Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2022, 11:15 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Rubber Roof

Good Day,

I had a friend look at a Micro Minnie 2106FBS trailer for me and he noticed the change in color on the rubber roof edge above above the drip channel. He felt it was from being in the heat and sun extensively. Would the black be the membrane which is under the white surface. Therefore the white top rubber has gone.

This would be on the door side side forward of the awning.

I have not seen it personally as it is out of town. Obviously a full viewing of the roof is needed.

Any feedback, what's the fix.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7015.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	182033  
Bcborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:52 AM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

On mine, under the rubber roof there is no black, just plywood.
In the photo, it looks like the roof is combing out of its channel, and the white may be the roof surface powder?
Old 02-18-2022, 05:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It's hard to tell what's going on from this photo. The right hand part looks like it could be spray paint, in which case the question would be "why?". There also appears to be a large metal staple or something similar near the left edge of the large black area, also indicative of a problem. I'm not sure what's happening on the left hand side, the photo just isn't clear enough. In any case, this isn't normal. Being out in the sun won't turn it black, nor should it eat away at an entire layer. I can't say for sure but I think rubber roofs are white, or nearly white all the way through.

Generally a roof that's been out and unattended to will get chalky and have scattered small dark spots of mold and dirt, not large areas.

Check out this video for an idea of what "normal dirty" looks like:

It could be mold, which can be cleaned with an appropriate cleaner. Have you asked the owner what it is?

Anything is repairable but I wouldn't buy a trailer with a roof problem, especially with the roof coming loose at the edges. You just don't know how much water might have gotten in and what hidden damage there might be.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:36 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
It's hard to tell what's going on from this photo. The right hand part looks like it could be spray paint, in which case the question would be "why?". There also appears to be a large metal staple or something similar near the left edge of the large black area, also indicative of a problem. I'm not sure what's happening on the left hand side, the photo just isn't clear enough. In any case, this isn't normal. Being out in the sun won't turn it black, nor should it eat away at an entire layer. I can't say for sure but I think rubber roofs are white, or nearly white all the way through.

Generally a roof that's been out and unattended to will get chalky and have scattered small dark spots of mold and dirt, not large areas.

Check out this video for an idea of what "normal dirty" looks like:

It could be mold, which can be cleaned with an appropriate cleaner. Have you asked the owner what it is?

Anything is repairable but I wouldn't buy a trailer with a roof problem, especially with the roof coming loose at the edges. You just don't know how much water might have gotten in and what hidden damage there might be.
You just reminded me about a video I saw from a dealer who was talking about older rubber roof membranes vs. newer ones. The older style, I think he said circa 2015? Did have a black backing. My 2018 rubber material doesn’t not.

Tags
roof