Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-28-2021, 11:55 AM   #101
Winnebago Owner

That set up beats holding a full 5 gallon jug tilted just right. Not that I mind a little work, but little advantages add up.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:25 AM   #102
Winnebago Watcher

I have a WDH on a 2100bh and am happily towing with a CPO 2013 Porsche Cayenne diesel. I bought both last summer and am super happy. I get around 13mpg on a day towing with elevation gain and 15-19 on most tow days depending upon the grade and speed limit. I stick to the speed limit unless it’s windy or I need to stretch the fuel. I have not really had trouble with stability. Tow capacity is 7800 lbs with a 700 lb tongue weight.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:39 AM   #103
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMcD View Post
I have a WDH on a 2100bh and am happily towing with a CPO 2013 Porsche Cayenne diesel. I bought both last summer and am super happy. I get around 13mpg on a day towing with elevation gain and 15-19 on most tow days depending upon the grade and speed limit. I stick to the speed limit unless it’s windy or I need to stretch the fuel. I have not really had trouble with stability. Tow capacity is 7800 lbs with a 700 lb tongue weight.
Wow, talk about outside the box. Impressive performance, torque and mileage. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:52 AM   #104
Winnebago Camper

Chevy Colorado 2.8 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaSoCal View Post
Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this and looking to purchase a 18ft Micro Minnie. Probably looking at 4,000 with all my stuff. Problem is, I dont know what the best suv/truck to haul it is.

I've done a ton of research and realized there is more than just needing 5,000lb towing capacity. I also need to be aware of power, safety, etc. I am a single mom with a little girl and need to get this right :P

In many forums, I saw that people regretted buying a certain truck/suv because it struggled going up hills or scared them (brakes) downhill or swayed with strong winds so I'm trying to figure out what is the best option.

I also would like something that is great for everyday. It's just the two of us so I didnt want to buy a huge vehicle. I would also love to be able to fit the vehicle in my garage.

We will mostly be going out from San Diego to Havasu, maybe Big Sur, Zion, and possibly up to Oregon this summer. So what is the best vehicle?

Ford F150, Chevy Colorado, Jeep Gladiator or something like the Tacoma, Highlander, Explorer, etc. ?

What specifically should I look for in a package - diesel vs. gas, certain features tow/haul button, etc). I want it to be as easy as possible and know how to safely and automatically when possible change gears.

I really want to get this right! and would so appreciate any advice! - Jessica
We have a Colorado with the 2.8 liter Diesel and love it! It's a 2016 and we've towed a 2018 Micro Minnie 2106DS from Tucson to WA state a couple times and down to Mexico 1/2 dozen times, before the Micro Minnie we towed a 19' Starcraft through the mountains of CO. and all over the SW, nary a problem, average MPG towing is 16 and 32 on highway not towing, I feel sorry for people not having a diesel.
splitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #105
Winnebago Camper

I got my Micro Minnie 2100BH and initially I was planning to use my BMW X5, it's in par with towing capacity and everything but then, after bringing it home (600 miles trip) I decided to go truck route as well. Got 2021 RAM 1500 5.7'' with HEMI V8, towing capacity is 11.6K. Towing like a champ, comfortable and plenty of room to upgrade a camper in the future. So far we are happy with this route. Will see how it goes. Truck fits our garage from wall to the door, no space left, but it fits, main point.
vetaldj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:59 AM   #106
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetaldj View Post
I got my Micro Minnie 2100BH and initially I was planning to use my BMW X5, it's in par with towing capacity and everything but then, after bringing it home (600 miles trip) I decided to go truck route as well. Got 2021 RAM 1500 5.7'' with HEMI V8, towing capacity is 11.6K. Towing like a champ, comfortable and plenty of room to upgrade a camper in the future. So far we are happy with this route. Will see how it goes. Truck fits our garage from wall to the door, no space left, but it fits, main point.
I considered towing our 2100BH with my wife's BMW X5 45e (with tow package). I could have met the weight and tongue-load specs (barely), but unfortunately the X5 is not rated for a WDH (something I view as a must-have on short light-duty tow vehicles). 1/2-ton pickups are really ideal for the Micro Minnie.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:20 AM   #107
blubugger

We have a 2106ds being pulled by our 2015 Ford Explorer Sport (twin-turbo). Mountains and hills are never a problem. Depending on wind and direction we have gotten up to 12mpg (mid-grade gas). With a strong headwind.....down to 9 or 10mpg!
With todays gas prices, we will do shorter trips. Sad!
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #108
Winnebago Watcher

Colorado or Suburban Diesel

We have a 1800BH that we tow with a 2015 Suburban. It does well, with the exception of gas mileage and the transmission dropping into lower gears which doesn't "feel" great.
Considering going with a diesel. Any opinions on what would give the better experience - the mid sized Colorado/Canyon with the 2.8L Duramax or the Suburban/Yukon-XL with the 3.0 L Duramax?
Or - should I just be happy with my 2015 Suburban?
MW18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:01 PM   #109
Winnebago Owner

Our gas Canyon does a good job towing our MM. The Canyon Duramax would do even better. Because the MM is 7ft wide, you can still see without extension mirrors. We get 12awg towing, a lot of it mountains. You could probable expect 15 or better with the Duramax.
Old 12-19-2021, 04:07 PM   #110
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW18 View Post
We have a 1800BH that we tow with a 2015 Suburban. It does well, with the exception of gas mileage and the transmission dropping into lower gears which doesn't "feel" great.
Considering going with a diesel. Any opinions on what would give the better experience - the mid sized Colorado/Canyon with the 2.8L Duramax or the Suburban/Yukon-XL with the 3.0 L Duramax?
Or - should I just be happy with my 2015 Suburban?
Gosh, that's a hard thing to make a decision on. So many factors.

I mean, I think it's unquestionable that a Suburban, or even a Sierra, with the 3.0L Diesel is just going to tow that much better than a Colorado with the 2.8L. Though the 2.8L tows the MM quite handily. I think you'll really "not feel it's there" even more with the bigger truck.

I think either choice will do a good job, and it really depends on which suits you more the rest of the time. Colorado is smaller, so easier to park, a little more fun to drive, etc.

But if you live rural, and parking isn't a big deal, and you want a fully secure and weatherproof SUV, then the Suburban obviously makes sense.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:43 PM   #111
Winnebago Watcher

Clarification for my really broad question

Thanks for the responses R_Lefebvre and Marine359. Perhaps a little more background would help.

Several years ago, we made one of the bigger mistakes in our Travel Trailer history when we downsized our Excursion V10 to the Chrysler Aspen with the Hemi because it looked good on paper. We were pulling a Frontier 26RB (I think). The Excursion was a great experience. When we went to the Aspen, however, power was fine, but all the other things like sway, wind, semis blowing past, going downhill on a curve, etc. were awful. I spent a lot of time white-knuckling it. My wife says I would not communicate with her, because I was so focused on trying not to die. We went to a Pro-Pride Pivot Point Projection hitch, which made life better, but not great.

So, I am trying to make sure that I don't make that mistake again. The idea of downsizing is nice. We don't have as many kids running around the house, so now a pickup is an option.

I've never towed with a pickup, and part of what I wondered was: Does a stiffer suspension (potentially) on a midsized pickup (specifically the Colorado/Canyon since they seem to get the best tow ratings) make up for a little bit shorter wheelbase and a little lighter vehicle, so that it is mostly a wash - or would that be another decision that made my RV'ing experience less pleasant.

The other question off the question is: Is the Duramax really worth it, because that is the potential improvement in the equation?
MW18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:52 AM   #112
Winnebago Owner

Well.... one thing I'll say, and I really believe this, is that everybody has a different tolerance for less than perfect stability. You may be more sensitive than others. Or not. I don't know, as I never towed that combo. You do run into people on the internet who will tell you you need an F-350 to tow anything bigger than a tent trailer. I just hate to make a recommendation based on my feelings, that maybe you wouldn't like.

That being said...

