Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-17-2023, 08:14 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Wish I'd read more threads on this forum including this one before buying my 2108DS. I opted for two AGM batteries with 220ah because the dealership wanted $1k/each for Lithium Ion batteries. Sounds like I would have been better off going with a couple LiFePO4 batteries. Rats.
IdahoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 09:27 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Costly error. However, your AGMs should get the job done as long as you have enough solar. If you have a 12v compressor fridge, you’ll be fine with at least 300w on the roof connected to mppt controller.
Old 12-17-2023, 10:03 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoHunter View Post
Wish I'd read more threads on this forum including this one before buying my 2108DS. I opted for two AGM batteries with 220ah because the dealership wanted $1k/each for Lithium Ion batteries. Sounds like I would have been better off going with a couple LiFePO4 batteries. Rats.
You could buy one or two new LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries and sell your brand new AGMs on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace and you'd probably get 80% of their cost back. I put 2-200ah LFPs on my then 5 year old motorhome - I sold the 4-five year old AGMs for $200. There was a lot of interest on Craigslist.

A good... no great, lesson to learn don't use or trust the dealer. I'll guess that you know more about your new TT than the dealer. A big mistake people make is thinking that the dealer is well trained, well equipped and super connected to Winnebago. That's just not the case.

When something breaks or doesn't work you think "it's like a new car you take it to the dealer." NO! It's nothing like a new car and the dealer is only concerned with sales and what can make them the most money. Warranty work doesn't make them much money so they do all they can to discourage owners bringing in their TTs for such work.

The more you read this and IRV2.com the more you'll learn about everything in your TT and how to best enjoy it.
Old 12-17-2023, 02:55 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Costly error. However, your AGMs should get the job done as long as you have enough solar. If you have a 12v compressor fridge, you’ll be fine with at least 300w on the roof connected to mppt controller.
Coming from having 2 lead acids (one I added) to my last trailer, the AGM's will be an upgrade in capacity. With everything relative, I will probably like the improvement. Plus, I was doing the 200W briefcase solar panel after wanting to cut down on my generator reliance significantly. With this new trailer, I 200W's on the roof and the 200W briefcase too. So, with 400W of charging power, and a gas/electric frig, I should do very well. I was amazed at how well the monocrystaline panels in my briefcase worked on overcast days. As for solar controllers, I'll run the installed one in the DS and the one that came with the briefcase for now, and then I'll adjust if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You could buy one or two new LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries and sell your brand new AGMs on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace and you'd probably get 80% of their cost back. I put 2-200ah LFPs on my then 5 year old motorhome - I sold the 4-five year old AGMs for $200. There was a lot of interest on Craigslist.

A good... no great, lesson to learn don't use or trust the dealer. I'll guess that you know more about your new TT than the dealer. A big mistake people make is thinking that the dealer is well trained, well equipped and super connected to Winnebago. That's just not the case.

When something breaks or doesn't work you think "it's like a new car you take it to the dealer." NO! It's nothing like a new car and the dealer is only concerned with sales and what can make them the most money. Warranty work doesn't make them much money so they do all they can to discourage owners bringing in their TTs for such work.

The more you read this and IRV2.com the more you'll learn about everything in your TT and how to best enjoy it.
Honestly, picking the AGM's was my own fault because of how I knew they'd be a jump up in capability from my previous deep cycle lead acids. I just didn't know about this LiIon phosphate option at all, and the dealer's offering of LiIon for $1k/ea was too much. Like I just told Jim, I'll give the AGM's a go to see how they do. Biggest drain will be when both the wife and I go on a trip (I go by myself a fair amount scouting & hunting) and we both run CPAP's at night. I already know how that faired with two LA batteries with just my CPAP in my last trailer, but this new trailer makes our camping together more comfortable. Deciding on inverter size that I want to install next. I already have a couple, but I want to size this one right for both CPAP's without oversizing much and also getting one that's pretty quiet.
Old 12-17-2023, 04:54 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

A cpap running on level 1 humidification and using a 12v adapter will consume about 100Wh during the night. If you don’t need humidification, consumption would be in the range of 40Wh overnight. When boondocking, I would offload my cpap onto a cheap ($200) 300Wh powerstation. It would run for 3 nights before needing to be recharged with a portable solar panel, or recharged on ac when available (like when running generator). This made it easier to preserve my house battery for all other dc and ac needs. There are a lot of 300Wh powerstations out there to choose from. It just needs to have regulated 12v output. The 12v outlet can handle a max of 15 amps. So, it would be possible to rub two cpaps on one powerstation using a splitter.
Old 12-17-2023, 06:50 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
A cpap running on level 1 humidification and using a 12v adapter will consume about 100Wh during the night. If you don’t need humidification, consumption would be in the range of 40Wh overnight. When boondocking, I would offload my cpap onto a cheap ($200) 300Wh powerstation. It would run for 3 nights before needing to be recharged with a portable solar panel, or recharged on ac when available (like when running generator). This made it easier to preserve my house battery for all other dc and ac needs. There are a lot of 300Wh powerstations out there to choose from. It just needs to have regulated 12v output. The 12v outlet can handle a max of 15 amps. So, it would be possible to rub two cpaps on one powerstation using a splitter.
Thanks. By myself up in the mountains in Nov, I was running my furnace while in the camper, lights, and some other accessories, and my 200W briefcase recharged my LA batteries each day even when it was overcast and snowing (cleared the panels a couple times). I know this MM will use more power, but I suspect the 400W will recharge the AGM's each day even with two of us camping. But, only a real world trial will confirm or not. If not, I will certainly keep your power station recommendation in mind. I know how a camper can quickly get fill up and heavier than it needs to be. So, I'm cautious about adding things until I'm fairly sure I need them.