Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hydraulic leak
I have a hose leaking for the rear slide of my 2002 Adventure. It seems like an easy job, but I can't find were the hose connects to the cylinder. My motorhome has basement air. The hose connects to the bottom of the cylinder, but because of the basement air, I can't see the connection. Any ideas? Do I have to drop the basement air? Thanks, Bob.

BTW... I have been reading these post for a few months and enjoy the info.

28' enclosed car trailer
DragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hydraulic leak
I have a hose leaking for the rear slide of my 2002 Adventure. It seems like an easy job, but I can't find were the hose connects to the cylinder. My motorhome has basement air. The hose connects to the bottom of the cylinder, but because of the basement air, I can't see the connection. Any ideas? Do I have to drop the basement air? Thanks, Bob.

BTW... I have been reading these post for a few months and enjoy the info.

28' enclosed car trailer
Old 04-24-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

First you may want to contact HWH because they had some bad hose fittings for that year. They replaced mine.

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DragRacer:
Hydraulic leak

BTW... I have been reading these post for a few months and enjoy the info. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 02 Adventurer with the same problem. I had the AC worked on once and they saw a leak and replaceed the ram. Now I see a few drops leaking on top of the AC and down the side and I suspect its the hose. I can't see any way to get to it either. Right now I'm holding off hoping for the best. Try this link.......http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/...2/m/4161049843
Old 04-24-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I had my rear slide leak fixed at HWH. They had to go undere the bed and than tilt the slide out ward at the top. Under the bed it a HYD ram where the hose connects.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

HWH just replaced hydraulic hoses that leaked on the big slide and bdrm slide of my 2002 Horizon. There is a problem with some of the high pressure hoses on our model year. Great company to deal with. Email em.
Richard
Old 04-25-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I called the Winnebago service line. They told me to set the slide out about 1' from all the way out. Unbolt the slide out and let it tilt out. Then I should be able to see the lines on the bottom of the ram. They told me it takes two people to pull the slide back in to place. It seems like it would be easer to trim the floor that is under the ram and reroute the hoses.

28' enclosed car trailer
Old 04-26-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DragRacer:
I called the Winnebago service line. They told me to set the slide out about 1' from all the way out. Unbolt the slide out and let it tilt out. Then I should be able to see the lines on the bottom of the ram. They told me it takes two people to pull the slide back in to place. It seems like it would be easer to trim the floor that is under the ram and reroute the hoses. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like a tricky operaton. I'm gonna have to think about that before I try it.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I dropped off the unit at the dealer finally to check the leaks. They confirm that both hoses going to the bedroom slide were shot and there's a recall on them. Too bad when they replaced the ram 3 years ago the hoses weren't leaking then!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fossilhog:
I dropped off the unit at the dealer finally to check the leaks. They confirm that both hoses going to the bedroom slide were shot and there's a recall on them. Too bad when they replaced the ram 3 years ago the hoses weren't leaking then! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim,

This is one of the things that really bugs me. The recall and service bulletin came out on this in 2004 as far as I understand so the dealer should have already know about the recall when he replaced the ram 3 years ago. Why didn't he replace the hoses then. HWH has been providing the parts and five hours of labor to the dealers to replace these hoses.

Anways the dealer should be getting the free parts and HWH should be paying for the bulk of the labor this time.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fossilhog:
I dropped off the unit at the dealer finally to check the leaks. They confirm that both hoses going to the bedroom slide were shot and there's a recall on them. Too bad when they replaced the ram 3 years ago the hoses weren't leaking then![
Tim,

This is one of the things that really bugs me. The recall and service bulletin came out on this in 2004 as far as I understand so the dealer should have already know about the recall when he replaced the ram 3 years ago. Why didn't he replace the hoses then. HWH has been providing the parts and five hours of labor to the dealers to replace these hoses.

Anways the dealer should be getting the free parts and HWH should be paying for the bulk of the labor this time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right Neil, but this doesn't surprise me at all. The quality of work at the dealer was shabby to begin with when I first got the rig so I had been avoiding them at all costs. I had been going to an independent repair shop the last few years and they've been good but a little far away. Camping World bought out my local dealer so I figured since I had their extended warranty (Freedom Care) and 10 minutes away I'd give them another shot. Also figuring it's a national chain, they'd have better resources. Only thing now is they tell me they sometime wait 3 weeks for parts. It's a crap shoot with these places no matter where you go. Oh and when I bought the rig in Dec of 04, first thing was replacing the hoses to the living room slide, saw that right away.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Hey Tim,
Sounds like our 2002 Adventurer's were built the same time. First out living room slide started leaking, then the bedroom. The living room was fixed at no cost by my dealer about a year ago. This past November they fixed the bed room slide at no cost again. I must be lucky, I have a great dealer, General RV. They have done a great job. I do most of my own repairs because I don't like taking things in. With HWH paying the bill, I took it in.

28' enclosed car trailer
Old 02-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

DragRacer,
Follow the link below to see how to have HWH fix your leak under warranty. The thread will give you a link for the service bulletin that explains which hoses are faulty. Call HWH and explain that you have the bad hoses and they should cover the costs of the repairs. I was very impressed at HWH's attitude.
Thanks again to the guys on this forum that pointed this issue out to me. TD

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/38510467341
Old 02-15-2008, 04:17 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

TigeDuner,
HWH did pay for both repairs, living room and bed room. Great company.. They know they produced a bad hose and are taking care of it.
Bob

28' enclosed car trailer
Old 02-15-2008, 04:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Glad to hear it. Any other problems you are having?
I really do like our 2002 Adventurer. This has been our only major issue since we bought the unit last December.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:16 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hey Tim,
Sounds like our 2002 Adventurer's were built the same time. First out living room slide started leaking, then the bedroom. The living room was fixed at no cost by my dealer about a year ago. This past November they fixed the bed room slide at no cost again. I must be lucky, I have a great dealer, General RV. They have done a great job. I do most of my own repairs because I don't like taking things in. With HWH paying the bill, I took it in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm like you, do all my repairs too but I didn't want to fuss with the slide. I only took it back to the dealer becasue I had the X warranty but then they called me and said its on a recall for the hoses. Now I sit and wait till they get it done. I've read a few other websites that are very critical of this dealer since its been absorbed by Camping World.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

TigeDuner,
We have had ours for about a year and a half. I had a great salesmen that pointed me to the Winnebago, and happy he did. I have had 2 minor problems, that I think are common. We had a window seal leak on the right passenger window. There was a fog between the two glass panes. I did not fix it the right way, but is fine. I drilled 3 1/16 inch holes between the glass panes. This let the fog dry up. I also have a squeak in the front TV. It drives me nuts. I have tried to fix it, but it still squeaks. I will find it in the spring. We camp some with it, but use it just about every weekend to tow the race car. My wife and kids enjoy having a clean bathroom, and sleeping at the track during two day races. Much nicer then our old dually..
Bob

28' enclosed car trailer
Old 02-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Thats interesting about your window leak. I think the left front angular window in front of the drivers door has the same issue. It seems dirty inside and I can't clean it. I wonder if there is a warranty on the glass unit. I suppose I should just relace it and be done with it.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TigeDuner:
Thats interesting about your window leak. I think the left front angular window in front of the drivers door has the same issue. It seems dirty inside and I can't clean it. I wonder if there is a warranty on the glass unit. I suppose I should just relace it and be done with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Atwoods, who made the windows, responce to this problem was to sell off the window division. We will have to see what the new management does about this.

If it is still under warranty get it done as one can be looking at close to a $1000 for some of the replacements.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Just got the unit back new hoses and rear ram. They said they had to drop the A/C unit and pull oout the bed, cost all covered by HWH. Funny thing, just 2 days ago I shot a letter off to Camping World Corporate expressing my concern that a nationwide corporation that's buying out dealerships has to make me wait 3-4 weeks for parts and has no clout with the suppliers.....coincidence?