Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Is this car to heavy for me to tow?

I just purchased a 1999 Minnie Winnie 30V and am beginning to research Toads. The rig is still at the dealer and is going to stay stored there for a couple of months so I wont have an opportunity to put it on Cat scales and see what it really weights. All I know for sure now is GVWR. I did read somewhere that "hitch weight" for this model is 3500 pounds. If that means tow weight then I'm pretty limited. That's OK, because I wanted a smaller car and one with AWD. I'm considering a stick shift older Impreza or Forester. I'm pretty sure that the Impreza would qualify, but I really like the Foresters. Finally, that's my question: Has anyone pulled an older Forester (2009 model year) successfully with an older vintage Winnie like mine?

Thanks for helpful comments.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi Tom-

I haven't pulled the exact combination you are considering, but since no one else has responded, I'll post some thoughts. I pull a 2700 lb toad, and I agree with almost all owners in that I don't even know it is back there ...... handling wise, that is; but I sure can tell a big difference when accelerating from a stop sign or climbing a 6% grade when the toad is hooked up.

I Googled up the 2009 Forester curb weight, and it listed it as 3250 to 3440. By US standards, that is supposed to include a full tank of fuel. So it looks like that should be "doable" for you....... especially if the 5-spd manual makes it come out closer to the lower number. I'd wager you have already looked at that data. BTW- For me (just as a matter of off-loading as much of my WGO chassis as possible) I load toolboxes, bottled water and other dense items in the toad; I know a lot of RVers do that but after you weigh your rig you may find you have more coach cargo carrying capacity than I do so it may not be a big deal. (My hydraulic levelers don't help me much in that regard.)

My rig has the exact same GVWR as yours; but is rated at 5K towing (with pretty skimpy downward hitch loads, but towing 4-down that is not a factor.) My guess (only) is that the towing number is limited by the transmission in a great many cases. I'm a "fraidy cat" I guess, but I change my transmission fluid annually while I am under there doing the chassis lube and (synthetic) engine oil change.....even though you can only drain about 40% of the tranny fluid out. The genuine Ford tranny fluid is pricey, but real cheap compared to new transmissions......just my take.

In any case, it would appear you will be fine, albeit loaded pretty close to the max and having to be careful what you carry......... like almost all the longer class A's on the Ford cutaway chassis. The shorter Class A's are usually way better off in that regard.

As far as hill climbing, one of the biggest hurdles to get over is knowing that that V-10 can run 4000 rpm all day.............it "flat don't care." And, it is noisy in the cab, for sure.

Safe travels..........and congrats on your new-to-you rig. Hopefully someone with a rig exactly like yours will chime in.

ed s in Denver
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My folks had a 2001 Minnie Winni 31 ft and pulled a 2002 Saturn S. It was an easy pull since the toad only weighs 2351 lbs.

Your Forester at 3400 lbs would be fine but I have one recommendation ...... get the Banks Headers/Exhaust system. I had a '99 Winnebago Chieftain 34 ft with a '99 Suzuki Grand Vitara in tow. The '99 V10 is 275 hp, while the 2002 has 310 hp. When I added the Banks it gave me similar power and torque as the later V10.

You also need to invest in aux braking system for the toad. It's amazing how much quicker you can stop. In most states by law it is mandatory. I've used SMI for 17 yrs now.

Happy trails,
Bill
Old 02-20-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Bill, Upgrading the Headers and Exhaust sound like $$ to me, so I will have to tow for awhile to decide if that would be worth it to me.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Ed, I've gone ahead and purchased a 2011 Forester manual tranny. Now to get it ready for towing. The manual transmission Foresters are the lighter curb weight, but are still close to maximum so I will have to be very careful loading anything in the Forester. I like your Toad choice, but I was mainly influenced by the need to have at least one vehicle at home with AWD. If we have snow that stays on the ground for a few days I must have AWD to get out of my driveway, otherwise we are stuck until it thaws.

Tags
tow