Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Annoying honking on tow car

I have a 2012 Enclave. I tow it behind my motorhome. The manual says that I have to pull two fuses when towing.

I start the engine and let it run before I begin the day. I turn off the engine, pull the fuses, turn the key to accessory (leaving the key in ignition and the transmission in Neutral), lock the car. And begin towing.

At lunch time or at the end of the day, I go back to start the car. When I put the key in the door and open the door the horn start to honk. It continues to honk until after I have raised the hood and replaced the fuses. This is annoying.

What am I doing wrong?
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

My car did the same thing. It did not being unlocked manually, I always had to unlock it using a fob to prevent the honking.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You could always pull the horn fuse too.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Maybe it sets off your alarm because it thinks you are trying to steal your toad !
Old 11-19-2016, 06:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
I have a 2012 Enclave. I tow it behind my motorhome. The manual says that I have to pull two fuses when towing.

I start the engine and let it run before I begin the day. I turn off the engine, pull the fuses, turn the key to accessory (leaving the key in ignition and the transmission in Neutral), lock the car. And begin towing.

At lunch time or at the end of the day, I go back to start the car. When I put the key in the door and open the door the horn start to honk. It continues to honk until after I have raised the hood and replaced the fuses. This is annoying.

What am I doing wrong?
I tow a 2014 Buick Enclave and have been trying to figure out what causes it also. The last trip that we went on I manually locked all the doors after the 2 fuses were disabled and on the drivers door I locked it with a key from the outside after the door was shut. When I opened the drivers door with my extra key the horn did not blow. Someone stated that the alarm system is activated when the power lock button is used. Hope this helps.
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks Ed ...

I will try that ... I am parked for a couple more weeks ... but that makes sense
Old 11-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

We had this problem our first trip towing our 2016 GMC Acadia. On our 2nd venture towing our kids were ready with their cameras, but we foiled their plan to capture our embarrassment by not locking the car. The problem was we had to open the car to release the hood to replace the fuse there, then get to the back seat area to replace 2 fuses before starting, which shut off the horn.

Our fix was DH put a switch (for the fuse) behind the front license plate (where all the brakes and electrical connections are, so they are not visible when the plate is in place for normal use). Now we can switch on the power to the car without opening the hood, and use the remote to unlock the car so the alarm doesn't trigger. He mounted a switch for the other two fuses under the driver seat, so it can be reached while seated in the driver position or from outside the car. No more having to pull fuses. :-)
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

You were right!!!

We towed the Enclave again today.

I locked all the doors (except the driver's door) with the electric locks before I disabled the fuses. I then manually locked the driver's door by pushdown the inside door lock.

When I arrived at the destination NO HORN HONKING.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I do not use the electric door locks at all but I'm glad it worked for you.
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:11 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
We towed the Enclave again today.

I locked all the doors (except the driver's door) with the electric locks before I disabled the fuses. I then manually locked the driver's door by pushdown the inside door lock.

When I arrived at the destination NO HORN HONKING.
I knew you could do it. I told someone to do that exact same thing in another post
Old 12-06-2016, 04:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Next time let your wife out before pulling the towed?

Glad it all worked out
wizechatmgr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow