Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-10-2023, 04:24 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Electric brake wire connectors

What are the wire connectors called in the photo I attached below (dangling)? Obviously I have a bit of an issue going on here! Is there a better connector to use, or perhaps a better way to zip tie things together so this won't happen again?

I get under the trailer pretty often, so I am certain this breakage is pretty recent. Yet another thing to add to the "frequent inspection list".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230910_171504.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	187239  
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 02:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'd use crimp butt connectors and put those brake wires in split sleeving rather than go back the same with connectors as before. Wires would be better protected from critters and harm from something catching them. Hopefully if something did catch them again the wires would pull apart at the butt connectors, similarly to how they pulled part at the old connectors, and be a less complex repair than if they broke right at the wheels or right where the wires exit the harness on the frame.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 02:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I would call those Scotchlock but Scotchlock also makes a lot of different shaped crimp connectors. Idea is that they are quick to stick a couple wires in and crimp th elid down.
So that also brings a question to consider?
Have they broken loose from other wires somewhere out of sight OR were they just extra option wires which wer insulated with the simple Scothclock added?

Any chance of the same on the other wheel to compare and sort out where they go ?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 05:14 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I finally replaced these in prep for my next trip and the brakes are now working again. They are indeed called "Scotchlok" by 3M and easy to find if you search for IDC 314.

All 4 brakes look identical, but for some odd reason the drivers side brake wires were broken right at the connector. Well, it seemed all the wire was there, anyway. The rear wheel was missing both pigtail connectors (both wires disconnected), and the front wheel had one connector remaining, but I found it also didn't work. It's a puzzle why they were pulled out. The street side is fine. I don't think I've driven over anything that might grab them, but I suppose that must be what happened.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 06:28 AM   #5
Micro Minnie 2108DS

When new, the Scotchlok connectors are filled with what apears to be dielectric grease, shielding the connection from the elements. I suspect the wire broke due to constant vibration. These connections should be cable-tied to some stationary component to prevent this type of failure. when practical, I solder and shrink wrap my connections, however I have used butt connectors, but shrink wrap them too.
DEWEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake