Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-16-2023, 02:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Schwintech slide question

My trailer came equipped with a Schwintech slideout. The manual can be found at https://support.lci1.com/documents/i...-owners-manual.

As I understand it, there is an electric overide to get the slide in if the controls fail. If that fails, the slide motors can be disconnected. How would the slide move with the motors disconnected?

The same situation would exist if a motor(s) failed or the 12vdc feed was lost.

Edit: We have had several RVs with slides and there was always a manual crank to move it when the drive was disconnected. This one does not have that.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

In the manual, page 71.

"Motor Disconnection Procedure
Locate the Slide Controller in your unit unplug both
motors from the circuit board to release the motor
brake Physically push or pull the slideout into the
desired position. Be aware this may require multiple
people. It is important the slideout closes as evenly
as possible. Once the slide is in the desired position,
replug both motors to apply the motor brake for
travel"
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 05:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
In the manual, page 71.

"Motor Disconnection Procedure
Locate the Slide Controller in your unit unplug both
motors from the circuit board to release the motor
brake Physically push or pull the slideout into the
desired position. Be aware this may require multiple
people. It is important the slideout closes as evenly
as possible. Once the slide is in the desired position,
replug both motors to apply the motor brake for
travel"
Thank you. That is more information than is contained on the Lippert site.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Important part: "It is important the slideout closes as evenly
as possible"

Both sides need to be pushed at the same time and if one of the pushers is weak it can get catawampus and bind.

Read all that manual. It gives you the error codes on the blinking lights. If you have 12V then use the override but be careful and watch the slide coming or going t make sure it is coming or going straight. If it is a bad motor it could torque and break something. Those little motors are extremely powerful.

Especially read about holding the extend/retract switch for a period of time after the slide stops. i use the 5 seconds or more rule. It allows the motors to sync.

Do not lubricate the worm rail or floating rail. If you have a rail that is like a serpent it is a true Schwintek. If it is straight lines like rack & pinion it is a Power Gear rail. It is said the it is better to have the Power Gear floating rail system.
Old 06-16-2023, 11:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

https://youtu.be/_-vaxVCo3J4
Easier to move if you remove the motors.
Or so I hear. No personal experience.
-steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 04:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
... Do not lubricate the worm rail or floating rail. If you have a rail that is like a serpent it is a true Schwintek. If it is straight lines like rack & pinion it is a Power Gear rail. It is said the it is better to have the Power Gear floating rail system.
Thanks again.

It is a true Schwinteck and that's why I'm preparing for problems. If there are problems I will try the side-to-side method using the 12vdc first.

Our last RV was a Jayco Class C and it was equipped with the Power Gear. It had easy access for motor disconnect and the shaft that moved the slide was easily turned with an open-end wrench.

Edit: Question: If I need to move the slide manually, would unplugging the AC and disconnecting the battery accomplish the same thing as disconnecting the slide motor leads?
Old 06-17-2023, 04:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoSteve View Post
https://youtu.be/_-vaxVCo3J4
Easier to move if you remove the motors.
Or so I hear. No personal experience.
-steve
I hope I never have to deal with that, but if it becomes necessary I will update forum members.

In the mean time, I would appreciate hearing from those that do have experience.
Old 06-17-2023, 08:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myakka View Post
Thanks again.

It is a true Schwinteck and that's why I'm preparing for problems. If there are problems I will try the side-to-side method using the 12vdc first.

Our last RV was a Jayco Class C and it was equipped with the Power Gear. It had easy access for motor disconnect and the shaft that moved the slide was easily turned with an open-end wrench.

Edit: Question: If I need to move the slide manually, would unplugging the AC and disconnecting the battery accomplish the same thing as disconnecting the slide motor leads?

I really don't know. You could try that. Unplug and unhook battery then see if your wife and a couple of her friends can push the slide in. Don't strain yourself.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I really don't know. You could try that. Unplug and unhook battery then see if your wife and a couple of her friends can push the slide in. Don't strain yourself.
You can read just about anything on the internet, but that's great advice. I'll assign myself as the director.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I dont want to bust your bubble, but everything that I have read says that after disconnecting the motor cables, you still need to remove the motors. Those are gearhead motors that dont like to be moving unless driven from the motor armature. That is also why they provide breaking to prevent the slides from moving as long as they are in position, even when they are unpowered....unless the main drive gear is actually broken. There are videos on line about this process that explains how to remove the motor retention screw so the motors can be lifted out of position.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 03:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
I dont want to bust your bubble, but everything that I have read says that after disconnecting the motor cables, you still need to remove the motors. Those are gearhead motors that dont like to be moving unless driven from the motor armature. That is also why they provide breaking to prevent the slides from moving as long as they are in position, even when they are unpowered....unless the main drive gear is actually broken. There are videos on line about this process that explains how to remove the motor retention screw so the motors can be lifted out of position.
Please Ford1, where I'm concerned, don't ever worry about that. I'm on WOOC to gather and share useful information. Yours certainly qualifies as that. I would rather bust the bubble than the slide.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Thinking out loud: The motor moves from DC voltage. Push the switch one way or the other to move the slide. All slide motors have a brake to keep the slide in position. My thinking out loud is that if power is removed the motor will not have the voltage to keep the slide in position. Now, with that said, if the battery is disconnected is there enough parasitic voltage to keep the brake engaged.

By doing what the manual said, it may be that removing the power in the way they describe release the brake mechanism to allow free play.

Consider an RV with your type configuration going down the highway. The owner does not what his battery connected so he throws the disconnect switch. Will the slide move? On the other hand, if the battery cable is disconnected is there any parasitic drain?

Most definitely a conundrum.

The worse that you can get from trying your suggestion of battery disconnect is that it doesn't work. No harm trying.
Old 06-18-2023, 12:46 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

A lot of what Wayne suggests is true and it could be possible to work in such a manner if designed to do so. I have had four rigs with Schwintek systems and have had two of them malfunction. I saw the videos explaining the procedures. Even on the smaller slide it took three strong bodies to slowly move the slide back in, after the motors were removed. I now carry a spare motor with me just because of that experience. Believe me, those are high torque reduction gearmotors that, when in operational position, do not permit the slides to move unless the gearhead or the track is broken. They are only powered to move the slides in or out. The slide controller only sends power to those motors on command to open or close the slide. There is no power when 'at rest'. Here is another reason. The slides operate off the coach batteries, not the chassis battery. If the motors continuously needed power you would not be able to drive your rig with a dead coach battery, for fear of your slide falling out. Check your manuals, that is not the case.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 01:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
...The worse that you can get from trying your suggestion of battery disconnect is that it doesn't work. No harm trying.
It's a small slide and it might work, but I like Ford1's suggestion to lift the motor. I'll get familiar with the system and be ready for it if/when it happens. I'm fairly handy and carrying a spare motor makes good sense. That way the neighbors won't have to hear my full vocabulary. It's a shame their reputation is so poor.

Edit: A manual disconnect of the drive mechanism and a locking pin to keep the slide from moving while disconnected seems like a good idea to me.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:27 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

You can also use 2 x 4's as slide locks on the inside. There have been posts about it on this forum.

With that newer a model you probably already have slide locks. Look for a switch on your control panel or look for mechanical slide locks to put in place to keep the slide from going out.
Old 06-26-2023, 05:12 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Use clamps to hold the slide in.

The motor brake partially holds the top of the slide, while a long shaft holds the bottom. To secure the slide during travel, use reversible clamps on the inside positioned about 1/3 of the way up from the floor.

This will firmly press the slide against the wall and prevent the bottom from moving. Additionally, it will reduce stress on the gears, rack, and shaft caused by the forces generated during movement.

In my opinion (IMHO), this solution is effective.
Old 06-26-2023, 05:50 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
The motor brake partially holds the top of the slide, while a long shaft holds the bottom. To secure the slide during travel, use reversible clamps on the inside positioned about 1/3 of the way up from the floor. ...
Thank you for your response. ... not sure what you mean by "reversible clamps".
Old 06-26-2023, 04:34 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

My 2021 Micro Minnie has a power switch where the slide out switch is, should I leave that switch in the on position while towing?
guzz3601 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 05:56 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzz3601 View Post
My 2021 Micro Minnie has a power switch where the slide out switch is, should I leave that switch in the on position while towing?
I wouldn't, and I very much doubt you'll get that advice from Lippert either. The manual refers to "transit bars (if so equipped)" and my 2019 2108DS has no such bars.

The motors are incredibly hard to turn (let's go so far as to say "impossible") by pushing on the slide, whether you are trying to push the slide in after a failure, or if the slide is trying to push itself out while you are traveling. Most of the discussion here is about how you travel home after you've physically disconnected the motor and gear from the tracks after a failure. With the motors removed you can push in the slide (probably takes 2 people), and therefore the slide can also work its way out during travel. So there are suggestions of wedging a 2x4 inside, or using quick grip clamps in expanding mode (if you carry such things).

I worry about the day I am faced with trying to disconnect those motors which are way up high...but I'm not worried about the slide slipping out when everything is normal. But maybe that's just me?
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 08:03 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Thank for the advice.
guzz3601 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide