Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2023, 10:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hail Proof Exhaust Fan vent covers?

I just had hail take out the vent exhaust fan covers. Anybody have any experience with covers that might withstand hail?

I have a micro minnie 2022 2306bhs
vascout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 11:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

There used to be metal but they are not what I would want. They still dent if the hail is large enough, don't let any light in when closed and just are not what I would go with considering the rest of the Rv is likely to be pretty dented up if the hail is of a size to break the normal types.

One of the funnies that folks never think too much about is how we get bigger hailstones as we get more hot air to pass them up and down in the cloud to get bigger before falling out! One of the most expensive hail storms in history was when it caught a bunch of B-47 outside in Amarillo, Tx. Several were totally destroyed with holes through the wings!

That leaves me thinking there really isn't an RV cover that we can say will be safe from the big one!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 05:08 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I lost my bathroom vent cover to hail, I replaced it and the installed a Maxxair cover for it. The two MagicFan covers are polycarbonate and didn't break, but I think I'm going to put the Maxxair on those too anyway.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The Maxxair cover has repelled everything. There is a Maxxfan model that fits under the cover in case you later to decide to install Maxxfan
Old 08-16-2023, 07:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had the same thing happen to my fifth wheel in a Colorado RV storage lot. I ordered acrylic covers from Amazon, installed them myself, and had the RV go through two more hail storms without damage.
Old 08-18-2023, 04:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the replies
Old 08-18-2023, 04:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Do you know which ones you bought?

Tags
fan, vent, roof