Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

The larger of our bedroom slides leans in at the top when the slide is fully extended. A significant amount - nearly two inches! I'm not in a position, geographically, to get it to factory service, and I have less faith in my dealer's service than I do in my own work, so this needs to be a DYI repair.
Could the slide cover/awning be pulling back on the top and not allowing full travel? The bottom appears to extend fully.
Any previous experiences and opinions will be greatly appreciated. The moho is an 06 Itasca Horizon which we bought second hand.
mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The larger of our bedroom slides leans in at the top when the slide is fully extended. A significant amount - nearly two inches! I'm not in a position, geographically, to get it to factory service, and I have less faith in my dealer's service than I do in my own work, so this needs to be a DYI repair.
Could the slide cover/awning be pulling back on the top and not allowing full travel? The bottom appears to extend fully.
Any previous experiences and opinions will be greatly appreciated. The moho is an 06 Itasca Horizon which we bought second hand.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Does the slide retract to fit snugly and evenly against the side wall? I have noticed that when ours is extended, it is not out a uniform distance comparing top to bottom. I don't believe this is unusual or a problem.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

John,
Yes, when the slides are fully retracted, they fit nicely. But - with the slide extended fully at the bottom,but not at the top, the seals on most of each side are not making contact and are prone to leakeage.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

First I would get to the slide topper and check to make sure the mechanism hasnt locked up at a certain point which could possibly keep the top from extending fully. Look at and feel the material to see if its super taunt or not, that would be an easy check.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

mainiac

I doubt the slide topper is strong enough to prevent the slide from moving all the way out. It is a pretty strong spring, but I would think the slide would rip it if it were stopping before full extension. But, the suggestion to test it still isn't a bad one. Get on a ladder and see if you can push the topper down against the slide top, or see if you can pull it by hand. I have pulled mine a bit by hand to test it.

I recommend you call Winnebago Owner Relations at (800) 537-1885 and talk to them about your slide. You will need your coach s/n when you call. They can likely help you understand what is happening, and whether or not there is something you could do to fix it. Downloading info from the HWH website on your particular slide model would likely be helpful also.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I agree with Paul. The slide topper should not be a factor ,,but I would check it anyway..
Call Winnie, find another dealer.
Sometimes there are independent mechanics in the area.
Adjusting slides is not for the average lay person...Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mainiac:
John,
Yes, when the slides are fully retracted, they fit nicely. But - with the slide extended fully at the bottom,but not at the top, the seals on most of each side are not making contact and are prone to leakeage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Something doesn't sound right. The seals should be in firm contact with the slide. Paul is right - the slide has enough power to probably rip the topper off the roof.

I would take some pictures and send them to Winnie Owner Relations. It would good for us to see them also so we know what it looks like.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Let us know what the problem was and the "fix". Sounds like one of those things that may show up again with someone else.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for suggestions. It'l be a few days before I have a chance to look further at the problem, but I'll give you results if and when I have some! I've been busy polishing the brass on one of the Model T's to put it in our Blueberry Festival Parade tomorrow! Hey,, what do you expect from a town in the western mountains of Maine with no industry left and a population of 4000?? (Sure is a great place to live, though!)
Thanks again. Dennis
Old 08-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

You asked me to keep you informed on my progress with this slide problem. I did call winnebago service and they made a couple of logical suggestions:
1.) With the slide withdrawn, look with a flashlight over the top to be sure there are no foreign obstacles such as a piece of trim board, etc. that would prevent the top from extending all the way. (negative in ours)
2.) In some cases, the slide cylinder pushes out too far, causing the top to rock back into the room. His suggestion to check for this problem was to extend it fully, then jog the switch back just a little to see if it allowed the top to move out thereby equalizing the top and bottom extension. (again - not the case with our Horizon)
I also climbed up to check the slide awning system as some of you suggested, and found this not to be restricting movement. With moderate hand pressure, the awning will roll out further.
So - I,m still searching. I think it most likely is a slide adjustment problem. I'd like to attempt the adjustment myself if I could access a shop manual on same. I know, some of you think I'm nuts, but after 30 years of tinkering on all kinds of equipment in our construction business, I just gotta try! And besides that, our number plate (MAINIAC) is to remove any doubt of that suspicion!!
Thanks again, Dennis