Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2022, 06:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Shower drain 2021 Minnie Winnie 22M

I noticed our shower is draining more slowly lately. There’s that typical cover with holes over top of the drain. I’d like to remove that so I can run a drain snake down there, but I’m not sure if it comes off. I tried gently pulling up on it, but it seems to be on the drain kind of tight. They usually just kind of lay there and come off easily.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:51 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

If it is a round cover, try putting a pair of needle nose pliers into the drain holes and making a slight turn either clockwise or counter clockwise. Don't try too hard.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

First, determine if the shower drain has a P-trap or Hepvo valve, a Hepvo valve will be ruined with a drain snake or zip cleaner. It is becoming more common in the RV industry when lack of space prevents using the cheaper P-trap.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 11:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi Ron,
On Page 2 of your plumbing diagram, detail BB shows that the shower does indeed have a trap. I wonder what is in there? Perhaps you could flush it out with the pressure of a garden hose?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 09-25-2022, 12:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for looking that up for me Eagle. Wow, there’s not much space below there! I’ll try to remove that cover and use your garden hose suggestion.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 04:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

When dealing with that short run before turning, there may be a real problem getting a hose stuck in far enough to really get much pressure on any clog. One of the reallifesavertools, Ihave used is calleda "Drain King".
If not familiar, this is a link to the type gizmo and I might recommend getting one as it makes life much better!

https://www.amazon.com/Drain-King-Un.../dp/B0000CBIWC

One trick to using one if the drain is too short to get enough in to expand and compress enough to keep water flowing back out is to add a short piece of PVC pipe just on the outside of the drain.
The combo with the amount of the tool you can get into the drain is often enough to get a good seal so that all the watergoes forwarddown the drain asit pullses. The pulses ofwater will often break even the worst clogs. Showers are likely to just be hair and soap scum, so not terrible.

An alternate which might be enough considering the short distance is a Zip-it tool:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/DRAIN-CLE...IP-IT/21799377

Really nice for hair clogs that are often right in the trap or the drain itself as it allows cleaning through the opening without removing any parts on some. Nice small size and flexible to go most any place.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I forgot to add; do not pour drain cleaner into the drain. Having to disassemble a P-trap containing drain cleaner is dangerous and seriously burns your skin.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower