Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-11-2021, 07:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

View/Navion Yearly model updates comparison .. whats the difference?

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a used View or Navion 24j Model 2015+. Wondering if anyone knows of a website or list that easily compares any changes or upgrades that have happened with each new years model coming out.

Are there any particular years with significant upgrades between 2015-2018, Or specific years to avoid?

Thank you
Ldesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would almost bet there were changes over that long a time period, especially in the electronics area as it is moving so fast. How big those work out to be is often going to be what you are "excited" to get!
Some are excited to see they can get flashing colored lights on the radio while I find I'm not too concerned with that!
I might first start with the online owners manuals and look for any changes in that.
This is the first step on a world of info:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...s-and-diagrams

I'm more concerned about how the bed fits in and if the head or foot sticks out on a slideout as well as if we can walk to the back without extending any slides and lots of that is not going to be seen in the manuals.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

You might be able to compare used units on this website with some customized filters. I've never done it, but it looks possible.
https://www.rvingplanet.com
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

There are several mostly small changes Winnebago made to the View/Navion over the years you're looking at.
During our search for a 24V I figured out that most were made mid model year such as the galley window on the V was added mid 2015. They added solar prewiring and SAT prewire in 2015 (I think) as well as the HDMI cable to the rear TV. It might also be the year that the Truma water heater became an option. I think 2017 or 18 was the first year for the AC only fridge which was a deal breaker for us since we boondock a lot.
We found a slightly used 2016 24V that was equipped just the way we wanted and are still happy with our choice.
I have no info specific to the J model.
I called Winnebago a couple of times with the VIN# of units we were looking at and they were able to provide info from the build sheet.
Regards, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_094654.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	451.8 KB
ID:	176794   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190429_195122.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	176795  

Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour2Lane View Post
There are several mostly small changes Winnebago made to the View/Navion over the years you're looking at.
During our search for a 24V I figured out that most were made mid model year such as the galley window on the V was added mid 2015. They added solar prewiring and SAT prewire in 2015 (I think) as well as the HDMI cable to the rear TV. It might also be the year that the Truma water heater became an option. I think 2017 or 18 was the first year for the AC only fridge which was a deal breaker for us since we boondock a lot.
We found a slightly used 2016 24V that was equipped just the way we wanted and are still happy with our choice.
I have no info specific to the J model.
I called Winnebago a couple of times with the VIN# of units we were looking at and they were able to provide info from the build sheet.
Regards, Mike
Thanks for the feedback, I also read elsewhere regarding the fridge. That is good to know. If you don't mind me asking what kind of motorcycle do you have on the back there? What is the weight of it? I would like to have a bike on the back as well and have read 500lbs max lip weight on the hitch.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My "motorcycle" is a 1500 watt custom electric bicycle. It's the minibike my parents would never let me have as a kid. Approx 64lbs plus the rack. It'll do 34 mph with my lard butt on it.
I believe you are correct on the 500lb hitch weight capacity.
Regards, Mike
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

hahaha awesome ... thanks again for the info. ride safe!
Old 01-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I may not have been as thorough as might help when I referred to the info online. One of the really nice places to look for detailed info is the parts catalog here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
It takes some time to get the details of using it down but if you sort through all the different year, make and models, you are interested in, you can get down to a point which lets you see a full view of almost all the parts of the RV on one side of the screen and a list of the parts on the right side. The detailed list on the right can give you really intense details like what size converter it has, part numbers to things will let you dig as deep as you want into things like the frig manual online, etc.
If you really get obsessed with shopping details, you can see where the black and grey water tank and drains are located!!
Possible it is not the level of detail you need for buying but it can also show thing later after you buy. I use it frequently to find things that folks need to know like "where is the coax splitter for the TV".
Just too much good info to ignore?

Where are the furnace ducts on a 2015 Navion 24 J?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24J.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	176796  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I may not have been as thorough as might help when I referred to the info online. One of the really nice places to look for detailed info is the parts catalog here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
It takes some time to get the details of using it down but if you sort through all the different year, make and models, you are interested in, you can get down to a point which lets you see a full view of almost all the parts of the RV on one side of the screen and a list of the parts on the right side. The detailed list on the right can give you really intense details like what size converter it has, part numbers to things will let you dig as deep as you want into things like the frig manual online, etc.
If you really get obsessed with shopping details, you can see where the black and grey water tank and drains are located!!
Possible it is not the level of detail you need for buying but it can also show thing later after you buy. I use it frequently to find things that folks need to know like "where is the coax splitter for the TV".
Just too much good info to ignore?