I'm not super surprised that you found that setup a bit sketchy feeling. Prior to this setup, I had a Nissan Frontier towing a 23' Coachmen Apex. I had a WD hitch with friction sway control. Pretty basic setup. It towed OK, and while I was not white knuckle, I wasn't totally relaxed. It was the size of the thing, not just the dynamics (weight/sway/etc). Though I did feel the trailer pushing the truck around, I wasn't constantly afraid of dying.

I can just imagine that with a similar weight but shorter WB truck (Aspen), and an even bigger trailer, that it would be even worse. I've seen people towing 26-28 foot trailers with Colorados, and I think that's nuts. I know it will pull it, but, it just seems pretty unreasonable.

The suspension stiffness does matter. I have a ZR2 with Multimatic suspension that is very very well damped. Most "off-road" package trucks have softer dampers than normal, but the Multimatics are pretty unique technology, allowing them to be more firm on-road, without being harsh off-road. Anyway, pay attention to this. I wouldn't recommend something like a Tacoma TRD Pro or Ranger Tremor for max towing. ZR2 will do it (as will the base models).

One idea: I wonder if you could find a Colorado to rent for a day, to go for a real test drive?

For the Duramax, I don't think it's worth it economically. Never will be. But IMO, it's worth it for the experience. It just feels so much more confident. It pulls like a freight train. Not fast. But you just feel that it can pull and pull all day long and it's completely non-fussed. In particularly, my Frontier had 260hp, in a sweet sounding V6. But it gets nerve wracking hearing that thing screaming away going up long grades. I don't ever hear the diesel. It's just a low thrum in the background. And going down grades with the exhaust brake is amazing. We towed around the Gaspe peninsula this summer, and area where some fret due to the grades. I barely noticed. I didn't even have to touch the brakes for anything less than a 10% grade. And even, I think I did like 16% downhill, and it was no problem. Chugged down the hill mostly on the engine brake, and only had to apply the actual brakes at the bottom where the speed limit changed.

All this being said, we did a 3 week trip from Ottawa, around Gaspe, to PEI, Halifax, Fundy, etc. and it was absolutely enjoyable. I never really felt stressed. It was so relaxing compared to a similar trip we did with our previous setup.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:20 PM   #113
Winnebagel

So, I never really had any issues towing my 2100BH in my home province (Canadian prairies) with my full sized SUV last summer, but as we started to venture into areas with more elevation, I thought a more powerful TV was in order.

Ended up ordering a 2022 Ford F-150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost. By no means the most capable tow vehicle but I think it should be plenty adequate for my 2100BH and young family of 4.

Initially made a reservation for the F-150 Lightning, but delivery times were looking like autumn, and I need it for summer. Plus the fact that it’s not really tow tested yet. The Ranger/Canyon/Colorado were also strong contenders but were not compatible with my 198cm frame in conjunction with car seats.
jwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:15 PM   #114
Winnebago Camper

I saw one Frontier owner. I will ask for others to help me with my 2019 Frontier SV, 4.0 DOHC V6, pulling a 2019 Micro, seems to do fine (60-65 mph) on flat Arkansas roads, but we're heading to Wyoming and Montana this summer. What do you think?
Gary Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:27 AM   #115
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gregg View Post
I saw one Frontier owner. I will ask for others to help me with my 2019 Frontier SV, 4.0 DOHC V6, pulling a 2019 Micro, seems to do fine (60-65 mph) on flat Arkansas roads, but we're heading to Wyoming and Montana this summer. What do you think?
Your question would be near impossible to answer as you have not provided many details. Have you actually weighed your setup on a CAT scale and/or researched GVWR/payload?

"Seeming" to do fine on flat roads is one thing. Everyone has a different towing "tolerance".
Old 01-22-2022, 08:42 AM   #116
Winnebago Camper

Frontier

Thanks. I have weighed vehicles and all are in line with mfg guidelines. Tongue weight included. I know it will bog some on long inclines, but I don’t want to ruin engine. I’m trying to avoid trading for a bigger tow vehicle. We do plan to take several local trips and pull some long hills to test all this.
Some reply mentioned converting to a larger radiator. ????????
Gary Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:04 AM   #117
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gregg View Post
Thanks. I have weighed vehicles and all are in line with mfg guidelines. Tongue weight included. I know it will bog some on long inclines, but I don’t want to ruin engine. I’m trying to avoid trading for a bigger tow vehicle. We do plan to take several local trips and pull some long hills to test all this.
Some reply mentioned converting to a larger radiator. ????????
You might try the Frontier forums for more vehicle-specific info regarding towing. I considered the Frontier myself (FIL has one) at one point and it looks pretty capable/durable overall. Lots of folks there with towing experience.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:35 PM   #118
Winnebago Owner

My wife and I have two tow vehicles for our Winnie Drop. Which is a smaller class of longer single axle trailer that is heavier than most.
Our experience is that a WD hitch is a must with our 2006 GMC Envoy, 4.2ltr full 4wd SUV. Even though the Envoy is the tow package one with automatic air bag suspension a WD hitch is absolutely recommended. The reason is keeping stability up by increasing the loading to the front of the short wheel based car.
With our longer wheel base 2003 4.8 GMC 2WD a distribution hitch is not as much of a concern as the truck is heavy enough to remain stable without causing too much unloading of the steering axle with only about 370 lbs of tongue weight on the hitch. The trailer is never loaded over 3000 as the axle is only rated at 3500. So the truck can pull more cargo without ever coming close to the max carrying capacity on the stickers.

The interesting part is that the SUV can carry a fair amount of cargo. 800lbs including passengers. Both have the 4L60 E GM trans and are almost identical in gear usage hauling the trailer. But the truck uses about 7 to 10% more gas than the SUV and has more grunt at lower speeds than the 4.2 despite both having VVT engines.

If I could afford it I would switch to a more fuel efficient diesel but it would not make financial sense to dump our wheels again just to save perhaps 10-15% on fuel costs.

The really great part is that the 1710s Winnie Drop makes a perfect guest cabin with full facilities for relatives when they visit. And can sleep up to 2 young kids and their parents in a pinch.

So if worst happens and our wheels start having more trouble than they are worth we will just suffer through and find an older half ton pickup, because for us the selection of a decent pick up even if it has an engine that sucks a little too much fuel around town is the best option for hauling the trailer by far. Either that or two or three of these beasts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Draft-Horse-Breeds.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	181771  
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:07 AM   #119
Winnie-Wise

Good post reeman. Helpful to show two somewhat different vehicles under similar conditions including the driver.

7-10% better mileage is usually 1-2 MPG and could be easily attributed to weight, rear differential gearing and/or basic wind resistance/efficiencies.
Old 03-19-2022, 10:01 PM   #120
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
I intend to tow the Minnie with a 19' 5.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. Even though it does have a short wheelbase it comes with a 7200# towing capacity and my Minnie will not come close to touching that. Power is not an issue at all either. I don't expect to need a WDH and Jeep only "recommends" one for over 5000#. But I will add one if I feel the need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
I'm very happy with my setup, and with that 5.7L I don't think you are going to have too much trouble with a Minnie. But your short wheelbase comment is spot on. My 2108DS did have a knack for kicking me around a bit, but the WDH anti-sway really brought it under control. I'd just plan for the hitch
I just picked up my 2108FBS today. I had to drive for about 5 hours to get it home. Power was not an issue, but MPG was. I believe it was due to the air resistance since it has a much larger frontal area than my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was getting about 8-9 MPG at 70 MPH on level ground and 4 MPG at 80 MPH under similar circumstances. At 60 MPH I was getting around 11 MPG. Going uphill I seen it drop as low as 2 MPG depending on the grade.

I was driving West across Iowa to go home, but about 30 minutes into the trip I had to turn around and go back to the dealership because I forgot something. I noticed that the MPG was much better on the way back East, which I believe is in the same direction as the wind was blowing. So instead of fighting against the wind it was blowing the trailer like a sail boat.

I'll be keeping it under 70 MPH I guess. It doesn't seem worth it to go faster, especially with the price of gas now.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow