Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2006, 09:02 AM   #1

My Basement air cools the coach off good with both compressors running continuously at an outside temp of above 80 degrees....

Once the outside temp gets down to under 75 degrees, the compressors come on and then go off after a couple of minutes, then both come back on, then off again....

Set point of 60 degrees...

This seem normal?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:02 AM   #2

My Basement air cools the coach off good with both compressors running continuously at an outside temp of above 80 degrees....

Once the outside temp gets down to under 75 degrees, the compressors come on and then go off after a couple of minutes, then both come back on, then off again....

Set point of 60 degrees...

This seem normal?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

With an outside temperature of 80 you should be able to pump the coach down to a frosty 65 with no problem.

Cutting off early could be a thermostat calibration problem, or possibly low refigerant.

Walt
Old 05-26-2006, 09:52 AM   #4

Yeah...once the outside temp reaches below the mid 70's, the compressors short cycle even though the inside is 76 with set point of 60...seems like both compressors should still run continuously exclusive of what the outside temp is.....

Above 80 degrees outside temp, both compressors run and the air in the vents is 45 degrees....so there sounds like there is plenty of refrigerant....
Old 05-26-2006, 11:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Front Range,,check your private messages..JIM
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

If I don't miss my guess,someone like The RV Guy will be along with a "technical" explanation and possibly a fix to your issue...Please keep the forum updated as to your PM responses and whether or not you get the fix...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Kiwi, Good to hear from you. Hope you're recovering from the all the damage.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
Kiwi, Good to hear from you. Hope you're recovering from the all the damage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Donavon...
We are slugging along, we thought about selling our RV at one point, but quickly gave up on that idea when we realized we may have to evacuate for the next 10 years. We are packing now for the upcoming season. I read the forum a lot, just have not had time to post.
Walt
Old 05-26-2006, 12:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(snip)
Above 80 degrees outside temp, both compressors run and the air in the vents is 45 degrees....so there sounds like there is plenty of refrigerant.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh, well seldom gets below 80 here. Don't have a lot of experience.
Walt
Old 05-26-2006, 12:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Talk about timing, I was just about to ask the same questions. It's 82 here, the inside temps are about 89 and I turned on the basement AC and had cool air and 15 amp draw for about 2 minutes, now just the fan is on (yes its on Cool and auto) and the compressor aren't kicking in. Board only shows 4 amp draw. Figures now that the summer is here....ugh.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Hmmm -- I wonder if the freeze switch can affect both heating and cooling. Sounds like the evaporator is freezing up, the freeze switch cuts out the compressor, it makes contact again and the cycle repeats.

Just a thought...

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Hmmm -- I wonder if the freeze switch can affect both heating and cooling. Sounds like the evaporator is freezing up, the freeze switch cuts out the compressor, it makes contact again and the cycle repeats.

Just a thought... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John...I think you might have hit on something here...Im wondering the same thing...

Is the freeze switch the "thirestor" switch? Im thinking that it 'thinks' its cold and shuts off the compressors?
Old 05-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I hope I didn't intrude or confuse my problem with Front Ranger......mine sounds like it needs to go to the shop,,,,but I'm curious if it'll work with the outside temps a little higher....think I'll know in a few days.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

FrontRangeRVer,

Are you comfortable working inside the control panel of the basement unit. You can disconnect from 120vac and do some wiring changes to validate the thermistor, but only if you're comfortable.

Let me know and I'll help you through the test.

Mike
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:56 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Well my problem still persists, I sent a PM to the RV Guy maybe he can talk me thru some stuff. I can't evn call the repair shop till Tuesday!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:37 AM   #16

I did send a PM to the RV guy....Mine goes back to the dealer on Tues...

Now my Generator wont swap over to Electric...it runs, but I get no 120 volts...breakers arent tripped...UGGGGG!!!!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted May 28, 2006 04:37 PM
I did send a PM to the RV guy....Mine goes back to the dealer on Tues...

Now my Generator wont swap over to Electric...it runs, but I get no 120 volts...breakers arent tripped...UGGGGG!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just a mini rant here...last August my A/C failed, blew breakers and all. Dealer had it 3 weeks before they told me they didn't have anyone qualified to work on it.( in the meantime they were selling trailers to FEMA)So they referred me to an independant repair place who tore it apart found burn circuit board and smoked blower fan and PARTs MISSING! So the dealer tried to work on it....anyhow it was ok till this weekend. I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of a relay or something to start the 2nd compressor.Anyhow, I see you have a new problem. At least you have the dealer lined up this week, I'm still in limbo. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Ok I got the PM from the RV guy and I'm going to tackle this tomorrow, I'll keep you posted, temps expected to be in the high 80's tomorrow and wonderful east coast humidity!
Old 06-01-2006, 05:54 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Just an update, looks like it's going into the shop on June 20th. However with the help of RVguy who took the time to speak with me on the phone a few times and e mail me a service manual we decided to leave my fingers out of it at this point. I was able to bypass the thermister but that didn't seem to be the problem. I visual inspection of the control panel found a scorched wire from one of the compressor relays.

But thanks again RVguy and your phone number is on my redial.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #20

Mine is still in the shop for the original problem reported in this post:

The compressors short cycle when the OUTSIDE ambient temperatures are below 75 degrees....

Im not sure I have convinced the service dept at my dealer to jumper the outside thermistor, which I and TheRVGuy thinks it is....they seem to think its inside somewhere...air flow......I disagree....

The dealer just received a 2007 Voyage in, and they report it has the same problem...Im beginning to wonder if we ALL have the above problem...just not too many people run their air below 75 degrees, so they dont notice???

Mark

Oh...the auto transfer switch doesnt work now, so the generator provides no power...JEEZ!!!!