Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2023, 08:25 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Propane Regulator 2017 Micro Minnie 2106FBS

I put in a tee off one tank for high pressure to run my Coleman camp stove.

The regulator has auto change over.

When the propane tank with the high pressure tee goes empty, the regulator switches over to the other tank and keeps the low pressure operating.

I thought the fuel from the full tank would still flow across the regulator to keep the high pressure tee operating.

Reason is, the coleman stove still worked a while.

Is the Coleman stove just pulling some fuel from the empty tank (switched over) till completely empty.

If the regulator doesn't let fuel from the full tank backflow to the high pressure tee, is their a regulator the has a high pressure take off that operates as an automatic.

If the lever on the regulator is in the center position, is this off or equal draw from both tanks.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2023, 06:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Lyle I don't think a regulator is built to back flow like that. Why not simply put a high pressure Tee on both tanks and use the one that still has high pressure propane? Or remove the regulator from the grill and use the low pressure tap on the trailer. That is what I did and it works fine.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 11:12 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
Lyle I don't think a regulator is built to back flow like that. Why not simply put a high pressure Tee on both tanks and use the one that still has high pressure propane? Or remove the regulator from the grill and use the low pressure tap on the trailer. That is what I did and it works fine.
Have to look to see if I can remove the reg on my Coleman Guide Series stove and install a low pressure male fitting. Thought I read, Coleman Camp stoves wont run on low pressure is you can find a way to remove regulator. Anyone running a Coleman Campstove on rv low pressure system????

Yes, a 2nd high pressure take off will work as will moving the tank with fuel to the side with the inline high pressure setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230803_101013.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	186861  
Old 08-17-2023, 03:49 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Emailed Coleman and they told me the Coleman Stoves are high pressure units and will not work on an RV low pressure system.

I now run my Fastway regulator in the center position and draw down both tanks equally so as to feed the high pressure plumbing I installed.

Knowing this I'm now considering plumbing a permanent line from my bass setup (mount it with the Low Pressure line) to a frame mounted 1lb bottle connection somewhere near the rear the step.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	plumbing.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	187000  
Old 08-18-2023, 07:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Bcborn, I have never heard of a grill where the regulator could not be removed and a little plumbing done to accept the regulated low pressure. Are you saying that when the regulator on your two tanks is in the center position, high pressure propane from the full tank flows to the empty tank? Have you started with an empty tank and it now works with a centered regulator?
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 09:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Have to look to see if I can remove the reg on my Coleman Guide Series stove and install a low pressure male fitting. Thought I read, Coleman Camp stoves wont run on low pressure is you can find a way to remove regulator. Anyone running a Coleman Campstove on rv low pressure system????

I was taking a look at what might be involved in this switch but the info I'm finding doesn't look like one that we could use for propane as it takes liquid gas of two forms?
Is this actually the stove you are wanting to use or is there confusion on names?
https://www.coleman.com/grills-stove...tionPoint=Show

Can you sort out which stove you have so we can take a better look?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 01:07 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Bcborn, I have never heard of a grill where the regulator could not be removed and a little plumbing done to accept the regulated low pressure. Attached are pictures of the regulator attachment. The dia of the tube (thread) looks to be 1/4 OD. Unsure how its assembled to the hose as did not want to destroy anything and then have nothing. Other picture is of the brass fitting that threads into the Camp Stove Itself. Are you saying that when the regulator on your two tanks is in the center position, high pressure propane from the full tank flows to the empty tank? as you stated likely not. By using the regulator in the center position draws down both tanks equally and in theory would take longer for the high pressure take off to run out of fuel. Have you started with an empty tank and it now works with a centered regulator?
Richard the Coleman Camp Stove is Model 5428. This 3 burner model has been discontinued by Coleman.

Coleman stated the stove is high pressure and I'm wondering If it was fed with low pressure (.4psi) to the 15,000BTU or 10,000BTU burners they would produce little BTU's if any.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5428 Guide Series.jpg
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	187019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Regulator Attachment.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	187020  

Name:	Stove Attachment.jpg
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	187021  
Old 08-18-2023, 01:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thought that was likely to be some difference in what I found. Will do a little more looking with the new info! Thanks.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Found this info on that stove an dmay explain some.
It looks like the normal setup is to connect it directly to the high pressure coming out of a small tank and then the reg on the stove cuts that down to the lower pressure needed for the stove.
The RV comes out of the tank to a reg which cuts the pressure down to low for use.
That brings two thoughts. Is the low pressure for the RV items, stove, furnace, frig, etc the same as this stove needs?
One could look at where he might find that low pressure plumbing that goes back near where you want the stove and tee off that line to the stove and take the reg off the stove, going directly into the supply to the burners?
But thenb one could not use the stove at other times when you might want it at home, etc. without re building it with the reg they provide..

Second might seem better to me and loo for a place that is still high pressure at a point BEFORE the RV reg. Tie in there with hgh pressure run to where you want it for the stove?
Considering it might be awkward/difficult to run that line, would it work to add a fitting near the front and use flexible hose to get to various places at or along the side of the RV to use the stove?

We had somewhat the same, with having a grill we wanted to use but not wanting to do the added plumbing. Always looking for easy, I went with just getting a small tank and using it only for the grill.
In some ways it was more to fill the compartments, but it also worked to be handy in some ways.
When not always having the same space, we sometimes had to put the grill in different places and one of those was often just on the top of concrete tables at parks, etc.
We did not always use the stove with the RV but at times were prone to just loading the stove and small tank in the car for picnics, etc.

Nothing ever perfect but sometimes we had to give up something to get better for some other use! We had to carry a seperate second tank in the RV but found we could use it more ways! At some point the grill at home stopped and we then started using the single grill on the patio or loaded on the RV.
My wife liked knowing more what to expect as she only had one grill to "learn" how it acted!
Old 08-18-2023, 04:44 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
That brings two thoughts. Is the low pressure for the RV items, stove, furnace, frig, etc the same as this stove needs?
If I'm correct the RV runs at .4psi with 11" wc. The camp stove runs at a higher psi and 11"wc. Unfortunately I do not know the psi for the Coleman Stove and have not been able to find it. Maybe some one here can provide that info.

2nd, I'm unsure what that thread size is that attaches the copper pipe to regulator on the Coleman Stove. My guess is it not pipe thread as the tubing is only .310" OD. Something unique to Coleman I'm thinking.

I have started to run a permanent line from the tanks along the frame (next to low pressure line) to the rear of the step. Just need to secure the shutoff and 1 lb male bottle adapter fitting to the frame for the Coleman Regulator to attach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fixed High Pressure Line.jpg
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	187023  
Old 08-18-2023, 05:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Sometimes it is the decisions that slow us up the most! Good to make some progrees after a bunch of study!
sounds good!
Gas fittings seem to have a field of their own at times. I finally had to cough up $75 for a whole new reg for a Champion portable generator as the small fitting that broke was not to be found, just the whole unit!

Tags
propane