Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2021, 10:33 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Review of the Firman 3650/3300 Invertor Generator

We received our factory fresh, factory sealed Firman 3650/3300iR Invertor Generator today. I spent the day breaking in our 3650/3300 by running the family hair dryer on low/mid/high heat settings, and also to approach max power output, I added my shop heat gun, in low/mid/high on top of the hair dryer. I also used our name brand MicroFurnace 1,500 watt cube heater, and since I have two of them, also towards the end of the five to seven hours total running today, doubled them up, for a power consumption of 3,000 watts. Also plugged after 7 hours of break in...into our 1706FB, and excitedly, I turned on the Dometic 13,500 BTU roof mounted A.C. and wham bam, whoosh, cold air came flowing out, and no compressor labored hard start. It was bmmmm...low hum, and instant cold air generation inside the T.T. Gawd...I LOVE IT! )))

In a nutshell, the Firman 3650/3300 Invertor Generator worked flawlessly, and under full load power, at 15 feet from it, put out 68db, and 58db on Eco Setting. Well below the noise limit for National State and Provincial Parks. We simulated camping environment, by sharing a beer and sitting in lawn chairs about 15-20 feet away from the running 3650/3300, and easily, my wife and I could hold a conversation without straining to hear the other, or...that the 'white noise' sound of the engine running, dropped and frequency-notched our voice's frequency output, to mask our speech, and make it hard to understand the other. Think of holding a conversation in a concert hall, before the concert...and everybody talking around you...that is the 'white noise' I am talking about.

Since most T30 amp Winnebago power cords are 25 feet, you easily could have the unit 20-23 feet from your trailer power input point, and they (all manufacturers HIGHLY suggest you do so...for purposes of eliminating any chance of carbon monoxide gas, being let into your trailer via open windows and such.

Being that I am a Sound Engineer, I also know of the Anechoic Effect of tree bark, leaves, leaves on bushes, to disperse a direct sound pressure wave, so we went into our back yard (at home) and set up the Firman 3650/3300 within a copse of three bushes within a landscape setting. WOW....almost a third less muffler noise, as I figured it would be. You see, the leaves, all at different angles and density, not only absorb sound energy, but will deflect a sound pressure wave, at all angles...and literally 'carves' it up into little packets for 360 degree dispersal. So, if you are at your campsite, and you have some trees or bushes, if you place your invertor generator within, or have some of the fauna between a direct line of sight between your generator (any brand) and your T.T.RV, it will immensely add to the lowest DB's you will hear.

I waited until I actually picked up the generator from the Home Depot (best and most AMAZING PRICE (RIGHT NOW) that even beat out the best converted USF to CDN price out there...from anybody offering it for sale!) and picked up also today (well ordered today to be shipped to the house):

The Firman brand 10 gauged T30 amp 5 way (the end has five 115 volt (same as your house) power ends, with their own short fault circuits) for use around the home after a mains power failure, and for outside around the exterior of the T.T. For picnic table stuff, fryer, coffee maker, heater...for just sitting on those late Fall nights, when not having a fire, or not wanting one... etc., and also the 25 foot same 10 gauge Firman extension cord. So, between the five-outlet ended cord and the extension cord, I have 50 feet to play with, if wanted/needed.

Again...a killer price for both coming in at $79.00 CDN (Firman wants $143.00 USF on their site for each, (!!!!) and most other Canadian and U.S. stores/outlets want $123-27. USF/CDN for each as well. They are well made, high quality and both at 10 gauge, are MADE to handle the T30 amp connection point to the generator. One cord, will give you full wattage output as it used the RV T30 connection point on the generator.

https://www.firmanpowerequipment.com...s-accessories/

I don't know how long Canadian Home Depot will have this massively reduced price for the following:

Firman 3650/3300iR (remote start) Invertor Power Generator for $998.00 CDN.

and both high quality Firman brand accessory 25 foot power cords (the one with the five 115 connectors and the 25 foot extension) for only $79.00 (each, on the date of posting) !!!!

Those above prices kill the brand name competition (same wattage) in all brands, let along any other Firman dealer/sales point for the mentioned model.

FYI.

You want one? You want to get the accessory cords while they are still made?

HOME DEPOT...tomorrow, or ASAP. You snooze...you lose.

Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:49 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Well, still getting used to running the Firman 3650/3300 in the 'real world'. So, as I published my two DB readings (from a mid range cost sound meter) from only 15 feet away, and most people would have their inverters at least 25 feet away, I did a few more spot tests...and here's the scoop.

1. I building-tape-measured our sitting chair positioning) to 25 feet, with reflective homes walls, yard fences, that sort of thing (I was testing in the 'burbs....) and got readings of 55-6 DB. Very quiet for a invertor generator of this wattage output, and then I did a 50 foot test (most campground have a boundary of 50 or more feet) so it was my camping neighbors, 'irritation test', and the DB were touching only 50-2 DB, This is most excellent!

