Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

ATF leaking from compartment, think I know what it is?

Gents,
Well, we've had our new to us '04 Horizon about 3 weeks now and at present, am doing a little fixing here, adjustment there, replacement of this and that (House battery, almost all interior light bulbs with LEDs) and mounting all the do-dads, etc.

I've been noticing a few drips on the concrete just below the compartment door, aft of the left rear duals. It's ATF. It took me a while to actually figure things out. I'm usually not that slow on the uptake. But, what it does is, leak from a piece of metal just above a switch that says light in that compartment. It's the compartment that houses the powered 50 amp electric reel and my Dimensions inverter/charger/transfer switch.

Well, since there's no transmission in that area, I figure I got one answer and one answer only. It's got to be the "ram" that extends the bedroom slide in and out. Now, no matter how I turn my fat head, or stand upside down, I can't see the end of the ram and or the root of the leak. I've got to figure out how I can get into that area that houses the ram and confirm that, that's the source of my leak.

Anyone had anything like that before. I've replaced seal kits on my jacking rams (leveling jacks) before and that was a piece of cake. But, this may be an entirely different animal. Although, I have no idea how to get to the ram at this time. Probably have to jack hammer the bedroom.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Scott - Your Horizon is a step up from my Journey, but our floorplans are identical so I would assume they use the same slide extension system. Mine leaked in that area and luckily, while it was still under warranty. Since I was going to be in their area, I took it to HWH. They removed the "ram" (I think they call it a cylinder) and rebuilt it. The tech that worked on it said they had a few leak problems in that '04-'05 time frame. He did the whole job from outside, but I didn't see how he did it.

Give HWH a call. They are very helpful and easy to work with. Will probably sell you a rebuild kit and may be able to tell you how to get it out. 800-321-3494
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Ours might be different than yours, but I think our bedroom (wardrobe) slide has 4 actuating cylinders, one on each corner. If it happens to be a hose leak, make sure the replacement hose is an exactly the same size (diameter & length).

We had a hose burst and after talking with HWH, we had it repaired in Wildwood, FL The mechanic (John) told me that some lines can be spliced and some lines need to be replaced. This time we got lucky and he was able to splice it.

After watching him do the repair, I was glad I didn't attempt it myself.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Well Guys,
Thanks for the tips. I surely appreciate them. I certainly don't mind taking on new tasks and learning new techniques so, I might just have to give it a try. I'll give HWH a call and see what's up. Thanks again.
Scott
Old 06-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Your leak may simply be a loose fitting like it was on my coach. It drove me crazy because the oil that pooled on the "subfloor" would eventually drip on to the hot exhaust pipe causing a "hot metal" odor.

The fitting that leaked was on the head of the slide ram, just below my breaker panels.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Scott - Just in case you didn't get an owner's manual, here's a link to download it. While you're on their web site, look around - they have a ton of info there...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Your leak may simply be a loose fitting like it was on my coach. It drove me crazy because the oil that pooled on the "subfloor" would eventually drip on to the hot exhaust pipe causing a "hot metal" odor.

The fitting that leaked was on the head of the slide ram, just below my breaker panels.
ernieh,
Roger that Sir. Boy, would that be cool, to be able to simply tighten a fitting. But, knowing my luck, I'll have to pull the engine, remove the roof, get new tires, and pull the carpet in the living room just to fix a ram leak in the bedroom. Thanks for your tip.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsm View Post
Scott - Just in case you didn't get an owner's manual, here's a link to download it. While you're on their web site, look around - they have a ton of info there...
tomsm,
I did get an Owners Manual. Along with a full library of other information. The PO had it pretty well organized with triplicate copies of everything. I'll definitely look into that to see how it can help. Thanks.
Scott