Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-25-2021, 07:37 PM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Truck will unquestionably use much more fuel to generate 2000W of power than a Honda 2kw generator would use. The genny is a carb which hurts it a bit, but the truck engine will consume several horsepower worth of fuel just to idle with no load.

A good backup for sure. But if you know you'll have to run it a lot, I'd bring a real genny. Cause yeah, you're also putting wear and tear on your expensive truck engine.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:33 PM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
Interesting. So it has a Lithium battery for starting? I wasn't sure they can put out the amps. Might be different chemistry, Lithium Polymer or Lithium Ion instead of Lithium Iron Phosphate.
The standard 12v starts the truck. The lithium ion battery powers the inverter for 7200watts of ac power. Here is a better explanation as to how the lithium battery works with the ICE, the inverter and the 12v battery:

“The 2.4- and 7.2-kW Pro Power systems are in an entirely different league. Both leverage the F-150 PowerBoost’s existing hybrid hardware, including the liquid-cooled 1.5 kWh lithium-ion battery pack. (A standard 12-volt battery is reserved for starting the vehicle.)

When activated, current travels from the battery to an onboard inverter that converts it to AC. If the battery charge gets low or demand spikes, the vehicle’s engine will start and recharge the battery via the drivetrain’s integrated 35-kW (47 horsepower) electric motor, which also functions as a generator (remember, it’s a hybrid).”
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:15 PM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Truck will unquestionably use much more fuel to generate 2000W of power than a Honda 2kw generator would use. The genny is a carb which hurts it a bit, but the truck engine will consume several horsepower worth of fuel just to idle with no load.

A good backup for sure. But if you know you'll have to run it a lot, I'd bring a real genny. Cause yeah, you're also putting wear and tear on your expensive truck engine.
The truck generates 7200 watts at 1.07 gals per hour. The Honda 5000 watt generator uses .97 gals per hour at max output.

Most small travel trailers run just fine with a 3000 watt generator even with ac. I expect that I will use less than 30 percent of the inverter’s max output or around 2400 watts for much less than 12 hours a day. I’ll be using about 15 percent of the max output. The truck has a 30.6 gallon tank. Obviously not full given travel to site, but I feel like I’ll have plenty of power using less fuel than a less than comparable Honda generator. And the truck idle is very quiet.

I’d be happy to do a trip report once I get to test it out. As for the engine wear, I’m going to trust that the Ford engineers on that, but who knows, it’s pretty much a first generation system so there may be some issues.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:04 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Wow, you've done your homework. Unlike most people, I like being proved wrong because it means I'm learning. Thanks for that. That is really fascinating that it would consume less power than a generator. Just so many CC's to move. Huh.

As for the engine wear, I'm not saying the engineers got anything wrong. Obviously it's designed to do it. It's just, it *is* more wear on the engine. It's running vs. not running.

Though, if that engine is used in police vehicles or taxi cabs for example, they would have planned for tons and tons of idling anyway. Las Vegas Taxi test for example is being able to idle at like 100F with full AC and not overheat.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Wow, you've done your homework. Unlike most people, I like being proved wrong because it means I'm learning. Thanks for that. That is really fascinating that it would consume less power than a generator. Just so many CC's to move. Huh.

As for the engine wear, I'm not saying the engineers got anything wrong. Obviously it's designed to do it. It's just, it *is* more wear on the engine. It's running vs. not running.

Though, if that engine is used in police vehicles or taxi cabs for example, they would have planned for tons and tons of idling anyway. Las Vegas Taxi test for example is being able to idle at like 100F with full AC and not overheat.
Time will definitely tell on the engine wear. Many people are concerned about the stop start feature found in many vehicles today and this is similar as the engine kicks on and off as needed to charge the Lithium Ion battery.

For now I am very excited to test the capabilities of the bed wall inverter with my 2100BH. With the overcrowding of campgrounds and more dispersed camping restrictions, having adequate power will add to our flexibility and spontaneity on the road and provide the opportunity to stay in places where most people don't go or can't go. lol Now I just have to figure out how to reduce my workload to get more time for the solitude we seek. The good news is that we have many options to choose from that are close to home, so shorter trips are going to be the norm while we learn and adapt.

This forum has been a great resource for us to avoid mistakes and efficiently learn many things the easy way, so I appreciate the back and forth and comments.

The 2100BH now comes with a 100 watt solar panel, not just "solar ready" so I expect to get familiar with that system and eventually increase the solar capacity because it would be fun and cleaner than using a gas powered generator, whether it be 3.5l twin turbo v6 Hybrid truck or a Honda 5000 portable generator.

btw the 7.2kw inverter/generator is only a $750.00 option, but it only comes with the Hybrid package, which is a $3,300 option, so little bit more $$ that a comparable generator, but also certainly not the only factor in buying this kind of vehicle. Some ideas will endure and become mainstream and some will fade away, but we will always be searching for things to make life better.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:53 AM   #46
Winnebago Owner

I'm buying an 1800BH, and already collecting what we need for an off-grid setup. Just got two 170 AH lithium batteries, will charge from a 30A DC-DC charger when towing, or 400W solar when not, and finally a 3000W inverter.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:08 AM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Wow,
You’re really going big with the adds.
Please keep us apprised of your progress.
I’m especially interested on how you’re going to get juice to your dc/dc charger. I bought one and returned it after I looked at the difficulty of running 6awg from engine alternator to the bumper. IMHO there’s too much voltage drop to try and squeeze juice through the 7-pin, and there’s also the necessity to buy a heavier duty alternator. You’ve probably looked at this and figured out a way to make it work.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:53 AM   #48
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, it's part of a whole capability upgrade that I'm doing. Justified it to the wife as where we are in Canada, and where we like to camp, we are all too often left without any power at all. She's actually excited about the opportunity to get full services off-grid.

I haven't actually looked at the alternator capacity itself, I assumed it would be fine. My truck had incandescent bulbs and I already replaced those with LED's so that reduces amp draw significantly. And it has an engine driven fan, which is another major load not there. I'm not sure what the alternator amperage is though, will look into it as I'm curious to know. Honestly, I didn't think 30A would be enough to worry about, but it's worth looking into.

I am planning on pulling a 4AWG to the back of the truck. I'm actually building a DIY version of an Australian style canopy back, and will have a "house" battery in the back of the truck itself, plus a winch. I was going to tap off that for a 30A DC-DC charger for the truck house battery. And then also going to a 50A Anderson plug I'm putting in the rear bumper. That is what will be used to feed the trailer, probably via 4AWG wire which is overkill but I happen to have a whole bunch lying around. (used to work for a wire and cable factory. )
Old 05-28-2021, 06:35 PM   #49
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Yeah, it's part of a whole capability upgrade that I'm doing. Justified it to the wife as where we are in Canada, and where we like to camp, we are all too often left without any power at all. She's actually excited about the opportunity to get full services off-grid.

I haven't actually looked at the alternator capacity itself, I assumed it would be fine. My truck had incandescent bulbs and I already replaced those with LED's so that reduces amp draw significantly. And it has an engine driven fan, which is another major load not there. I'm not sure what the alternator amperage is though, will look into it as I'm curious to know. Honestly, I didn't think 30A would be enough to worry about, but it's worth looking into.

I am planning on pulling a 4AWG to the back of the truck. I'm actually building a DIY version of an Australian style canopy back, and will have a "house" battery in the back of the truck itself, plus a winch. I was going to tap off that for a 30A DC-DC charger for the truck house battery. And then also going to a 50A Anderson plug I'm putting in the rear bumper. That is what will be used to feed the trailer, probably via 4AWG wire which is overkill but I happen to have a whole bunch lying around. (used to work for a wire and cable factory. )
I'd be careful with that. I'm not finding it right now, but I swear I just saw something about somebody burning out their alternator with a DC-DC charger on a 1-ton that had a giant capacity alternator. May have been on Youtube. Sponsored channel that was full-timing in Canada. I'll try to dig it up.

Good discussion here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...g-7-pin-2.html
Foothills83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:06 AM   #50
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the link.

I read through that and it only talks about burning out the alternator if you hook up Lithium batteries directly, which makes some sense to me. But isn't the case with 30A being controlled by a DC DC charger?

