Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

anyone know of a source for tes-295 atf in 1 qt size ??

just need enuf to have for top off & filter change, 1 qt will do, $45 for gal is a bit much to carry maybe for YEARS !!

zero results from google so far.

travel as light as possible is the MOTTO !

TIA
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:01 PM   #2
Site Team

It appears that TES-295 and it's approved Mobile 1 and Castrol versions appear to be sold in Gallon and larger sizes. It's also available in 6 gal packs and 55 gal drums.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:12 PM   #3

$12 on Amazon with free shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Triax-Global-...80&sr=8-2&th=1

...But if you are are quart low, you have to ask why? Normally, you would never loose fluid. And it's really hard to know if you levels are right using a 5' dip stick. So you need to take multiple measurements at cold and hot fluid temperatures; and you need research how to check your fluid level using your Allison Flat Key Pad.

...And maybe you should consider doing a complete fluids change? And since you can get 5 gallons on Amazon for $135 it really makes sense to do a full fluid change/Recharge even if you don't want to replace your tranny filters, but I recommend that too after 50,000 miles.

https://www.amazon.com/Triax-Global-...80&sr=8-2&th=1

* Most people don't think about servicing their transmission, in their car or RV, but this is huge mistake.

* Transmission fluid brakes down more so due to mileage (related to heat over time) vs. age.

* Replacing the filter is a good idea, but you can save money IMO and only do this every 75,000 miles if you use the TES295 certified fluids. "TranSynd" is a brand made by Castrol Oil to Allision specs... and companies pay Allison a fee to be considered "Approved" by Allison. Consequently, when you see TES295 "compliance" you have to trust that companies testing methodology and results.

* I have been using Amsoil "Torque Drive" for 10 years and it has been working very well for me. In addition, my transmission temperatures are lower by 5F-10F over TranSynd TES295 approved fluids. So I'm sold on Amsoil in my Allision 3000MH.

* Personally, I would rather change my tranny fluid twice as often -- at the same price -- using this cheaper priced TES295 vs. going twice the miles with "TranSynd".

Here's a link to videos on how to change your own Allison 3000MH tranny filters and fluid using a 12V pump: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-a-360684.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 How To Check Transmission Fluid Level.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	178196  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Just did a refill & 2nd new external filter in a yr in my 2100mh - 10.5 qt refill - used all of my tes-295 fluid.

That is why i need 1 qt ONLY in case i need a small amt for adj & for future filter changes - have not driven yet so hard to tell by just sitting and idle testing level - monday will know better !

I did see this on amazon but it does NOT say it is tes-295 approved NOR does allison list it as approved vendor, just 'compatible' - also 'compatible' to every other atf on face of earth too.

Triax NOR Amsoil is listed on allison website as 'approved' tes-295 supplier which have all been TESTED to be fully tes-295 compliant - so if NOT listed it is NOT tes-295 'approved' - sure it may be technically equal or even superior but not TESTED by allison to be EQUAL & approved.

https://allisontransmission.com/part...highway-fluids

as we know, anyone can make any claims of this or that BUT is the science there and is it really TRUTH & will they replace trans if used w/ REAL tes-295 - doubt it ?

but why no 1 qt sizes ?? Baffling !
Old 04-02-2021, 09:40 PM   #5

Personally, I'm not a fan of mixing brands when it can be avoided.

Plus you can't get 6-8 quarts out of your transmission anyway, so every fluid change is really more of a 75% "recharge." That said, if you are short by 1 quart, and you have a 12V pump, I would just take a 10 micron gas filter, you can buy at Walmart in the garden section, and reuse some of your old stuff vs. buying some other brand of TES295.

Then I would filter another quart of the old tranny fluid to use for all sorts of other things. This tranny fluid makes a very good cutting oil.

===

If you have a 12V pump then another project that does not get enough attention, IMO, is that you can use the filter to clean out your HWH 7-qt reservoir.

Here's a link to a $20, 12V pump...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X33FC1V...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

..If you change your HWH fluid, you can use any Dexron III (not the high mileage stuff) (aka TES395 if you get the good stuff). And the cheaper the better if you ask me.

Note: Despite what you may read about how HWH fluid never wears out, that's does not mean you should not change the fluid to remove debris inside the tank that accumulates over 10+ years! (Or you can filter the old stuff, but I prefer new when we are only talking $25 for a full fluid change.)

This tip comes from another forum member. Thank you Kevin!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Filter Old Fluid (10 Micron Common Gas Type).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	178197  
Old 04-02-2021, 10:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

once again NOT 1qt short but for RESERVE and for future filter changes, and i have already recycled old atf.

how do you get 12v from battery to your pump ?? my pump has a 1' lead so does not go 20' to battery !!

TIA
Old 04-02-2021, 11:43 PM   #7

I just pull my tow car up next to the engine. Then connect the pump to the battery and I added extra tubing on the "Fluid-out" line. This is no problem since the fluid leaving the pump is "pushed" by the pump.

However, I found this approach to be a bit "clunky" ...and iFYI, it helps if you use masking tape to hold the tube inside the filler neck/tube so your hands are free for other things.

...Next time I change Tranny fluids or hydraulic fluids to my steering and fan clutch reservoir, I plan to use a spare 7-ping tow connector and run wires running to the inside my RV engine bay.

...Or perhaps you can tap into your engine bay light if you have one?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7-wire Connector Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	178201  
Old 04-06-2021, 11:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

good idea, was thinking of using a cheap 110v ext cord and add clips and end but i have a unused 6 pin connector so maybe that for the pump end ?

so far pump is unused but will try on oil change soon, that too is almost as big of PIA refill as was the atf refill.

ps: bought 1 qt of triax global atf - but will only use in emergency.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

BTW, if you use a trailer/tow connector be aware you might draw quite a bit of power and it might be too much for your lighting system in RV, it could blow fuses.

It is best to maybe use the connector but wire to a stronger 12v source, such as in gen or auto-elec-switch, just not the RV lights used for tow vehicle.

No rear lights is not a good thing - fuse popping is not a convenient thing - both together is a Bad Bad Bad thing !!
Old 04-11-2021, 04:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSimon View Post
just need enuf to have for top off & filter change, 1 qt will do, $45 for gal is a bit much to carry maybe for YEARS !!

zero results from google so far.

travel as light as possible is the MOTTO !

TIA
Don't forget to send a sample of fluid to Blackstone Labs and have it tested. They have a good data file on RV transmissions of all types. Cheap, 25.00.
Cajunmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Allison recommends changing out TES295 ATF every 48 months or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first. With TES389 it is every 24 months or after 2000 hours of operation, whichever comes first.

The labor cost is the same so I prefer the TES295 with the longer service interval. I have had to go to the local Allison repair shop to get the better TES295 fluid. Important with my Allison transmission was to be sure that the magnetic washer between the external filter and the transmisison housing was moved from the old filter and put on the new filter.

New vehicles are often low with their ATF as the dealer people often will not put in the 1/2 quart to get to 100% full and so it is not at all unusual to be down 1/2 quart when driving off the lot.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote