Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-03-2021, 06:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2018 Propane no heat - Had Regulator Replaced Too - Not it!

Good evening,
We purchased a 2018 View back in November. Took it out the following weekend. No hot water to the Truma heater. Also, when you turned the furnace on, the propane to the stove would reduce significantly. We took it to repair shop. They replaced the regulator.
Park it in our driveway and had it plugged in Heat worked. For 2 months! Switching between electric and propane. no problem. Last night we decide we are going to test everything in our driveway to be sure everything is working okay. No heat. Propane on stove is flickering every time the heat tries to kick on.
Filled propane today just to be sure. Still no heat on propane. What gives? What are we missing? My husband is losing his mind! And we have a $100k unit that we can't drive anywhere. We won't mention the slide that comes and goes out crooked.

Any suggestions on what we are doing wrong? We've owned a view before (2009), so its not like we are not familiar with rvs!
shelleyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not being certain which 2018 View (There are six different!) but they seem to have a bit different layout for propane than I expected as there are TWO different regulators shown????

Maybe give the parts catalog here a close look for your exact model RV:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Possible not getting the correct one changed without knowing there might be a second one?

Odd enough to surprise me!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reg.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	177127  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

My apologies. I should have clarified. It is a 2018 Winnebago View 24V. Verified that the correct regulator was installed.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Is there something else that it could be not associated with the regulator?
Old 02-03-2021, 09:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Ok, got a different look but finding much the same but I may not have been clear enough in what I was suggesting. Much depends on how alert and well trained the repair person might have been as this seems to be a new and different reg setup than I am used to seeing.

I did not mean to ask if the correct reg replacement was used but was asking if it is possible that the wrong reg was replaced if the repair person was not aware there was a second reg involved!

By what I normally expect, there are "never" two regs in the propane line as it leaves the pressure too low. This is often the case if we have a single reg at the RV tank and then use a reg at a grill which also reduces the pressure so that the grill often will burn but not well enough.

With the grill situation, the first reg takes high pressure from the tank and reduces it to low pressure but if we then add a second reg which reduces the low pressure again, it is too low to work.

There are other things which could be a problem like dirt or corrosion partly stopping the flow at some specific point like the orifice of the gas burner at the furnace, but with the somewhat odd setup using two regs, I was thinking it possible that they had changed one reg when it might actually be the other reg giving trouble.

No way to say which might be true without an actual pressure test being done at various points along the line, but I thought I might try to make more clear what I had meant to say. This communications stuff is harder than it looks at times!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2reg.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	177128  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:20 AM   #6

This video will explain how you want to balance the WC so you can turn on both your stove and your furnace… by adjusting the propane tank regulator. (Not the regulator at the stove.)

W.C. Test Video (Thank you Darin for sharing your expertise with us!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=SD1qcH_hNYY

Of course, who owns a Water Column? ...So maybe this is what your tech needs to do. Did he?

Also, since gas follows the formula PV=nRT, and since V, n, and R are all constants... they can be dropped from the equation leaving P = T, meaning Pressure is dependent on Temperature.

So as temperature changes so does the pressure in your tank, which is maybe why one day your gas ignited in one appliance, but not another; and then on another day you can light both.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Water Column (WC) Test Picture.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	177464  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, heat, propane, replace