Let me know if you find more info please.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #51
Winnie-Wise

How would a Canyon with a Diesel 2.8 engine, 181HP, 369 Ft Lbs torque, 7,600 Tow rating, 1420 Lbs CCC. be for a Micro Minnie Trailer?
I know the CCC is lower considered when compared to larger tow vehs but I think it's something that can be worked around by being a single traveler.
Having a Diesel seems great with the engine brake, better fuel mileage and I don't think Biden's hatred of gas will impact Diesel near as much in the future. Diesel will always be available because of the trucking and farming industries.
I have been considering either the 1800 or 2100BH models. I think either one would be a pretty easy tow with a Canyon or Colorado with the right hitching.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:34 AM   #52
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
I don't think Biden's hatred of gas will impact Diesel near as much in the future.
Please be a bit more careful of posting political comments.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:53 PM   #53
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks for the link.

I read through that and it only talks about burning out the alternator if you hook up Lithium batteries directly, which makes some sense to me. But isn't the case with 30A being controlled by a DC DC charger?

Let me know if you find more info please.
Yeah. I think the setup I saw was different. Disregard.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:24 AM   #54
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothills83 View Post
Yeah. I think the setup I saw was different. Disregard.
Though I did run across another interesting video which talked about alternators burning out if you draw their rated load from them at low speed. Not enough airflow.

All interesting things to be aware of. I hope the engineers did their job right here.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:26 AM   #55
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
How would a Canyon with a Diesel 2.8 engine, 181HP, 369 Ft Lbs torque, 7,600 Tow rating, 1420 Lbs CCC. be for a Micro Minnie Trailer?
I know the CCC is lower considered when compared to larger tow vehs but I think it's something that can be worked around by being a single traveler.
Having a Diesel seems great with the engine brake, better fuel mileage and I don't think Biden's hatred of gas will impact Diesel near as much in the future. Diesel will always be available because of the trucking and farming industries.
I have been considering either the 1800 or 2100BH models. I think either one would be a pretty easy tow with a Canyon or Colorado with the right hitching.
Simply put, it will do fantastic. I have towed a larger trailer than that (if you read above) with my whole family in it.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:48 AM   #56
Winnebago Owner

Just picked up my 1800BH. Tows like a DREAM behind my Colorado diesel.

I was actually shocked how well. I averaged about 15L/100km (15.7MPG towing at 65mph on the 401 through Toronto), and into the 13's (say 17 MPG) when on perfectly flat and level highway at 65.

The real shocker was on secondary highway at 88 km/h (55mph) I saw as low as 12.0L/100km (19.5 MPG) on flat ground (not downhill), and averaged about 13.5 L/100km (17.5 MPG) over about 200 km including a DPF regen cycle.

My 2014 Nissan Frontier would use that much fuel not towing anything!
Old 06-06-2021, 08:03 AM   #57
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Just picked up my 1800BH. Tows like a DREAM behind my Colorado diesel.

I was actually shocked how well. I averaged about 15L/100km (15.7MPG towing at 65mph on the 401 through Toronto), and into the 13's (say 17 MPG) when on perfectly flat and level highway at 65.

The real shocker was on secondary highway at 88 km/h (55mph) I saw as low as 12.0L/100km (19.5 MPG) on flat ground (not downhill), and averaged about 13.5 L/100km (17.5 MPG) over about 200 km including a DPF regen cycle.

My 2014 Nissan Frontier would use that much fuel not towing anything!
That is awesome! We are currently the same price for Diesel as Gasoline. Your mileage report is awesome! For no more than it cost for the Diesel option you will have that paid for in no time.
Congrats on the new trailer and great truck!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:09 AM   #58
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothills83 View Post
I'd be careful with that. I'm not finding it right now, but I swear I just saw something about somebody burning out their alternator with a DC-DC charger on a 1-ton that had a giant capacity alternator. May have been on Youtube. Sponsored channel that was full-timing in Canada. I'll try to dig it up.

Good discussion here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...g-7-pin-2.html
Here's a good video that was just released a few days ago. Good comments also.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:04 PM   #59
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRoll View Post
Here's a good video that was just released a few days ago. Good comments also.
Thanks! I had actually already watched that one. 🙂 (I think the day he put it up.)

Very informative, for sure.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #60
Winnebago Owner

I've seen some discussion about the "smart alternator" on the Colorado/Canyon, and I checked out how mine was operating. I can confirm, that the alternator control in the truck, does operate as others say. While cruising, it can shut off the alternator entirely, and will start drawing on the battery. I saw 12.5V. So that would shut off the charging on a DC/DC charger.

However, in tow/haul mode, it never drops that low. I saw 13.5V. This should be enough to keep the Renogy DC-DC charger going.

Tags
tow