Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-26-2022, 04:56 AM   #121
Winnie-Wise

2022 F-150 w/3.5 EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
After a long weekend of dispersed camping on Cottonwood Pass at 9800 feet, low nighttime temps and some snow one night, I’m sticking with the F-150 Powerboost with the 7.2Kw inverter as the best tow vehicle for a Micro Minnie. Of course our furnace is gas, but to have essentially unlimited power and zero concerns about the tank heater, lights, coffee maker, microwave, water heater, water pump and fridge is a nice feeling.
Although my 2001 F-150 has been sufficient, I realized after my last extended road trip that I needed to upgrade my TV for safety, comfort and performance concerns.

Earlier this week I purchased a 2022 F-150 (3.5 EcoBoost, non-PB) and yesterday took it on a 50 mile trial run with my TT. Even with 40 MPH wind gusts, it pulled straight and strong. This limited run achieved 13-14 MPG averaging 50 MPH.

Equipment and options
  • 400 HP and 500 lb/ft of torque (practically doubled)
  • 360 degree camera package including a hitch camera
  • Tow package with integrated brake controller and sway control
  • On-board scales w/ smart hitch (Payload and capacity)
  • Tailgate step (good for old folks)
  • 2Kw Pro Power onboard
  • 36 gal fuel tank

IMO, Ford has nailed it. Being a solo traveler, having the camera system assist with lining up the hitch was a game changer. Unfortunately with all of these gadgets, payload was reduced by ~100 lbs.

I still have the 2001 and it will now be relegated to workhorse status. Planning a trip to Fort Pickens, FL in April. Will report back any findings/updates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220324_192219320.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	492.0 KB
ID:	182341  
Old 03-26-2022, 08:14 AM   #122
Winnebagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRoll View Post
Although my 2001 F-150 has been sufficient, I realized after my last extended road trip that I needed to upgrade my TV for safety, comfort and performance concerns.

Earlier this week I purchased a 2022 F-150 (3.5 EcoBoost, non-PB) and yesterday took it on a 50 mile trial run with my TT. Even with 40 MPH wind gusts, it pulled straight and strong. This limited run achieved 13-14 MPG averaging 50 MPH.

Equipment and options
  • 400 HP and 500 lb/ft of torque (practically doubled)
  • 360 degree camera package including a hitch camera
  • Tow package with integrated brake controller and sway control
  • On-board scales w/ smart hitch (Payload and capacity)
  • Tailgate step (good for old folks)
  • 2Kw Pro Power onboard
  • 36 gal fuel tank

IMO, Ford has nailed it. Being a solo traveler, having the camera system assist with lining up the hitch was a game changer. Unfortunately with all of these gadgets, payload was reduced by ~100 lbs.

I still have the 2001 and it will now be relegated to workhorse status. Planning a trip to Fort Pickens, FL in April. Will report back any findings/updates.
Great choice! I'm still waiting for mine, but it looks like it's roughly the same as that, albeit with the 2.7 EcoBoost.
jwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:44 AM   #123
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
I just picked up my 2108FBS today. I had to drive for about 5 hours to get it home. Power was not an issue, but MPG was. I believe it was due to the air resistance since it has a much larger frontal area than my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was getting about 8-9 MPG at 70 MPH on level ground and 4 MPG at 80 MPH under similar circumstances. At 60 MPH I was getting around 11 MPG. Going uphill I seen it drop as low as 2 MPG depending on the grade.
Dave... not only does driving fast use gas but it is a tire destroyer as well. Check your tire sidewall. It should have a max speed for the tires. A great many of them have 65 mph as the max speed. Though there are some that are 70 mph max.

Every mile above the max rating is shortening the life of your tires because of heat build up inside the tire. And, if you blow a tire on your TT while towing it will likely do some body damage before you can get stopped.

Everything about your trailer's suspension, tires, bearings, hitch, etc is engineered for speeds closer to 60-65 mph.

RVing is about slowing down and enjoying the trip. Not driving 80 on the Interstate.
Old 04-02-2022, 06:09 PM   #124
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Dave... not only does driving fast use gas but it is a tire destroyer as well. Check your tire sidewall. It should have a max speed for the tires. A great many of them have 65 mph as the max speed. Though there are some that are 70 mph max.

Every mile above the max rating is shortening the life of your tires because of heat build up inside the tire. And, if you blow a tire on your TT while towing it will likely do some body damage before you can get stopped.

Everything about your trailer's suspension, tires, bearings, hitch, etc is engineered for speeds closer to 60-65 mph.

RVing is about slowing down and enjoying the trip. Not driving 80 on the Interstate.
Thanks for the advise. I have no plans of travelling at 80 mph I was only testing the handling and mpg. I will mostly keep it around 70 and under because of the mpg difference.

However, the tires on my TT are "Q" rated which means they are rated for speeds up to 100 mph. Maybe other travel trailer tires have different limits.

My tires at Tirerack:
Goodyear Wrangler LT235/75R15
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220402_142242.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	182406  
Old 07-21-2022, 03:53 AM   #125
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRoll View Post
Planning a trip to Fort Pickens, FL in April. Will report back any findings/updates.
Quick update on the F150 after ~1500 miles. Mileage averaged between 8-12 MPG dependent on speed, wind and grade. The oversized tires have most likely contributed to a lower number than I anticipated.

PROS
  • Power and torque were more than sufficient. Barely felt I was pulling the TT
  • The 35 (not 36) gal. tank allowed me to go for practically a full day of travel without stopping for fuel
  • Onboard scale option takes out the guesswork on payload / tongue weight
  • The hitch camera make hooking up a snap

CONS
  • The front air dam will not allow a front hitch installation which I previously used to mount my E-bike carrier.
  • As of now, I still do not have a rear trailer camera as options seem to be limited

Tags
tow