Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2021, 07:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tranny fluid fill (change) on a class-A

On my '97 Adventurer the transmission dipstick/filler tube is very close to the top of the engine compartment, back a foot or so from the hood opening and nearly horizontal. How do you go about refilling the tranny for a fluid & filter change?
Old 04-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I take it to my Mercedes-Benz dealer for a transmission service, and then carefully sit in the waiting room, until they tell me it's done. I then pay them, and drive home.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #3

To answer your question, I bought a 12V scavenge pump on Amazon for $22 and transferred the TES295 Fluid (Not your typical Dexron-III) to the small filler tube. It worked great.

Be sure to only use TES295 fluid. I also use Amzoil Torque Drive for 10 years and this stuff works great too, but any TES295 will be fine. (Personally, I think they charge way too much for this stuff, but all tranny fluid sales are a racket!)

This is the best deal you will find IMO:

https://www.amazon.com/Triax-Global-...omotive&sr=1-1

Scavenge Pump:

https://www.amazon.com/WAMTHUS-Extra..._t1_B07J4S39TM

* Then I used the pump to suck out all the HWH fluid in the 7-qt reservoir and replenished it with Dexron-III. (Not the high mileage stuff.)

* If you have an Allison 3000MH tranny you will want to watch these video on how to replace the filters:

Note: Allison 3000MH come with a shallow and deep pan. You need to know which you have and be sure to order the right filter.

Also, changing filters is easy. It just seems a little daunting the first time. And be sure you torque the bolts so you don't over tighten them! ...Go with the lower setting which is 38 Ft-lbs. (Spec calls for 38-45 Ft-Lbs.) This is because the transmission cast is aluminum. And be sure to put a mark on the transmission plate before you remove it so you can re-assemble easily. I.e., the 5-bolt pattern can be hard to realign and it only goes on one way!

Use your Allison shift pad to check for proper level before you drain. You need to do this after the tranny temperature exceeds 150F so you will need to drive your coach first. Then measure the amount of fluid you remove and put back the same amount. I.e., the fluid chart above is only a reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Allison Fluid Chart.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	178181   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 How To Check Transmission Fluid Level.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	178182  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Transynd and Filters Service Schedule.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	178183  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:05 PM   #4

I forgot to add...

Yes, it is a very good idea to change your transmission fluid every 25,000 miles without a filter change. And then change the filter at 50,000 miles with your next fluid change. (That's 8-10 years of driving for most of us!)

I know Allison markets this stuff as lasting the life of your coach, but what they really mean is that it will last the life of an average owner, which is less than 5-years. So don't believe them!

Trust me. You will be better off replenishing your fluid, and mixing the 20% of the old with 80% of the new fluid, as this will help dissipate heat, and heat is what will kill your transmission over time.

You should not use anything, but TES295 in an Allison. And this may include some manufactures who have certified their fluids are TES295 compliant.

Note: Compliant means they have not paid Allison to certify their specifications, but I have been using Amsoil for 10yrs and they are not "Allison Certified." But if you only want to trust the "TransSend" brand made by Castroil you can pay $45-$55/gal and with a 4" Allison pan you will need 6 gallons to do a refill and filter fluid change. That's ~$300 in fluids, which is why you will be billed $500-$600 for a tranny fluid change at a shop... and they will probably use their brand of TES295. (It's all about the profit baby!)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid