Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2020, 02:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide Out Park Brake Light On. Slide Won't Open

Hello Everyone,
After scouring all 105 threads on this thread page, I was unable to find a similar issue to what i'm having. Here is what i got and what is going on. 08 Winnebago Destination 39W DP. Cummins diesel with air brakes. Kwikee slide controls. With my engine idling, I level out the motorhome. I then unlock the key switch on the main control panel to next open up the slides. I move to back bedroom to push a motor operated on its own switch slide unlock button. I then push out, and the passenger wall slide opens up no problem. I then move back to main control panel to next unlock with its own button the dinette/couch slide. What feels like 80% into pushing the unlock latch i get a red solid light on the kwikee slide control in/out module. I continue to fully unlock the locking mechanism. I verified that the lock closed by looking ontop of slide and saw no pertrusions of the lock. I also took the black box apart hiding the locking motor up in one of the cabinets below the mechanism. The slide in/out control module still has a constant red park brake light on and no movement from the slide. I have switched control modules in/out from the othe slide. When i plug different module in, i instantly get the red park brake light on. I have cycle house batteries on/off. Checked the air brake switch at the pull switch up front by drivers panel. Opened up electric compartment in the back rear to look for any sort of blinking light on the slide controller main brain/module. Still no luck, it being Saturday, i plan on calling winnebago and freightliner on monday, but i know this page is full of experts who pry know how to fix my problem. Thanks in advance.
HoppinAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You might try cycling the house battery switch for a longer time ( an hour or two).....giving it time to reboot the whole system.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Back in my battery bay, i only have a huge toggle switch to cycle the chassis batteries. I looked and did not see a house battery shut off switch. When chassis battery is off, the red air brake light remains lit, on the slide out control. I looked in the owners manual and did not say where the master house switch is. I may just unhook the cables from the batteries. 29 degrees where im currently at
Old 01-26-2020, 08:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Slide lock system

Although I don't have a diesel pusher unit, my slide system sound the same. I worked on mine for hours. I eventuly ran a separate ground wire from the touch panel for that slide to the ground on the brain, and it started working again. Dealer told me it would be over a month before they could look at it. Oh, also the ground wire was white color. The majority of the wires were yellow.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank You. Will give that a try and cross my fingers. Was starting to lean towards possible air leak or frozen air line die to the cold temperatures we are currently in.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I think the ground wire from either the emergency brake or the park position was lost , maybe. Your air brake system might be different. My slide is the large 24 foot one and when I had to bring it in to leave the campground, I had to use jumper leads to run the 2 slide motors , one at a time for several inches from motor to motor until I got it in. It was only sticking out 22" but still to much to drive.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Good info. From what i have been researching, the air brake switch provides a common or ground to the 12v slide interlock system. Also read that a guy uses a battery to bring slides in from the motor location. Thank god its the 18ft slide and not the 31ft wall slide. It is closed at the moment so life could be way worse. Appreciate the advice and will follow up when i can get it fixed by myself or a dealer. Been researching oasis freightliner dealers in my area (omaha,ne) just hate yo pay $165 an hour for a tech thats getting paid $20 an hour. Feels like highway robbery to me. Being in hvac and electricity, i feel if i can aquire the right wiring schematics, i will be able to track it down and fix it myself. Thanks again
Old 01-26-2020, 05:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

On my 09 Journey, the slide master control power switch often doesn't allow the slides to open. Found if I toggle it a couple of time, it will power the slides and all is well. Yours could be similar or there could be multiple other causes unfortunately. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I also bought a emergency battery from ebay for about 25.00 , and it's about the size of a cell phone. It started a dead battery on my unit, which was caused by the compartment lights left on. I also used it to run the big slide in and out, as it took me awhile to figure the problem out.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Can you tell me morw about wiring the battery to the motors? Do I flip polarity to suck it back in. More info would be greatly appreciated. Thank ou
Old 01-27-2020, 04:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Ended up getting lucky and fixed it. Their is a bunch of grounds at the passenger side rear of the motorhome, tucked on the chassis frame. I took off all the grounds and cleaned the surface area with emory cloth. After doing that, i went and tested the slides and both are now working properly. Thanks to everyone who helped me out.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Winnebago provided full -and I mean really full - pdf documentation on its coaches up to about 2012. You should be able to download all of it on the Winn Ind. Site. If it is not there, call Winn and ask how you can get it. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, light, slide, slide out