended Warranty Question Micro Minni FLX

Hi All! My wife and I just picked up our first RV, a 2108DS, on Friday. Super excited to join the fun. We already spent a night out in it and were really comfortable. Question: The dealer offered us a Cornerstone warranty. It's a LOT of money, but it's also a complex RV (We have the FLX). Does anyone out there have any experience with this warranty? Is it any good?
camperanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 03:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings camperanke,
My dad sold insurance, and told me to only buy insurance for what you cannot afford to replace yourself. An extended warranty is another version of insurance. You have a full year's warrantee from Winnebago. Why don't you wait for eleven months and see how that goes, and then make your decision to buy an extended warranty then.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 12-04-2023, 04:29 PM   #3
Site Team

You'll get lots of opinions on this, it's a popular topic.

Two things:
1. The absolute worst place to buy an Extended Service Contract (it's not a Warranty of any kind) is from the dealer. They buy these super cheap and double, triple or quadruple their cost. You get the quote you balk and they drop the price by $500 to $1000 and you think DEAL, but no you're still over paying. If you decide to buy a Service Contract, but it from someone like Wholesale Warranties or CoachNet.

2. If you're buying a $500,000 diesel motorhome THOSE are complicated and expensive to fix. But a Travel Trailer? Even with the FLX there are not many things on there that are expensive enough to recoup your costs. And, a number of items in your TT are covered for more than one year automatically.

As previously said, it's insurance. The company is betting you have very few expensive claims and they'll make a ton. It's a gamble but guess who wins most of the time? Not you.

I agree with Eagle5 - wait a year you can always buy it later. Though the dealer will tell you not to wait.

Truth is, the dealer may make more money selling your a nearly worthless extended service contract than he made selling you the trailer.

My dealer tried to sell me a $5,000 4-year service contract, I said no and now 6 1/2-years in I haven't come close to spending that $5,000.
Old 12-05-2023, 06:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You'll get lots of opinions on this, it's a popular topic.

Two things:
1. The absolute worst place to buy an Extended Service Contract (it's not a Warranty of any kind) is from the dealer. They buy these super cheap and double, triple or quadruple their cost. You get the quote you balk and they drop the price by $500 to $1000 and you think DEAL, but no you're still over paying. If you decide to buy a Service Contract, but it from someone like Wholesale Warranties or CoachNet.

2. If you're buying a $500,000 diesel motorhome THOSE are complicated and expensive to fix. But a Travel Trailer? Even with the FLX there are not many things on there that are expensive enough to recoup your costs. And, a number of items in your TT are covered for more than one year automatically.

As previously said, it's insurance. The company is betting you have very few expensive claims and they'll make a ton. It's a gamble but guess who wins most of the time? Not you.

I agree with Eagle5 - wait a year you can always buy it later. Though the dealer will tell you not to wait.

Truth is, the dealer may make more money selling your a nearly worthless extended service contract than he made selling you the trailer.

My dealer tried to sell me a $5,000 4-year service contract, I said no and now 6 1/2-years in I haven't come close to spending that $5,000.
That sounds like good info - thanks for the feedback!
Old 12-06-2023, 06:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I also agree with Eagle5 and creativepart. This is not a warranty, it is a legal contract to repair/replace certain OEM items that fail within the contract period.
If you decide to buy, only buy an exclusion policy that says what it will NOT cover, instead of what it will cover; then by default if it is not listed it is covered.

If you later decide to purchase an ESC-extended service contract; read the fine print closely before commiting/signing.
Something else is in this conversation. Along with buying an ESC, purchase the gaskets and seals rider; otherwise if an engine gasket fails which causes engine damage, it is not covered because the engine damage is consequential to the failed gasket/seal.
We purchased an Good Sam ESC on this MH because it had been parked in a barn for 8 years due to owners bad health.
In our case it was a sound decision.
This is no different than buying health insurance, you determine your risk level and contract cost.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 02:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Run away from the dealer plan. Do your own shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperanke View Post
.. The dealer offered us a Cornerstone warranty. ...
The dealer plans are going to be way over priced.
Shop the open market.
We went with Eagle Vision but you should shop them first.

IMHO you must get an exclusionary policy with consequential damage.
Exclusionary means they list what isn't covered if it isn't excluded it is covered.
Consequential means that if a covered item causes something else to be damaged that thing is covered also.

Our plan was a flat single fee of $5900 for a 5 year 40K miles exclusionary, contract that covers everything of importance and has consequential damage.

This is our second contract and the one carveout is that unless your up for fighting tooth and nail they aren't paying 100% of the cost. It turns out to be more like 80% coverage. What they do is not agree to the price the shop is quoting claiming it isn't "customary". You can fight it, or you can try to find a shop that will do it for their price, or you can pay the difference.

For our first contract we preferred to have our favorite shop do the work and pay the difference. We still came out ahead. We has a slide go bad and the inverter go bad and even with the 80% shenanigans we were in the black with the warranty.

If you are real luck you buy the warranty and nothing ever breaks ;-)