Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-20-2023, 04:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

High Winds and Towing Micro Minnie 2225RL

I used to have a 32 foot class C motorhome and have driven through some windy areas to the point where my steering wheel was 90 degrees just to keep a straight line (sounds crazy but it was safe). Now that I have a 2225RL rated at 6000 GVWR, what wind speed is unsafe for towing? I tow with a 21' GMC Sierra 1500 w/ a Blue Ox WDH. I generally drive less than 65 mph and obviously when the weather is not nice I slow down. Not trolling or anything, I just don't have any experience towing in high winds and given the Micros tend to be light in weight and slightly higher ground clearance. I live in So Cal so we have Santa Ana winds periodically.

thanks for the discussion.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:47 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

There's a lot of factors that would determine what is or what isn't safe. Not only are MM's light, but they stand tall. Only you can make that decision, but also have to think of other drivers when on the road.

I lived in So Cal most of my life and personally, I would never tow a trailer with an extreme Santa Ana condition, especially in the passes. It's not the wind as much as the gusts.

If you decide to travel in those conditions and are going in the same direction, you're going to save a lot of gas!
Old 08-21-2023, 01:19 PM   #3
Lauri & Joe

After a year of towing my MM 2108 with a MB diesel SUV that was great for towing in good conditions but uncomfortable in any windy situation we jumped to an F250 to increase our tow vehicle length & improved cargo capacity. (We had to tow without water to keep cargo capacity of the MB safe.) We haven't been in the normal desert winds yet, but head out next week for our first trip with the truck.

I can't give you a wind speed that isn't safe. Last trip towards Phoenix we passed a section of hwy with 10 semis overturned in earlier gust winds. (We weren't towing) So, the key is probably to use your common sense over how much control you feel you have in the conditions then consider things getting just a bit worse & decide for yourself.

I live in SoCal, too. Crossing the desert to somewhere east means some level of wind. It's always a factor.
ZottHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 02:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

FWIW the threshold that most semi drivers use is 40 MPH wind speed. Of course the difference between loaded and unloaded, and center of gravity of the load, can be huge.
Old 08-21-2023, 02:25 PM   #5
Lauri & Joe

Thanks

That's helpful to know.
ZottHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 08:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Sierra has a long enough wheelbase that you should have less concern about crosswinds than most other 1/2 tons towing a TT with WDH/sway control. The Micro Minnie is less susceptible to wind due to its low profile and reduced frontal area, than most other travel trailers. At 128” my wheelbase is far less than Sierra. I use a WDH with sway control, and feel comfortable in crosswinds up to about 30 mph, and higher headwinds. When you see tractor/trailers swaying enough to cross over the lane dividers, it’s time for you to get off the road. For me that’s crosswinds more than 30 mph. I slow down to about 40mph, put on my flashers, and make my way to the next exit. Do not pull over to the shoulder, as that could expose you to a collision. I know the wind speed of discomfort because there are lighted signs in New Mexico along I-40 that display crosswind speed in the high wind areas. I’ve seen RVs flipped on their side on that section of road. Best to get to an exit and wait it out. Maybe overnight at Walmart or truck stop.
Old 08-21-2023, 09:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the replies. It gives me kind of an idea of what to expect.

Tags
towing, tow