Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2022, 01:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

RV covers

I'm thinking about getting a cover to protect my Micro Minnie. Two questions, please:
1. Is this advisable? Some say they cause mold and mildew.
2. Assuming it is good idea, what brands are quality?
Thank you! This forum has been so helpful to this newbie RVer.
Gary Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

This is just my opinion. WBGO towables have rubber roofs. The roof membrane is good at protecting against most elements, except rubber doesn’t last as long with constant exposure to extreme heat and UV. So, if you live in the desert, you will help the roof by shading it. In normal climatic environments, a cover could do more harm than good. Ever see a full-timer putting on a cover?
Old 01-28-2022, 06:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you, Sir. And thank you for serving our country. My son was a Marine Captain, and I have great respect for the Marines.
Gary Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:43 AM   #4
Site Team

Hi Gary,
I believe the triple-covering method I use works just fine, however, I do need to replace my main cover on a 3½-year cycle, and replace the plastic roof-only cover about three times per year. The wheel covers seem to be holding up well.
Eagle5
Old 01-28-2022, 05:22 PM   #5
Site Team

If you look around most RV storage lots you’re likely to see just about all RVs and TTs uncovered. It’s kind of a given that new owners feel the need to get a cover. But the truth is most folks just don’t need them. If you’ve got roof leaks, then yeah get a cover.

Many find the cover does do damage to the RV OR it doesn’t even make it through one season on the RV without tearing to shreds.

There’s no right answer here. So proceed as you see fit.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I'd say it depends where you live. I live in South Florida and the sun is brutal. No way I'd leave my camper to the elements down here so I cover it constantly. It's a high-quality cover from Classic Accessories and has venting. The humidity down here is as bad as it gets and it's never been an issue in my RV with the cover due to the venting. I also keep a couple of humidity tubs inside the camper as well.

With the brutal UV rays down here my covers last about 11-12 months before needing to be replaced. I purposely bought one with a 4-year warranty and have replaced them as needed under warranty. If the sun can damage my cover that fast, imagine what it'd do to the materials of my roof or my paint and decals. Because of the cover people often mistake my 7 year old camper for new.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:04 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimes View Post
I'd say it depends where you live..
Agree with this including usage, time of year and personal circumstances.

I live in a wooded area and although I don't get hammered by UV, the pollen during the spring along with periodic rains will leave a formidable crust in every nook and cranny. It is a PITA to clean and can only be removed with extensive power washing.

With that, I'll cover it twice a year for 2-3 months at a time when I don't have any trips planned. The cover blends in nicely with the natural surroundings (instead of the stark white). It takes about 45 minutes (I'll take my time) and for me it's worth it.

On another note, I park my rig underneath some large trees and had an instance last year with a large branch crashing on the roof. Although it didn't compromise the rubber, it left a pretty good divot. I now cover the plastic vents and AC cover with bubble wrap.

Friendly advice: Whether you're cleaning, repairing or installing a cover, any type of roof activity is a safety hazard and IMO, should be avoided as often as possible. This is especially true if you're physically limited, live alone and/or live a distance away from a hospital.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

X2, RNR. We just bought an adventurer 35f. Currently in South Florida until March. When we get home to SC, we will definitely cover to protect against sap, pollen and bird droppings. Unless we can find inside storage.
It's easy to see the difference between an older coach that has been under cover vs. one that has not.....
202235f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I will add there are some down-sides to the cover. For one, it takes a bit of work to get it on. In my case the cover is for a 30' tt, and it's a big ole bundle of material that I have to climb a ladder to get on the roof. My camper has no ladder so I had to get a big 15' standing ladder that I have to drag out from behind the shed, stand up, then climb to the top of the camper with the cover in hand. Once on the roof it's just a matter of un-furling it in the right direction and lowering it over the corners. I do put on gutter spout balls first, then the cover. Someone on the ground helping is a plus, but not always necessary. Taking off is easier, I usually can just get out an 8' ladder and go to each corner and pull the cover off the trailer.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The only reason why we cover ours is to reduce the cementing of bird crap, fir pollen and wind blown tire dust and dirt. And equally important keeping the inevitable layer of dirt and roof mosses from forming on the compressed slide out rubbers while the slide is in so it is a little easier to clean and apply a silicone spray to before we recommission the trailer for the road.
The atco cover we use is designed so that you can enter the trailer and we run an electric heater in it a few times during the wet season of Victoria BC while the trailer is parked.

So far it has not been shredded with the wind because we are careful to make sure the straps are used.
The cover should last about 5 or six years depending on how extreme the winds get. So far touch wood it has not torn in two seasons of use during very wet and windy winters.
It has withstood snow load, ice and a record rain fall this year.

Mind you I keep my eye on it and check it regularly for signs of tears starting. So far no patches have been needed and the trailer is bone dry inside.

I would never leave the cover on during a humid stretch of the late spring however because by that time the trailer will be on the road and doing some very happy camping .... touch wood.

We always take the trailer for a quick wash if it starts to look like the city busses in winter so the gel coat or whatever type of finish is used on Winnie Drops is in decent shape and can easily be waxed and protected from high UV during the summer.

So in our case using a cover seems to protect the fiberglass better than leaving it all up to nature and we have no humidity issues with using one at all.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:00 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

My own experience is that the cover we have has done little if anything to prolong the life of our rig (or myself for that matter). I spent about$ 600 thinking I was doing the right thing, only to find that the cover trapped moisture for extended periods between the cover and skin of the RV. I know that dirt and grit that has accumulated over time on the cover and has done no good for the paint or roof on the rig. There was no benefit as a result.

The other major concerns I have are that as the dirt and grit it accumulates is difficult if not impossible to remove from the cover. Rolling, folding and storing the monster is a real pain. The application of it has already destroyed 1 antennae on the roof.

Now my biggest fear is the act of getting it up on the rig and extended its full dimension. I do not enjoy climbing to the top of the rig to get it properly deployed. As I age it becomes more and more difficult and dangerous to get on top and get the thing on and set properly.

Now the cover has spent the last 3 years rolled up in a knot in the garage and will likely remain there from now on.

Wish now I had saved the money and never bought it. Just my experience
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

RV Cover

I have used covers periodically over the years depending where I was living. In Montana, it was in the barn! LOL. TN & IL covered. Now here in SWFL, covered periodically depending on usage? Hint. Know those very large trash cans that the companies use a truck to pick up and dump hydraulically? Well I have one I bought from a trash company. When I take my cover off, using the side straps I pull the sides up towards the middle; I'm on the roof, wife is handing me the straps with a garden rake. Once I have the sides all folded into the middle, I go to the rear where she is waiting on the ground with the large trash container. and I start feeding her the cover and she weaves it back and forth into the container stopping periodically to use the rake to stamp the cover down in the container. I have downsized now to a 35', so it isn't as bad as it was with the 40'which just "barely fit into the trash container.
Anyway, hopes this helps. Semper Fi; Jim
SgtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We feel most people just get tired of putting them on and off. But I feel they defiantly help with sun/UV protection. BUT, do not put them on loose so they rub your finish in strong winds! Use the straps to keep the cover tight. To make it easier, i raise and lower it like stage curtains. We ordered a heavy expensive one and a lighter that breathes. We use the lighter one! 3 years old now. Works great.
in NE Florida
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211023_120453.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	360.2 KB
ID:	181888  
RiverGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:19 PM   #14
Site Team

Very clever! Yes, the best way is to NOT carry the entire cover up & down the rear ladder.
Eagle5
Old 02-03-2022, 07:32 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I live at 8000 in the Rockies in a pine/spruce forest. Without a cover my 2018 Winnie Drop 170 TT would turn completely yellow from the pollen, brown from the pine needles, white from the bird poop and, having viewed the neighbors Tt’s w/o covers, the colored appliqués would fade from Uv’s. A bad humidity day here is 70-80% but mostly in the 40’s so mold not a problem Cover works fine, fairly easy to put on with an 8’ step ladder. Go small and you’re ok.
1Albert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:29 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Now on my third camper and wouldn't think about putting them thru our pretty tough winters here in Maine without a cover. So guess it depends where you live. Just picked up my new 2022 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2225RL. Bought a new RV Masking cover for it and couldn't be happier. Extremely well made, fits like a glove and currently standing up to our Maine winter just fine. Would definitely recommend.
ranger1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:14 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I used to have a 32’ Motorhome and currently have 2225RL like ranger. Stored in a semi industrial area in SoCal and keep it covered as the sun really beats down it and wears the exterior down. We also have days with heavy dew and rarely have rain. This makes for black streaks as water drips down the side that are a pain to get rid of. All the plastics on top become brittle quicker. I also bought a 32 gallon trash can from HomeDepot. When I remove the cover I slide it down the front to my DW and she guides it into the can. When I cover she throws me a line and I pull it up.
Old 02-03-2022, 02:06 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokaj View Post
I used to have a 32’ Motorhome and currently have 2225RL like ranger. Stored in a semi industrial area in SoCal and keep it covered as the sun really beats down it and wears the exterior down. We also have days with heavy dew and rarely have rain. This makes for black streaks as water drips down the side that are a pain to get rid of. All the plastics on top become brittle quicker. I also bought a 32 gallon trash can from HomeDepot. When I remove the cover I slide it down the front to my DW and she guides it into the can. When I cover she throws me a line and I pull it up.
Way to go sir, with the help of my bride, it's a snap!
SgtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 05:18 PM   #19
Wheelcrazy

If stored where it is exposed to the sun I am in favor of a cover. I have seen a lot of rvs that have sustained serious uv sun damage. The damage goes beyond exterior cosmetic issues, roof seams can open due to expansion and contraction causing water damage, rubber seals and moldings deteriorate, upholstery fabrics can fade. I recommend a lightweight breathable cover preferably with vents and snug fitting. Many come with adjustable straps so you can snug it up to minimize flapping from the wind. I install mine by pulling one end up the ladder with me at the rear of the Rv, once on the roof I pull the rest of the cover up using someone on the ground to help alleviate snags etc. with a 2”x2”x8’ pole. Yes it is somewhat of a PITA but with 2 of us it only takes about 15 minutes. The key is to have a helper on the ground untangling the cover and helping to push it up to you. It’s my opinion that the cost of a cover will be more than offset by reduced maintenance and increased resale value.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:46 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

I have a cover that fits a 2019 2108DS if anyone wants it. Just cover the shipping for me . I got it partly because a neighbor down the road had their TT covered and I didn't do much researching. Mine is in a spot where nothing falls on it, and I'm north so the UV isn't so bad. So I decided to avoid the hassle with the cover so it sits in its original box in the garage. Sorry about the shameless plug, but I figure free AND my opinion is something. Maybe .
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote