Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #1
Winnebagel

Micro Minnie GE Air Conditioning

We just bought a 2021b Micro Minnie 2100BH, and looking forward to getting out and camping.

Wondering if anybody has measured the starting wattage of the 13.5k GE A/C on this model. Looking for generators and want to make sure I can run it.
jwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiebe View Post
We just bought a 2021b Micro Minnie 2100BH, and looking forward to getting out and camping.

Wondering if anybody has measured the starting wattage of the 13.5k GE A/C on this model. Looking for generators and want to make sure I can run it.
Most 13.5K AC's require up to 2750 watts startup power (when the compressor kicks in) and once compressor is running around 1250 watts.
Be aware, if you buy a 2500 watt generator, that is typically the SURGE watts. Your running watts will be less. I recently bought a Westinghouse iGen2500 from Lowes (caught it on a 1 day sale for $399). It has 2200 running watts and 2500 surge watts. The only exception to this is the Honda. It's 2200EU supplies 2200 watts from what I understand (don't own one since we rarely need it couldn't justify that cost of 2 units).
You can reduce the load requirements of the A/C by purchasing and installing a MicroAir EasyStart, which reportedly reduces loads by 60%-75%. There are other cheaper options out there, but the EasyStart gets good reviews.
I didn't realize that they had moved from Dometic A/C's to a GE A/C. Didn't even know that GE made an RV capable A/C.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:05 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

A Firman model 3650/3300 will not only have the 'comfort zone' in wattage to start up your 13,500 BTU with NO wattage brown out 'staving', but after start, from around 3,000 watts, will settle down to around 2,200 running. You will have enough wattage to run your invertor, your fridge, your TV, and your Microwave which on 100 power would most likely be around 1,000 watts.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...or-360898.html

The Firman 3650/3300 means that you will have 3,650 SURGE WATTS, and then a full demand 3,300 watts that will be running your air con, and all the other loads you might turn on or off. I own one...and we love it. It is a powerhouse, and runs at around 55-58DB under full load.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:01 AM   #4
Winnebagel

Thanks. I ended up buying an Onan P4500i generator, looking forward to receiving it. Will be more than adequate, and runs at only 52dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
I own one...and we love it. It is a powerhouse, and runs at around 55-58DB under full load.
I read your "review" post of the Firman, you're a huge fan eh? In the end I settled on the Onan because of their brand and the even quieter decibel rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDPerry View Post
I didn't realize that they had moved from Dometic A/C's to a GE A/C. Didn't even know that GE made an RV capable A/C.
I imagine that like many other supply constrained RV builders, they are simply installing whatever they can get their hands on.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:59 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks. I ended up buying an Onan P4500i generator, looking forward to receiving it. Will be more than adequate, and runs at only 52dB.

I read your "review" post of the Firman, you're a huge fan eh? In the end I settled on the Onan because of their brand and the even quieter decibel rating.

I imagine that like many other supply constrained RV builders, they are simply installing whatever they can get their hands on.
Looks like a very capable inverter generator! Congrat's

(You do realize that that advertised and published DB rating is at a 25% load) It seems all the manufacturers (including Firman state that range DB at 25 % load in. I used a DB meter 15-20 feet from our running Firman 3650/3300 with a 3,000 watt load. I'd be interested if you would download a DB app onto your phone, set up (create) a 3,000 watt load (by electric heaters, heat gun, that sort of thing), and then take a DB reading on your Onan, at a taped measured 15 feet, at 20 feet, and then at 50 feet. I'd love to get your feedback to compare. Also, that 50 feet is important, because that is the American and Canadian cut-off DB noise output for any campsite overseen by both Federal Governments To be 'legal' and not be told to shut down your generator if any 'complaints' are phoned in...it is that your running generator must be no more than 68 DB when measured by a Park Ranger (or police, or whomever as 'official') at 50 measured feet away from your running generator. If you are at or less than 68 DB at 50 feet...you are legal both in the U.S. and Canada, and can not be 'enforced' to shut down your generator, unless there are specific hours of operation. In Canada, upon Crown Land (in your case Federal land), there are no time-of-use restrictions, BUT..that 68 or less DB at 50 feet, measured, sure is. Both U.S. and Canada.

You took care of the 'bottom line'...and that is it takes close to 3,000 watts to start up a 13,500 BTU (from any manu) and then settles down to around 2,200-700 watts running and cycling. You folks won't 'brown-out' electrically starve your A.C. compressor, which adds years to the wear, or outright winding(s) failure. Looks like a very nice 4,500 watt invertor!

This is our first ever generator and we look forward to be able to cut the 'powered' site lottery. I already found so many available-through-June/July/August wonderful sites that have some water, but basically no service...large lots, mostly in a more forested setting at campgrounds...and we see that having a 52-58 DB full output generator won't be a 'nasty neighbor' problem. Also, the no-service campsites are on average (about $15.00 to $25.00 a day cheaper, so that cancels right out, the cost of gasoline, to run your generator. So now..(slapping hands together, lol) , it is a sheer win-win to own your new generator. It won't 'cost' you any more to run it upon a camping site, as the reduced per night camping fee cancels the fuel out. It also allows you now to boondock, and no fee whatsoever! Win/Win.... In closing, for us, with no longer any concern of house mains power failure, and now also for camping, day-by-the-lake usage, around the property-electric tools usage...you and we are all set! Enjoy!

Fellow 'do-all-wattage rating' (LOL) owner.
BTW, all the add-on for AC 'Soft Starts' come in at $300.00 USF, so we just decided to add capacity in the generator, rather than less capable wattage output, and sticking another $300.00 to the RV roof... Choices, right?
Old 05-01-2021, 12:48 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just found a review of your new Onan...and the chap shows 66-68 db running at no load about a few feet from it, and then 62-63 set to ECO Mode, also a couple of feet from it, so you will be well below that 50 foot at 68 db noise restriction.

Our Firman 3650/3300 gave same db metrics...so you should see around 52-58 db if you take a reading around 20-50 feet away under load running your AC. You have 4,500 peak, and 3,700 watts sustained. We have 3650 peak, and 3300 sustained. Onan 3 year warranty as ours. You will be able to run most anything alongside your running 13,500 BTU AC. You won't need to 'wattage' rob Peter, to pay Paul. Have fun...Boodocking, or lower night rate camping! Here you both come!
Old 05-02-2021, 06:44 PM   #7
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The GE we know doesn't make RV air conditioners. In fact, GE Appliances is now a Haier company. This happened in 2016.

To the OP, I second the suggestion of the soft start (although GE/Haier doesn't recommend them). A little late now on your generator purchase, however, it would have made a significant impact on the size (smaller) you would need.

Bobby
Old 05-02-2021, 06:57 PM   #8
Winnebagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg View Post
The GE we know doesn't make RV air conditioners. In fact, GE Appliances is now a Haier company. This happened in 2016.

To the OP, I second the suggestion of the soft start (although GE/Haier doesn't recommend them). A little late now on your generator purchase, however, it would have made a significant impact on the size (smaller) you would need.

Bobby
Thanks for the additional recommendation. I was going to go that route initially but got a killer deal on the genset.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:51 AM   #9
Winnebagel

Quote:
Most 13.5K AC's require up to 2750 watts startup power (when the compressor kicks in) and once compressor is running around 1250 watts.
Be aware, if you buy a 2500 watt generator, that is typically the SURGE watts. Your running watts will be less. I recently bought a Westinghouse iGen2500 from Lowes (caught it on a 1 day sale for $399). It has 2200 running watts and 2500 surge watts. The only exception to this is the Honda. It's 2200EU supplies 2200 watts from what I understand (don't own one since we rarely need it couldn't justify that cost of 2 units).
You can reduce the load requirements of the A/C by purchasing and installing a MicroAir EasyStart, which reportedly reduces loads by 60%-75%. There are other cheaper options out there, but the EasyStart gets good reviews.

It turns out that my supplier accidentally got the Onan P2500i in for me instead of the one I actually ordered. It's simply a re-badged version of the iGen2500.

What has your experience been with the iGen2500?
Old 05-04-2021, 02:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
This is the same generator as the Westinghouse iGen4500. So far I've really liked the one we have, but be sure to break it in before use. I ran it for 2 hours with no load, changed the oil then ran it for an hour with a 1500 watt load, turning it on and off, changed the oil again, then ran it with a consistent 1500 watt load (50% utilization) for 1.5 hours then changed the oil a final time, using synthetic oil each time.

Tags
air conditioning