2. I finally did the 'main's out at home' and running 24 hours a day if need be, test. So, I ran it under my covered patio , near my sliding door into the dining room (will put the Kingman through the wall T30 amp to 6 115 house plug in's as soon as it comes in) and it produced standing two feet away, practically right over it, about 66-8 DB. That is very good for being so close, and the unit surrounded by hard brick walls on two sides, my house wall, and the back of my two car garage brick wall. I had it running off of ECO mode, and with my two 1,500 watt ceramic disc cube heaters to run a constant load of 3,000 watts...and it was at that 66-8 DB level. Excellent! That means, that I could run my house lights, my central furnace, both my fridge and freezer, and even have left over for the coffee maker, microwave, stove top electric fryer...etc. We could easily be comfortable and not too put out, by a mains take-down, of hours, or even into days. Halleluiah ! Really needed one! Been wanting to buy one for a long time...but just kept procrastinating. Finally ended with that!

3. The final sound test, was the human interaction test...so, I had it running just outside our sliding patio door off of our concrete patio, and adjacent to the two brick walls, I already mentioned...and with a 3,000 watt load, knocked on both my neighbor's doors to my right and to my left, and said can you hear outside (without prejudicing the question (pre-loading) by telling them what was running, and why I was asking) any sort of irritating noise? They BOTH said, wives and husbands, what noise..that low drumming? "Why...is it bothering you guys?" Wow...fabulous! I said; "Nope...and here's why I am asking you...I just bought an invertor electric generator, and it is running at full output capacity right now...and I just wanted to ask if that 'drumming' sound' would bother or irritate you?" They both said, that it just sounded like an electric driven lawn implement. "Woo Hoo!" Thanks, guys...

"Hey, ..wait a minute...what unit did you get...we were talking some time about thinking of looking into one, because of more than often, these weather power outgoes, ..." Well, they came over...I popped a beer into their hands...and showed them our new Firman 3650/3300, and told them of the great price at Home Depot (Ontario, Canada) at the moment...and dang...I should get a commission from Firman, lol. Both my neighbors are now going to look into getting their own. You know...between neighbors...the Pied Piper Syndrome...lol. So, I can say that we should be good to go at a non-powered campsite.

The good think about that...is that most people will NOT be camping on those sites...and anybody that is, will most likely have a invertor generator themselves, and CERTAINLY would not be complaining to the front desk, or to a Park Ranger, about YOURS! So, that's the plan, we'd only be using it for boondocking on BLM land, or Ontario Crown Land...and in fact there are no true DB noise level restrictions on Dispersed Camping. Well, there is...actually, 60 DB or less can be used 24 hours a day...but it is very rare that any Ranger or official would be running around Boondocking sites looking for 60 DB or less generator runners. If you use ECO mode on most any good name-brand invertor, you will be running below 60 DB at the 50 foot away 'official distance rule for a DB measurement.

Hope all this helps...and cheers...and happy 'powered' camping...even for those hot humid days and nights, being able to run your A.C.!

A happy camper....
Old 05-01-2021, 02:33 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Just ordered a Reliance 10 circuit Generator By-Pass panel, with the outside remote connection for our home.

Just another perk to owning a stand alone, generator.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:09 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
Just ordered a Reliance 10 circuit Generator By-Pass panel, with the outside remote connection for our home.

Just another perk to owning a stand alone, generator.
Post Edit: Also called a Transfer Switch Panel.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The campground we go to in the Keys limits generators to 74 db at full load measured at 10 ft. Sounds like these would be either just over or just under.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:38 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
The campground we go to in the Keys limits generators to 74 db at full load measured at 10 ft. Sounds like these would be either just over or just under.
I just tested it, standing practically right over it with my 13,500 Dometic A.C. on and running for 1 minute to compressor stabilize.

68db At the BLM and Crown Land 50 feet from generator test...52db It needs to be 60db (or less), at 50 feet away to be allowed and used. I also like that this generator doesn't spool/surge when a constant demand load is upon it.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I'm not understanding the DB values (55-6?) as you are giving them but that does seem to match pretty closely what I'm finding with the Champion 3500 watt Generator I'm setting up. In the US, the Champion seemed to be the better choice as the more known value but in either case, I would consider it really abusive to run them in campgrounds.

One of the cheaper, easier methods to cut the noise is to lay a simple item like a sheet of plywood or OSB at an angle to deflect the sound to the ground. My main problem at the moment is the scarce supply of the items I need, so I'm waiting for that to clear before going further.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:59 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I'm not understanding the DB values (55-6?) as you are giving them but that does seem to match pretty closely what I'm finding with the Champion 3500 watt Generator I'm setting up. In the US, the Champion seemed to be the better choice as the more known value but in either case, I would consider it really abusive to run them in campgrounds.

One of the cheaper, easier methods to cut the noise is to lay a simple item like a sheet of plywood or OSB at an angle to deflect the sound to the ground. My main problem at the moment is the scarce supply of the items I need, so I'm waiting for that to clear before going further.
Hi Morich, my use of '55-6' meant 55/56 or 55 fluctuating to 56db. Morich, where you would run a generator is upon a site that has no hydro. Most sites that have no hydro (electricity) also lacks water. So, anybody around your site, no services within a structured campground, would most likely have, or wish they had, an invertor generator. You are not putting anybody out. These sites would also be only for the intended use by RV's and TT's. Tent campers would be clustered on much smaller sites, and would also not be affected by your quiet droning hum of your source of power. I know of no one, that would use a generator, upon a hydro-serviced site.

I am also smiling right now as I type the following. How bizarre, would it be, to see a campground on a busy weekend, get taken out by a overloaded, and aged pole transformer at the highway...and the whole campground goes dark. Well...for them...as you then want a cup of morning 'joe' and fire up your own little Niagara Falls...and hee haw, to that pot of coffee, as you and any other invertor generator packed camper...is also enjoying sipping that morning joe..in the comfort of their cooled Air Conditioned RV or TT, (set to a humidity-free 72F) on that hot, sticky, 89 F by 7:00am July the 4th, ...and heading towards 98F by noon...and reports are that the power will take 48 hours to come back on, due to the holiday weekend skeleton-crew.... (yep..an evil smile upon my kisser, as I type that possible scenario!). Cheers!
Old 05-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

The 'I didn't know that, and how many other's as well?' post...

My 2 week old Firman invertor generator is the 3650/3300 output, a Surge rating of 3,650 watts and a constant running load of 3,300 watts.

"Ok, " I thought...and wondered why Firman produced those figures for the top of the line (present) unit?

Why not just make it 3,700 watts even, or even a surge of 4,000 watts?

I got my answer in my delivery today of my three power cords, all being 10 gauge, with 2 at 25 feet length each, and one (the three prong, (RV) to four prong adapter from Reliance Controls) to connect to Home Mains Transfer Panel boxes, at one foot. My Firman has the standard 3 prong 33 degrees apart RV direct plug in (for no need adapter use of my O.E.M Winnebago 25 foot power cord).

They ALL have a max rating of no more carrying than 3, 700 watts, at a max of 30 amps---> MAX! That is the MAX constant flow wattage (30 amp) 10 gauge wiring can safely handle without a failure or chance of wire meltdown and fire or a potential for electrocution hazard!

Makes sense now...that my SURGE rating is 50 watts less than the legal safety maximum for the total load carry wattage of all active loads. It makes sense now that there is a built in constant run safety of 400 watts below the max for all 10 gauged wiring, (total 30 amps) that being my 3,300 watts constant output.

So, if you are running a non-invertor 4,000, 5,000---to 10,000 watts Generator....make sure of the cables and wiring between your home Transfer Switch Panel, or wherever else you are using that Contractor's non-invertor generator. You could possibly be pulling a total wattage beyond the built in max wattage parameters of your cables...thereby in danger of cable overheating and fire/electrocution. If so, and that is your generator, I'd make sure that your total circuits you have available to the generator does not exceed a max constant pull of over 3,700 watts!
Old 05-08-2021, 01:18 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Nice test to show the stable running and strong heart capability of the Firman 3650/3300 in comparison to the Predator 3500 and the Wen 3800 They all will do the work for you, so it merely is a personal choice that drives your purchase. Always will be... We also like (my wife and I) that the Firman is one of the lowest height profile large watt capacity invertors that will easily fit under a locked or soft cloth pick up bed cover. It won't touch the cover and abrade the bottom side. With the four elevated corner 'horns' of the Predator...I wonder if that over time, would cause abrasion wear to the underside of any soft or hard surface pick up bed cover...dunno, but looking at the three of them...they do (Predator 3500 case corners) stick up at the corners of the enclosure.

Post Edit: I watched the vid again, ..and noticed something technically very interesting, that right up to overload at 100 watts more than that of both the Predator and the WEN, was that the Firman 3650/3300 never went below 120 line voltage! Both the other started brown-out dropping line voltage to 110, as they approached their max 100 watts less then the Firman...and that suggests to me, that very high build quality and integral parts goes into the Firman brand of invertor generators. Even under overload and over maxing the rated wattage rating, it still maintained to the end, and at shut down, a full 120 volt output, ' house mains-rated 120 volts. I am impressed!

Old 05-10-2021, 05:42 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

The Canadian price just got better at Home Depot...

Was $998.00

Today, is now on sale:

$848.00 ($150.00 dollars off an already great competitive price.)

Folks, at $848.00 CDN NOTHING no other brand can touch the Firman 3650/330 for this price, against its feature list.

If anybody is even bashing around the idea of owning a very capable Invertor Generator that will run everything to do with your RV or TT...at this price...it is a no brainer! For an American buyer...how 'bout this----> you could buy it at a Canadian Home Depot, and then have it shipped to your American home address, and now take off another 35 percent, (that would be adjusted on your C.C.!!!!)

So...$848.00, minus the USF/CDN exchange rate of 35 % for an end cost of: $551.20 USF. Unbelievable!

You're all welcome....

Tags
generator, view