Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-20-2022, 12:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fan upgrade, warranty.

Hi all,

We have a deposit down on a 2108DS and, assuming our PDI goes well, will be taking delivery at the beginning of May.

Dealer wants $750 installed for Maxx air 5100s (each) which is a bit too rich for my blood. Watched a bunch of install videos and I'm relatively handy, so thinking I will just do it my self. Lady and I both have concerns about potential warranty impacts.

Can anyone shed any light? If I have to I'll probably just end up doing a Heng in the bathroom until the 1 year is exhausted other wise.

Excited about getting our first trailer.
larcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 01:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I can't provide any insight to warranty impacts, but I replaced our fan in the bathroom within a month of getting our new trailer (2021 2108FBS). It is fairly easy to do. You will spend most of the time taking the old one off and cleaning all the caulk off. I put in a Maxxair 6200k. I haven't replaced the vent in front with the same fan due to the placement of the solar roof entry being right behind the vent. At some point I will probably just move the solar roof entry.
Old 04-20-2022, 05:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you replace the fans yourself and have a leak from one of them, the damage isn't likely to be covered under your warranty. Even if the dealer does it, you could have a fight on your hands.

Maxxair 5100K prices are all over the map right now, but Walmart has them for $278 and I've seen one price of $458. I'd want to see the breakdown of the dealer's quote. Even if they're charging $300 for the fan, $450 for installation is outrageous. I'd think that installation shouldn't exceed an hour's worth of labor each.

Personally, I'd wait until the initial warranty period has expired and DIY.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringemtm View Post
I can't provide any insight to warranty impacts, but I replaced our fan in the bathroom within a month of getting our new trailer (2021 2108FBS). It is fairly easy to do. You will spend most of the time taking the old one off and cleaning all the caulk off. I put in a Maxxair 6200k. I haven't replaced the vent in front with the same fan due to the placement of the solar roof entry being right behind the vent. At some point I will probably just move the solar roof entry.

Thanks for the context and great to know that about the solar drop, thanks
Old 04-20-2022, 07:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
If you replace the fans yourself and have a leak from one of them, the damage isn't likely to be covered under your warranty. Even if the dealer does it, you could have a fight on your hands.

Maxxair 5100K prices are all over the map right now, but Walmart has them for $278 and I've seen one price of $458. I'd want to see the breakdown of the dealer's quote. Even if they're charging $300 for the fan, $450 for installation is outrageous. I'd think that installation shouldn't exceed an hour's worth of labor each.

Personally, I'd wait until the initial warranty period has expired and DIY.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. I can install the Heng's and I wouldn't get the works-in-the-rain functionality or the thermostat (which I care about -- dogs) but it would be pretty hard for them to claim I messed the roof up putting the Heng's in.

I agree about the labor charge -- I figured the first one would take me 2 hours going slow, and then the second would probably be an hour.

Ours doesn't have a hood under the microwave, seems lots of the 2022s don't but all 2021s do, so cooking anything that requires any oil is going to be dicey -- we probably just wont, and do that kind of thing out side. Even for boiling etc though, I'm gunna want real ventilation in that area...
Old 04-20-2022, 07:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Since you have an RV, there is a certain amount of time that will likely be spent working with old caulk, given a few years. So if you get into changing a fan/vent, etc. now is the time to buy a time saver for around $30!
Removing caulk with a putty knife is really time consuming as well as hard not to gouge the other parts, but if you go for an oscillating tool like this, it will become your favorite tool for any old caulk as well as lots of other uses if you're a dIY guy!

The advantage of these is the control you have and the ease of removing the caulk. A flat blade laid really tight against the roof, will have the caulk down to the part you may want to scrubb off with cleaner in less than fifteen minutes and with a bit of care, there will be no roof gouges!

Then if you want to cut some small bit of wood, you can hold the piece in your hand and never worry about cutting yourself as skin just wiggles if you lay the tool right on your palm!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...2?athbdg=L1200
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the headsup on this -- I sorta would have figured these would increase the chance of a roof gouge -- is it just because you can get the blade truly flat? I've used these before and know they can cut wood very easily....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Since you have an RV, there is a certain amount of time that will likely be spent working with old caulk, given a few years. So if you get into changing a fan/vent, etc. now is the time to buy a time saver for around $30!
Removing caulk with a putty knife is really time consuming as well as hard not to gouge the other parts, but if you go for an oscillating tool like this, it will become your favorite tool for any old caulk as well as lots of other uses if you're a dIY guy!

The advantage of these is the control you have and the ease of removing the caulk. A flat blade laid really tight against the roof, will have the caulk down to the part you may want to scrubb off with cleaner in less than fifteen minutes and with a bit of care, there will be no roof gouges!

Then if you want to cut some small bit of wood, you can hold the piece in your hand and never worry about cutting yourself as skin just wiggles if you lay the tool right on your palm!

Old 04-21-2022, 07:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yes, with a flexible thin blade, laid as flat as you can, the tip never digs in. starting at the edge of the caulk and just zipping along in line with the edge, things go just really nice.

The blade I used had been a saw blade at ne time but after working to change out a set of metal windows on a brick house, the teeth werelone gone and since, I have used just the thin blade scraper blades. Now I use it any time for small stuff like around the taillights.

I think it has as much to do with lettting the tiny taps from the oscilation do the cutting and not have me pressing so hard that it gets out of control. Kind of like the difference in a sewing machine and hand sewn?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Another vote for the multi-tool. It's one of the best and most versatile tools I have. As a saw, you have very fine control, much more than with a power jigsaw. If you're careful, you can control it well enough to split a hose for removal without damaging the fitting.

I've been underwhelmed with the performance of my cordless Ryobi multi-tool and like my corded ones much better. Note that the more expensive models have features like spring-loaded quick change blade releases and better speed controls.

I started with an inexpensive corded, Harbor Freight model and used it to rebuild a traditional wood and canvas canoe. I eventually upgraded to a Porter Cable corded model that was on sale at Woot, but the Harbor Freight tool is still going strong even though HF power tools aren't known for their longevity.

Buy an inexpensive one and upgrade if you find you're using it all the time, relegating the inexpensive one to your RV.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post

I use my oscillating multitool all the time, but I never thought to use it to remove old dicor from my RV roof. If I decide to replace my front vent with a fan, I might try it out.
rstraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

One question on install -- Some vids I've seen (including the manufacturers) use butyl tape under the flange, others use additional caulk under the flange.

The latter makes more sense to me, the manuf suggestions the former.

Any advice on which way makes for a less leak prone install?
Old 04-21-2022, 01:35 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by larcat View Post
One question on install -- Some vids I've seen (including the manufacturers) use butyl tape under the flange, others use additional caulk under the flange.
For what it's worth, I replaced both my vents with MaxxAir fans and followed the mfg instructions to use the butyl tape. Two years and so far so good. No leaks, and I'd highly recommend the fans. I can't say about non-butyl install.

The only thing I wish is if the MaxxAir internal guts could be rotated for my front fan so I can see the controls when I lean over the bed to operate it. Of course I know the controls by heart now, but it initially was annoying to have to tilt my head backward to see what button to push.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
For what it's worth, I replaced both my vents with MaxxAir fans and followed the mfg instructions to use the butyl tape. Two years and so far so good. No leaks, and I'd highly recommend the fans. I can't say about non-butyl install.

The only thing I wish is if the MaxxAir internal guts could be rotated for my front fan so I can see the controls when I lean over the bed to operate it. Of course I know the controls by heart now, but it initially was annoying to have to tilt my head backward to see what button to push.

I see you've got a similar setup as we're gunna have (Tacoma, tow pro, 2108ds) -- I went for the liberty because I figured we wouldn't use the fully manual breaking of the Elite.

Do you use it or just leave it on proportional all the time?

(Off topic I know)
Old 04-23-2022, 06:06 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I see you've got a similar setup as we're gunna have (Tacoma, tow pro, 2108ds) -- I went for the liberty because I figured we wouldn't use the fully manual breaking of the Elite.

Do you use it or just leave it on proportional all the time?

(Off topic I know)

I think you made the right choice. I've never used the user-controlled mode and somehow I bet I'll forget I have that feature if I'm off road. Hope the install went good for you. I found it was very straightforward but was tough to get up the nerve to start popping open dash panels of a new vehicle!
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 05:09 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Hi all,

We have a deposit down on a 2108DS and, assuming our PDI goes well, will be taking delivery at the beginning of May.

Dealer wants $750 installed for Maxx air 5100s (each) which is a bit too rich for my blood. Watched a bunch of install videos and I'm relatively handy, so thinking I will just do it my self. Lady and I both have concerns about potential warranty impacts.

Can anyone shed any light? If I have to I'll probably just end up doing a Heng in the bathroom until the 1 year is exhausted other wise.

Excited about getting our first trailer.
I put Hengs Vortex II fans in our last two RVs and in our current travel trailer and they probably are 8% as good as a MaxxAir fan. They install in about 30 minutes each and you don't have to disturb anything on the roof of your new RV.

The two fans I bought for our trailer cost me over $200.00 in February, a year ago I paid half that. As far a $1500.00 for two fans installed is probably fair. four hours labor at $200.00 each plus the two fans and sealant.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:38 AM   #16
czw9ns

I just assumed that if the RV Dealer installed a part it was covered under warranty. It is a surprise to find that even if a dealer installs a vent fan and there are issues it may not be covered under the warranty. Thank you for sharing that info.

We also quoted an install of a maxx air vent for the vents in our 2100 bh we picked up in Oct of last year. We had the dealer install vent covers so they can be somewhat sheltered from the sun or elements. I was looking at one of those RV Sunvent sloar powered vent. I have not seen one in person but the idea seems smart. It occured to me that i might be able to swap the cover for this cover and use the brackets that were put in by the dealer.

I wish there was something simple and small that you could squeeze into the rounded square from inside like those pads that block the sun that would work as a fan. Even if it was just battery powered. that would be enough
czw9ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:43 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I do not anything about the warranty either however I do know about the fan. I replaced our manual vent in bedroom with a Maxaire. Cannot remember the model number. It was very easy. As mentioned earlier, cleaning the old caulking off was the vast majority of the time. Use good self leveling caulk for covering the new screws. If you already have power in the space, it is a no brainer.

Good luck.
Donzi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2108DS and I replaced the OEM “fan” with. Henge. It was supper easy and I didn’t have to cut into the existing caulk, which I was really opposed to doing. My previous camper came with a Maxx Air and the only noticeable difference was the Maxx Air is a bit quieter but not by much.
Just Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:18 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringemtm View Post
I just ordered 2x Hengs Vortex II because of the solar drop issue like you mentioned. I ordered 2x Maxxair original vent covers as well so I can use the fans in the rain.

When I start doing the solar on my roof I will most likely use a new solar gland and change the location while I'm at it. So when my warranty is expired I may switch to the Maxxair if I'm not completely satisfied with the Hengs.

Tags
fan, upgrade