Where are the furnace ducts on a 2015 Navion 24 J?
definitely looks like a powerful tool and great resource. Thanks again for sharing.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:48 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Main changes were to the cooktop with the introduction of the induction burner and having only a single propane burner, the location of the convection oven, and the DC only fridge as was mentioned. Solar panel and charge controller setup is the bare minimum to keep the fridge running but at least the wiring is in place which makes it easier and cheaper to upgrade it. 2021 made for the slide-out extending further and the addition of an automatic transfer switch to change from shore power to the generator AC which is the one thing they got right.

2020 and 2021 use the new Sprinter cab chassis which had significant improvements over its predecessor. For the most part though one would be better off buying an RV that uses the new Ford F-450 cab chassis that greatly increases the OCCC and the towing capacity for a toad.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
Main changes were to the cooktop with the introduction of the induction burner and having only a single propane burner, the location of the convection oven, and the DC only fridge as was mentioned. Solar panel and charge controller setup is the bare minimum to keep the fridge running but at least the wiring is in place which makes it easier and cheaper to upgrade it. 2021 made for the slide-out extending further and the addition of an automatic transfer switch to change from shore power to the generator AC which is the one thing they got right.

2020 and 2021 use the new Sprinter cab chassis which had significant improvements over its predecessor. For the most part though one would be better off buying an RV that uses the new Ford F-450 cab chassis that greatly increases the OCCC and the towing capacity for a toad.

Thanks for the detailed info .. I have been reading that regarding the OCCC on the older sprinter chassis prior to 2021 ... do you know of any specific brands and models that have a similar layout and size to the 24J utilizing that F-450 chassis?
Old 01-11-2021, 05:48 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

One is the Coachmen Crosstrek 24G. The 2021 Forest River RV Sunseeker LE 2350SLE Ford has a GVWR rating that is 3,000 lbs higher than that of the Sprinter based RVs and the GCWR is 7500 lbs greater with the Ford cab chassis.

The gas powered rigs will burn more fuel but they have much larger 55 gallon gas tanks to compensate. Not a big difference in annual operating costs and far easier to find a mechanic to work on a Ford gas engine than the Mercedes diesel engine.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
One is the Coachmen Crosstrek 24G. The 2021 Forest River RV Sunseeker LE 2350SLE Ford has a GVWR rating that is 3,000 lbs higher than that of the Sprinter based RVs and the GCWR is 7500 lbs greater with the Ford cab chassis.

The gas powered rigs will burn more fuel but they have much larger 55 gallon gas tanks to compensate. Not a big difference in annual operating costs and far easier to find a mechanic to work on a Ford gas engine than the Mercedes diesel engine.
I will check both of them out, thanks for the information.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Your above advice and suggestions are right on the money. It's not the best to drive around a motorhome that is constantly loading it's underlying chassis close to it's maximum.

We have a 24V on a Ford E450 chassis and as such, the chassis is considerably under it's design limits for both weight carrying ability and braking power. As a result it's handling and stability are excellent under all conditions since nothing is being pushed to the limit.

The Ford chassis rear duals are also wider apart than those on the Sprinter, so side-to-side lateral stability is much improved with the Ford chassis under a motorhome.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:28 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Your above advice and suggestions are right on the money. It's not the best to drive around a motorhome that is constantly loading it's underlying chassis close to it's maximum.

We have a 24V on a Ford E450 chassis and as such, the chassis is considerably under it's design limits for both weight carrying ability and braking power. As a result it's handling and stability are excellent under all conditions since nothing is being pushed to the limit.

The Ford chassis rear duals are also wider apart than those on the Sprinter, so side-to-side lateral stability is much improved with the Ford chassis under a motorhome.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am looking around at higher load capacity now. Those models mentioned before are pretty nice and similar to the 24J view/navion all accept for not having the slide out for the living room and I do appreciate that additional space when parked.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:22 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Are you part of the View/Navion Motorhomes group on Facebook? It seems like this has been asked there and someone may have put together a chart...but I’m old so don’t quote me on that ����
tinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:25 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinaco View Post
Are you part of the View/Navion Motorhomes group on Facebook? It seems like this has been asked there and someone may have put together a chart...but I’m old so don’t quote me on that ����
ah I am not on facebook, must be someone else with the same questions.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Seems like you'd be better off just looking for what units are available and then compare their features (which should easy to do). Otherwise you will be doing a lot of work for potentially little return.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:53 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtisis View Post
Seems like you'd be better off just looking for what units are available and then compare their features (which should easy to do). Otherwise you will be doing a lot of work for potentially little return.
yeap nothing like in person viewing and comparing, thanks for all the help and advice everyone.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

If you are interested in the Ford E450. I would wait until the 2021 chassis. It has the V8 but also a smaller engine cover.
The V10 was longer and the cover took up too much leg room. The current V8 models have the old cover.

Tags
view