Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2022, 09:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Warranty or No Warranty

I have a 2006 Tour 40 KD which I purchased in 2017. I purchased a 4 year cabin only warranty with the RV. I let the warranty expire because the cost for one year additional was going to be the same price as the 4 year warranty. Does anyone still get these extended warranties for older RV's? If so any recommendations on company?

Thanks...
Tigrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I wouldn't buy one.

It's really not a warranty but an insurance policy and there are plenty of threads on the pros and cons. The odds are definitely stacked against the purchaser and, from what I've read, there's usually a big fight over whether something is covered or not. For example, if you have water damage from a roof leak, you're going to have a fight as to whether or not the roof was maintained properly. I don't think I've read a single thread on extended warranties that characterized them in a positive light.

A lot also depends on your personal financial situation. If you can afford to pay for a repair here and there, and especially if you're a DIYer, definitely skip it.

Think about why we get all these spam calls wanting to talk us into an extended warranty for our cars. It's not because they're a good deal for us.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:37 PM   #3
Site Team

We didn't buy one and now after 5-years we've saved over $3000 versus buying the Warranty. But, it's not really a warranty. It's mechanical break down insurance.

We were a bit worried about not getting one because we were new to owning a motorhome and believed all the horror stories about expensive break downs. This just hasn't been the case.

We've spent the majority of funds on upgrades and improvements, not break downs.

What would have been "covered break downs" doesn't add up to $2000 over 5 years.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

As the world is built, insurance is most often better for the folks who have the least slack in their budget and that puts it out of reach for many of the folks who do need it the most!
We rarely buy extended warranty on any items we buy---once we reached the point that we could always say we would have the money if it was needed for repairs.

My last warrenty repairs on a car turned out to be one Ford garages could not fix and they wound up blamed the starting problems on " it must be in the wiring" done by hitch installers, even after that wiring was disconnected! Their first answer at three different dealers was to change the battery (which is not covered) for more than $100 for a $50 battery as well as $100 diagnostics fee!

My experience says it is not worth the grief of trying to deal with their excuses. I sold the car becasue they could not/would not fix it!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Bought one when we got coach for 5 years. Have used it several times for slide work , but bills have not come to what we paid. Wanted to protect myself for the worst that could happen ,and so far so good. If I could do it again , I would put that money into an account for repairs.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:25 PM   #6
Darcy D/Virtual Voice Coa

I purchased a 4 year extended warranty on a 2008 Itasca Suncruiser in 2017. The warranty expired in 2021. I took the coach in just before it expired and had them go through it to see if there was any repairs needed that would be covered under the warranty.
Long story short...I got a new front HWH jack replaced. New Hot water tank electric element replaced. A new generator engine (had a cracked casing). Ice maker replaced, and the basement A/C serviced. The total for everything was about $10K. . .I paid about $1500.
I know, I got lucky. But I am glad we had it and that most everything was approved. It does depend greatly on what company you get the coverage from